Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > Hardware > ADSL Router Mods

Old 03-June-2008, 01:22
mastercare

Default Re: Unlocking BT Home Hub **Upgrade at your own risk**

ok thanks to everyone for advise on HH i have set one up as a repeater this has solved my imediate problems with pc in workshop.along with internal wifi card all is well.shall watch this post for further interesting projects with HH
cheers
Old 05-June-2008, 00:48
leviaxxan

Hi,

I'm not sure if it's been asked in this thread (I couldn't find it if it has) I'm trying to get a Home hub to use my asterisk PBX instead of the usual BT or sipgate. It's trying to connect to asterisk but asterisk is giving it a 401 Unauthorized response, i've tried all the settings I can think of in the sip.conf file to no avail.

The username and password are correct as if I use an incorrect username or password asterisk throws that up in the debug. Has anybody tried to or been successful in getting the home hub to connect to asterisk via SIP?

Thanks
Old 06-June-2008, 03:46
Screamager

I use TrixBox (asterisk update).
The Home hubs work fine on that

Configuer an extension as required
Make sure that the traffic is routed via ETH on the homehub and not adsl
Set the Sip settings to match the extension settings and presto.!!!

Sorry that is a little vague,!
But needless to say it can be done and all the info is here on this thread.
I use the software I wrote to do all my settings and it works fine.
Old 06-June-2008, 03:53
Screamager

Exclamation Re: Unlocking BT Home Hub **Upgrade at your own risk**

Hi There

Thanks for that v.useful post. I have two Thomson 716WL's, which I've tried the same things with, the good news is that I can confirm the same procedure works with my setup (effectively using the second 716WL as a wireless bridge).

However, I have been unable to get SIP working at the remote (slave) end. I'm sure this is to do with routing traffic over the wireless bridge, rather than the ADSL connection.

I had a look at that link, but didn't have any success, could you tell me specifically what procedure you have used to route traffic over the wireless connection?

TIA
Originally Posted by freshfish View Post
The setting you need to change to Route the traffic Via the ETH port is

Change the word GATEWAY ( in caps ) for your own gateway IP
Eg: 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254

:ip rtadd dst=0.0.0.0 gateway=GATEWAY intf=LocalNetwork
:dns client dnsadd addr=GATEWAY
:dns server config WANDownSpoofing=disabled
:dns server route add dns=GATEWAY intf=LocalNetwork
:voice config intf=LocalNetwork
:system config defaultconnection=LocalNetwork
:config save filename=user

To Route Via ADSL or to delete the settings you added do the following.

:ip rtdelete dst=0.0.0.0 gateway=GATEWAY
:dns client flush
:dns server flush
:dns server route flush
:voice config intf=Internet
:system config defaultconnection=Internet
:config save filename=user

The Software I wrote takes care of all that at the press of a button or two.!

Last edited by Hiddenvision; 06-June-2008 at 03:59. Reason: Because it is early..
Old 06-June-2008, 03:56
Screamager

Make sure that you Disable the autoupdates or BT may stuff up your settings when they feel like it .
Old 06-June-2008, 22:57
Screamer

oh dear oh dear. bang goes my confidence in the HH hacking community

i'm writing to you via a home hub, with bt firmware 6.2.2.6, over an ISP known as Be*.

in other words, an unlocked home hub *with* bt firmware; something all but one single post on the internets suggested was impossible

ok, so it only works with ethoa / ipoa connections (and probably unauthenticated pppoa) but it still means a hell of a lot of people can get a very cheap adsl2+ router to work for them. afaik a lot of people on llu connections should be good to go.

the method? download the following user.ini, EDIT THE 0*101 VALUE under phone.ini to reflect your isp's vci/vpi, save and rename the file to just "user.ini" (may not need to, but just incase) and restore it to the home hub:

http://www.inaudible.co.uk/temp/st7g...HoA%20user.ini

for all noobs reading, you need to do the script subsystem method below to enable root user, then log in to the web config and browse to advanced > system > backup. if you dont see it, you'll need to clear the previous logged in user (i just cleared my browaser cache / authenticated sessions) and next time enter the root user name and password when entering the advanced bit.

http://homehubhacks.co.uk/index.php?n=HowTo.GetRoot

And rejoice at your newly unlcoked isp independent Home Hub for all ETHoA and IPoA networks (bethere.co.uk being one, and currently the cheapest unlimited isp in the uk, 14 pm ).

The above currently gives you an ETHoA connection for dynamicly assigned IPs. Static IPs should be trivial to add, but don't ask me how just yet... Line stats are avilable on the Status > ADSL Line > Details page, though Internet Connection stats are no longer available (it would only say "ethoa" and uptime anyway).

All I need to do now is get voip working... oh what fun that'll be. And... unless the hub phone is meant to stay blank, i think i broke it either by droppage or wrong batteries... ho hum...

If anyone's wondering, I figured it all out after finding an ethoa template for the 7G via the speedtouch.de forums and ipstore.us site. After verifying it worked fine on the 7G, and dumping both the 7G pppoa and 7G ethoa user.inis and comparing the two to figure out what the difference was (not much, just atm.ini, eth.ini, ppp.ini, ip.ini and dhcc.ini)

Last but not least, thanks to those who got me this far, most importantly the elusive Malcolm Herring who through this one post: http://www.broadbandbanter.co.uk/318...ub-not-bt.html
was the only person to give me hope it was possible. guess you don't need to email me after all... ipstore.us for getting the original ethoa template re-uploaded, and the-scream.co.uk, homehubhack.co.uk, homehubblog.com and all the rest of you hhhackers 7.50! cheapest adsl2+ voip router ever...

EDIT: voip via phone works as per the usual sip hack (though without bridging): http://www.voipfoneuserforum.com/about2756.html
still can't test the hubphone but i'll assume it's fine unless it's own firmware is hardcoded to bt talk.
now i've just gotta test to find out which firmware version records stats for landline, which at least one probably does but no one seems to have a clue about... nuthin new there
Originally Posted by pepsi_max2k View Post
HI all , i hope someone can help me

I a a newbie on here, i aquired a bt homehub off a mate , flashed it to get it unlocked using the "BT_Home_Hub_Unlock" files, and i then uploaded the BT ETHoA user.ini file, i know can accsess the router as it is asking for the username and password.

i also have tryed getting in via
http://homehubhacks.co.uk/index.php?n=HowTo.GetRoot but it asks me for the username and password so i cant proceed.

so i guess the username is root, but what is the password.

Please help me i am on02 premium ment to be getting 12mb but the router doesnt seem to like my line or something so i wanna try another router, plus also i want to use the phoneside shortly of the HH.

many thanks

Paul
Old 07-June-2008, 11:54
moog

HI all , i hope someone can help me

I a a newbie on here, i aquired a bt homehub off a mate , flashed it to get it unlocked using the "BT_Home_Hub_Unlock" files, and i then uploaded the BT ETHoA user.ini file, i know can accsess the router as it is asking for the username and password.

i also have tryed getting in via
http://homehubhacks.co.uk/index.php?n=HowTo.GetRoot but it asks me for the username and password so i cant proceed.

so i guess the username is root, but what is the password.

Please help me i am on02 premium ment to be getting 12mb but the router doesnt seem to like my line or something so i wanna try another router, plus also i want to use the phoneside shortly of the HH.

many thanks

Paul
Originally Posted by pauluk83 View Post
username ="Administrator" password =""
Old 19-June-2008, 18:56
ComfyHoursPhil

Thanks for all the help previously. Managed to flash two hubs and get one working as hub for my new isp. The other I now want to use as a repeater (thick victorian walls in my house seem to block all the signal) - followed the process on Jarviser's workshop (WDS, change IP, remove DCHP, etc etc) but it didnt seem to work.

Any thoughts on why?
Old 19-June-2008, 19:20
Screamager

Set WDS on both the slave and the master
you have to pair them both.

DHCP on Master
Off on Slave

WEP or no encryption (no WSK) ( same password )
Channel to fixed on both (same channel)
Same SSID ( or different,your choice same for autoroam)
Change IP address of slave off 192.168.1.254 (ex .1.250)

Works fine for me..
Old 25-June-2008, 01:50

Hi

I unlocked Home Hub... all the basic stuff works... but I have serious troubles with port forwarding... Does it work for you? My PC is connected via Wifi to router, and my video games console is connected via ethernet cable to the same PC with ICS turned on. I forwarded all the ports both in ICS and router and it simply doesn't work... The only way to play is to use DMZ. I have more than one PC and after some time (connects/ disconnects) router settings gets weird... E.g. I have port forwading or DMZ set to ComputerA, but it changes to some IP address... ??
Old 25-June-2008, 01:59

One more thing: I'm using default configuration with dhcp enabled... But I don't think it can be cause of problems, because forwading doesn't work even just after adding new rule/ using correct ip address
Old 26-June-2008, 15:49
Screamager

ICS is nasty.......

Why not plug the homehub into the internet router ??
Old 27-June-2008, 12:12

Homehub is router itself... so why I would need second one?
Old 27-June-2008, 14:33
Screamager

Sorry my confusion.!

Why do you not just simply conect the second computer/console to the HomeHub socket.

I don't like ICS and in this day and age it is not required ( unless I am missing out on something.!)

Perhaps you could draw a small picture of the setup and post that.
Old 30-June-2008, 00:05
Avinitlarge

I cant upgrade the hub ive got here, It starts then stops.. Comes up with a error about.
The Wizard was unable to upgrade your speedtouch device.

The Following error occurred.
authentication failed
Old 30-June-2008, 00:25
stubaw

Question Re: Unlocking BT Home Hub **Upgrade at your own risk**

Avnitlarge, i had the same problem, i ended up having to use a XP PC to install the firmware, oh and i had to disable the A/V protection.

But what i actually came here to ask was: does anyone know the address for the 7G to which you map a network drive?
The HH originally was http://192.168.1.253/BT_7G but this does not work for the 7g
Any advice is welcomed.

Stubaw
Old 01-July-2008, 11:52
ashish_tak

Question Re: Unlocking BT Home Hub **Upgrade at your own risk**

Hello All,

First of all, thank you to everyone for their contribution in this thread, which has helped me unlock my BT HH to Speedtouch 7G. The reason was I moved to talktalk from BT.

However I've run in to another set of problem.

On my ST http://192.164.1.254 admin section under wireless page I see following.
Wireless Access Point - BTHomeHub-FE3D (I renamed it back to what it was before makes it easy for all my existing laptop/PC in network to connect to it wirelessly.)

Configuration
======================
Interface Enabled: Yes
Physical Address: 00:14:7F:7C:26:94
Network Name (SSID): BTHomeHub-FE3D
Interface Type: 802.11b/g
Actual Speed: 1 Mbps

Security
=================
Allow New Devices: New stations are allowed (automatically)
Security Mode: WEP

On the DSL Connection page following values are displayed.

DSL Connection

Link Information
=============
Uptime: 0 days, 1:14:53
Modulation: G.992.5 Annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 443 / 7.130
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 2,18 / 12,98

The problem is in above wireless page actual speed. This 1MB actual speed is quite infrequent and it keeps changing it from 54 Mbps to 1Mbps and often drops my internet requests because of it. Also my wireless connection in my laptop if I check it's property it shows 4Mbps, 6 Mbps, 1 Mbps, but hardly ever 54 Mbps. I'm now even in the same room as router with less than 1 meter distance.

In a brief because of the drop in wireless speed to my network (3 laptop and printer) it's unworking solution for me now. The broadband speed test online results are in the range of 0.96 Mbps to 2.3 Mbps. Lot less than with BT ISP and HH (same as this one, before it was unlocked) to up to 6.8 Mbps.

Also observe abvoe that DSL link information pages suggest that I've 7,130 kbps Down bandwidth.

Does anyone know why I'm getting this low wireless speed with new ST 7G? Please also note the same HH with BT has given me constant 54Mbps wireless speed. Please advise if any setting configuration that I've missed during my unlock of BT HH?

Thanks in advance.
Ashish

Last edited by ashish_tak; 01-July-2008 at 13:46.
Old 01-July-2008, 12:59
Austin_KW

@ashish_tak

It is probably interference. Change the wireless Channel Selection to manual and try channels 1,6,11,13 (one of these will probably work well)
Old 01-July-2008, 14:00
ashish_tak

@ashish_tak

It is probably interference. Change the wireless Channel Selection to manual and try channels 1,6,11,13 (one of these will probably work well)
Originally Posted by Austin_KW View Post
You are a Champ. I changed to Channel 1 and it's all up and about with full 54Mbps. I'd almost started to think that I've lost my HH.... And on top of that had already started to check new routers on Ebay.... Owe you a Pint if you are in Birmy ever.

Cheers,
Ashish
Old 01-July-2008, 18:36
ashish_tak

Exclamation Re: Unlocking BT Home Hub **Upgrade at your own risk**

The HH is unlocked and SpeedTouch 7G is doing a great job. The chanel is changed to 1 and now a Wireless speed between my newly dressed router and laptop is great.

Now a next set of question.

I've also had a HH phone. Does anyone know if this HH Phone can be used with SpeedTouch 7G? Even if to reduced capacity of attend/dial calls using standard landeline no? i.e. It'll be great if it can do VOIP, but if not atleast as standard cordless phone's job.

Any guidance will be great.

Kind Regards,
Ashish
Old 03-July-2008, 00:38
dj_gerbil

Hi, I've got my HomeHub working as an access point by switchin off the DHCP, I've also got the smb server working with my usb hdd and i've managed to get the VOIP working by using a vonage box and making the DECT phone work as a phone. What I'm wondering is, whether or not I can change the static IP of the smb server, only i've been given another of these wonderful boxes :P and would like to use it as a printer server as well. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 04-July-2008, 01:10
ormus55

hi all. long time no see.
just wanted to say thx to all who have contributed to this thread.
got a free new v1.5 home hub last week and wanted to play with it. reverse upgraded the SW to 6.2.2.6 ok (it was 6.2.2.6c) and got it working as a repeater for my netgear dg834g. (after much faffin about).
then i wanted to make it work on a mates virgin BB. but i couldnt test it.

now my FIL wants it as a BT router!
so im giving it to him now.

i might even get another, off ebay just to play with!
Old 04-July-2008, 20:25
Aerovision

Hi, having tried to read all 78 pages, please forgive me if the answer to my question is already out there.

I have bought a BT Home Hub off eBay as my Broadband modem / router - a BT Wireless Network 1250 keeps crashing. It is about 3 years old.

I use Virgin Net as my ISP and it is (I believe) ADSL.

The Home Hub is the new style - v1.5.

So can I download a file to get rid of the restriction to BT only and use the Home Hub in the same way as I used the old BT 1250?

Any help will be much apreciated, including which file(s) I need, where from and how to do it.

Many thanks,
Aerovision
Old 06-July-2008, 00:29
Screamager

I think that answer is NO.

from what I read the 1.5 is a different problem.

But then I read the postjust before yours and Ormus says he has no problem !

All the files for playing with the homehub are on my site.
The 6.2.2.6 firmware and a few other tools.
hiddenvision.co.uk/homehub

Last edited by Hiddenvision; 06-July-2008 at 00:32. Reason: Twelve thirty !!!!!!
Old 06-July-2008, 00:35
Screamager

Wink Re: Unlocking BT Home Hub **Upgrade at your own risk**

Hi, I've got my HomeHub working as an access point by switchin off the DHCP, I've also got the smb server working with my usb hdd and i've managed to get the VOIP working by using a vonage box and making the DECT phone work as a phone. What I'm wondering is, whether or not I can change the static IP of the smb server, only i've been given another of these wonderful boxes :P and would like to use it as a printer server as well. Thanks in advance for any help.
Originally Posted by dj_gerbil View Post

Hard coded I believe. I have a few and they get a little confused on the samba side of things.

Shame as it seems like an oversight on the developers that should have been fixed !
Old 06-July-2008, 17:27
moog

Avnitlarge, i had the same problem, i ended up having to use a XP PC to install the firmware, oh and i had to disable the A/V protection.

But what i actually came here to ask was: does anyone know the address for the 7G to which you map a network drive?
The HH originally was http://192.168.1.253/BT_7G but this does not work for the 7g
Any advice is welcomed.

Stubaw
Originally Posted by stubaw View Post
The 7G doesn't support samba so no USB memory stick or printer with the 7G firmware
Old 09-July-2008, 22:55
dj_gerbil

Ok thanks for that. Looks like its a small pc and a small linux distro then!! Oh well it was worth a try :S
Old 10-July-2008, 17:42
jarviser

The 7G doesn't support samba so no USB memory stick or printer with the 7G firmware
Originally Posted by moog View Post
It does have the advantage that if you have one or more home hubs in a master/slave/slave setup, either wired or by WDS, you can have the drive on the USB-A set up on 192.168.1.253 on a hub with BT firmware, preferably 6.2.2.6, and the other home hubs on Speedtouch 7g do not interfere with it.
Having several hubs slaved together all on BT firmware means it's pot luck which one "bags" the .253 IP and the drive on the port may or may not remount.
Of course not a huge number of people love the homehubs enough to have a ring of them slaved together, but plenty do, and that problem comes up quite often.
http://www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/mynetwork.html
Old 17-July-2008, 09:08
Beevo

Ashish_Tak - You say you finally achieved this?

I'm very glad to hear you got your BT home hub unlocked. Em.. er... for those of us less clued in and only confused by the abundance of entries here in this thread, is there any chance you could itemise exactly what you did from start to finish so I can unlock my 'brick' too? I have recently moved to talktalk and have the same problem.

I'm sure if I waded through all these messages again I might evenutally find a solution that works but I just thought I'd ask if there is a finite answer to this question or a quick link to the solution.
Thanks for your help
Old 17-July-2008, 13:14
jarviser

Em.. er... for those of us less clued in and only confused by the abundance of entries here in this thread, is there any chance you could itemise exactly what you did from start to finish so I can unlock my 'brick' too? I have recently moved to talktalk and have the same problem.
Originally Posted by Beevo View Post
I attempted to write up the process and keep it in one place in my home hub pages.

see http://www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/hubunlocking.html which was posted a couple of pages back.

p.s. Home Hub version 2.0 available as from tomorrow. Wireless-n and 4 ethernet ports.

Tags
adsl, adsl2, belkin, broadband, bt, bt home hub, cable, dhcp, dns, files, firmware, home, home hub, hub, internet, isp, key, laptop, lock, make, netgear, network, product, router, settings, sipgate, speed, speedtouch, speedtouch 7g, tiscali, voip, web, windows, wireless