Old 01-June-2005, 14:50
Brechenme

Default Speed Prob

Out of no where my computer is lagging. LIKe on Windows XP when it goes to the "Windows is now shutting down" it lags there, and on start up my com puter use to be able to go right when Windows loaded, now it hits a spot for like 30 sec-2min of loading and i can't do anything. But after that time my computer runs like it use to.

I went into MSconfig and shut off like everything, no help. I got a program called Bootvis, no help. Antivirus, No Help. Defragged, not much help.

This is killing me because it happened out of no where, i just came home one day and it did this. The newest program installed since this problem started to occur was Nvidia's Desktop crap and AIM (with Ad Remover).

Help please...........
Old 01-June-2005, 15:26
Brechenme

Default Re: Speed Prob

UPDATE

I uninstalled AIM because i know that is probably riddled with crap. When i went to reboot after uninstall i got held up on Shutting down so i just manually did it, upon restart windows game me an error report which sent me to a place to get a Win32 patch type file, KB894391. I have to go so i cannot really test my computer anymore to see if it is fixing it but i doubt it helped my start up time.

O yah get Bootvis if you don't already have it, it helps alot. Even though some hidden program keeps making my computer slow down it gets me to my desktop Really really fast.
Old 02-June-2005, 02:12
Brechenme

I changed my antivirus to Scan "better", it still didn't help. That update from Windows seems to help the shut down just a little bit, but not always. I am trying to clean my computer up agian and see how it works. This is killing me because i don't do anything then i came home after my brother using my computer and **** is going slow, i came home after he used it agian today and it seemed real slow agian. He is not a computer retard and doesn't screw stuff up, but i don't know how to fix my problem because i didn't cause it.
Old 02-June-2005, 08:53
Screamager

Hiya.

Have you scanned the PC for Spyware, etc. An Anti-Virus program does not always find Spyware, if at all.

Maybe your Bro picked up something nasty when he was using the PC.

At what point does the PC hang when booting up, it is usually indicated on the screen where it is hanging, EG. Loading Desktop, Preparing Network Connections, etc.
Old 02-June-2005, 15:27
Brechenme

Yes i scanned for spyware, nothing. Umm normally my windows pops up and is ready to use now it Pops up and for one sec it is at the ready to use spot then it starts like "loading" something for 1-2min that disables me from using anything till it is done. Once it is done i can use it. On shut down it goes through the motions logging>saving settings>system is shutting down and it hangs at the shut down.
Old 02-June-2005, 16:20
Screamager

Hmm! usually that means whatever the program is, that is loading on bootup, may be affecting your shutdown as well.

I know programs like Go Back etc, cause the system to stall sometimes if it is running, I have also seen Nortons programs do similar things, even an Anti-Virus program can cause a delay if it is set to scan on bootup and shutdown.

Can you get into the Task Manager/Applications tab and/or Processes tab when the PC hangs at bootup, by right clicking on the Taskbar at the bottom of the screen or press CTRL+ALT+DEL and see if anything in there is not known to you, or maybe recently added.

You could also try the Task Manager on shutdown aswell, it may give you a clue.

Have you got any kind of Schedular/Backup program running that may cause the problem.

Have you altered any settings recently that you havent altered before.
Old 02-June-2005, 21:23
Brechenme

umm the problem occrued when i had like no problems starting up.

Ctr Alt Delete i have done and i don't remember seeing anything, i am not in front of the compyter right now so i am going off memory. I think i might have to just Re-do windows and just never let my bro on the computer agian but that isn't that hard because he is only visiting.
Old 03-June-2005, 13:25
Screamager

Hiya.

Although strange things can happen to a PC on their own, the problem seems to all stem from your Brother using it, Lol.

Most people will deny any wrong doing on their part, but unless they admit to it, there isnt a lot you can do about it.

There again you mention AIM causing problems when uninstalling and having to turn off the PC manually, that in itself may have caused the problem, especially if any files were corrupted from an incorrect shutdown. But if AIM was installed prior to the problem and didnt cause any problems in that time, AIM could be eliminated from the process.

Maybe a re-install would be best and elminate the problem in one go.
Old 04-June-2005, 04:28
Brechenme

yah everything was cool before, EVEN AIM WOW!!!!, yah but i said F**K it and just reinstalled that Son of a Bitch Windows XP but now my keyboard on my computer is F***ed up. When i press R i get 0 when i press CAPS LOCK i get A. Microsofts troubleshooter sent me to a thing that just showed me that is was wrong and the troubleshooter did nothing for me.
Old 04-June-2005, 04:36
Shadow9684s

maybe keyboard is set up for japanese or something :o)
Old 05-June-2005, 07:57
Brechenme

i just ****ed and was like "errr what can i do?" *light bulb* take out the batteries, wait, put them back in. AND IT WORKED. Damn those simple answers.

Tags
computer, compy, delay, files, home, lock, network, remover, screen, settings, slow, speed, virus, windows