Go Back   The Scream! > COMMUNITY FORUMS > Photo Phorum

Old 15-February-2008, 10:38

Exclamation Police order photographer to 'delete' pictures

not a real policeman - community support officer

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...ws_180714.html
Old 15-February-2008, 14:04
Screamager

Default Re: Police order photographer to 'delete' pictures

Me and the wife just come back from Sydney. We were there for Australia Day. I was taking a picture of her outside the oldest bar in Sydney when a policeman leapt into the frame and posed with her for the photo. How different the public relations are....

The usual gripe - they should be clamping down on teenage yobsand drunks, shouldn't they (the Blackpool kill joy, not the Aussie cop!)

Last edited by everton66; 15-February-2008 at 14:05. Reason: amendment
Old 15-February-2008, 14:19

the original story sounds like a case of someone not knowing the law,. there is generally no issue to take pics of anyone in a public place,.

the other thing to remember is deleting images off the card does not delete them - a file restoration program can find them (providing nothing else is written to the card afterwards)

policemen in london at the tourist spots are happy to pose for photos

Sydney - post some pics ?
Old 15-February-2008, 15:44
Screamager

Here you go:-

Opera House from other side of Circular Quay:

Attachment 2069

Opera House again:

Attachment 2070

Sydney Harbour Bridge and ferry:

Attachment 2071

Sydney Harbour - passenger ferry could not dock in main harbour due to Australia Day celebrations:

Attachment 2072

Goverment says "sorry" to Aborigines on Australia Day:

Attachment 2075

Sydney Central Business District from the steps of the Opera House:

Attachment 2074

Last edited by everton66; 01-November-2008 at 08:43.
Old 15-February-2008, 16:25

cool pics

is an amazing place,. I was only in Sydney for 2 days but hopefully one day I will manage to get back there! Did you go up the sky needle or on the mono rail to the aquarium?
Old 15-February-2008, 22:07
Screamager

Went the aquarium but not on the monorail. Had a great day up in the Blue Mountains and did some scuba diving off Manly. In Sidney for 5 days (holiday) preceded by 2 weeks in Adelaide (work). Sydney is great.
Old 16-February-2008, 00:13

I was out there working for 6 weeks nearly all of that was in melborne, all a long time ago now sadly!
Old 16-February-2008, 12:28
Screamager

Melbourne's nice. I went down the great ocean road when I was there. Breathtaking.
Old 16-February-2008, 15:27

Melbourne's nice. I went down the great ocean road when I was there. Breathtaking.
Originally Posted by everton66 View Post
yep - did that

to really see the place I think 3 months is required,. I did a weekend trip to ayres rock,. flew to alice springs and drove to the rock,. on the map they are next to each other - in fact it's a 5-6 hr drive with your foot down
Old 16-February-2008, 19:57
Screamager

I've got no chance for 3 months. Hoping to go on a big tour at the end of next year for 4 weeks with the wife and kids.
Old 16-February-2008, 20:24

sounds cool., 4 weeks is a good amount of time to see some stuff
Old 17-February-2008, 11:32
canta

Great pictures of Sydney - hope to get there one day! Have to add to Silver's statement that many tourist places in London are classed as 'private' so beware if you carry a 'pro' looking camera - you can be questioned by police at such places as the Gherkin, South Bank (London Eye), Trafalgar Square, and London's Parks (all 'private') and need a licence in many other places (Highgate Cemetery for instance) - just a few examples - and this has been the case for many years.
Old 17-February-2008, 16:55

true,. if you want to take professional pictures you have to pay for a permit in the london parks,. though I have never seen anyone get stopped using a compact camera,. to be on the safe side (if you're getting paid) a permit is a good idea,. if you want to shoot on the tube all kinds of background checks are required (I think the cost is something silly like 2k / hr!)

I was thinking more round the houses of parliment the police will pose for pictures
Old 17-February-2008, 17:04
canta

It's not just 'pro' pictures - you'll need a pass for Highgate, even with a compact camera. Other places, like Trafalgar Square, will see police descend if you use a tripod - aka 'pro set up' - even with a compact. This is true also of areas like the London Eye - ie 'tripod' = 'professional' even with a compact, although they will also use the well-used term 'possible injury by using a tripod'. Bottom line is they can interpret the 'law' any way they see fit - Metropolitan Police are issued with electronic devices that can download your pictures to their devices, to check what you've been up to. Bloke at Ipswich (my local) recently got an apology from Suffolk police because they wrongly stopped him shooting pics in a public area. Seems they're out for bonuses! As for the Tube, I've seen no problem on trains, but would of course agree that asking first is a good thing to do if you want to shoot general station areas
Old 19-February-2008, 20:40
Screamager

You have to wonder what will be next. CCTV, no cameras in public places, wide ranging powers for the police........... I'm all for security and believe if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to worry about with all this scrutiny, but you have to wonder where it will all end and what it will mean for the regular Joe Public.
Old 15-March-2008, 14:17
jeffdavies

So it's quite in order then for thousands of CCTV cameras to be installed and used throughout the UK to take video footage of pedestrians etc (without their consent) BUT obviously joe public cannot always use a camera without asking permission first. There is something drastically wrong with this country and we are fast becoming like a communist state. You also now have to seriously really think twice about what you say and do...Scary!!!
Old 16-March-2008, 12:06
tattaloop

Metropolitan Police are issued with electronic devices that can download your pictures to their devices, to check what you've been up to.
Originally Posted by canta View Post
Use film
Old 19-March-2008, 17:52
Safe Sane Consensual

In Egypt we were very surprised when a superbly dressed and armed tourist guard offered to take our picture then let us take his.....

A small discreet tip was accepted too
Old 17-April-2008, 12:44
Screamager

"They [police, park wardens, security guards] seem to think you can't take pictures of people in public places. It's reached a point where everyone in the photographic world has become so concerned we're mounting campaigns and trying to publicise this."

It seems to be increasing, he says.

Taken from http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7351252.stm

JT
Old 20-April-2008, 11:15
Senile OAP

Great pics of Sydney....

Last time I was there 1960, and they had just started building the Opera House !

Went to the top of the Pylon Tower on the Bridge....don't think you can do that now ...
Old 24-June-2008, 13:35
Screamager

Default More from the Morons.

The war on photographers - you're all al Qaeda suspects now.

Analysis When you hear the phrase "helping police with their inquiries", does an image of dedicated selfless citizenry instantly spring to mind? Or do you wonder whether the reality is not slightly more sinister?

How about "voluntarily handing over film to the police".

Stephen Carroll is a keen amateur photographer, with an interest in candid portraiture: "street photography", he calls it. In December 2007, he was in the centre of Hull taking photos.

Unfortunately for him, his actions were spotted by two local policemen. They stopped him in the middle of Boots and asked him to accompany them outside. There they told him that he had been taking photographs of "sensitive buildings". One said: "I am taking your film".

Mr Carroll requested an explanation. He asked whether he was "obligated" to hand over the film. In vain! Every time he asked, back came the same response: "I am taking your film". Robocop is alive and well and apparently working in Humberside.

When he eventually handed over his film, he was asked to turn out his pockets and to show what other films he had on him.

More here at The Register....

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06...grapher_stops/
Old 24-June-2008, 14:02

Default Re: More from the Morons.

it is a bit weird, the amount of cameras used daily - inc mobile phone cameras you'd think police would be less concerned about ppl doing nothing illegal.., problem I guess is if 'acting suspiciously' - be blatent and perhaps they won't stop you...
Old 27-June-2008, 12:42
tattaloop

What you need to do is find some way to hang from the corner of a high building in the high street and look like a security camera.
Old 28-June-2008, 09:08
canta

The problem, IMO, is that the 'plastic cops' we employ nowadays have been brainwashed so much regarding the perceived threat of 'terrorism' that they feel it's more than their jobsworth to allow random photographers to get away with the dodgy hobby of innocent photography. The new(ish) Terrorism Act gives them awesome powers to approach anyone, and you'd think that any intelligent terrorist would know not to photograph dodgy things - I wonder how many terrorists have been apprehended by using this 'stop and question' method? None, I would venture. Police refuse to comment, so we're still all regarded as slightly iffy.

During a charity event on a public village green, I was taking photos of Jodie Marsh - yes, I realise this is a dangerous thing to do - and her bodyguard ordered me to stop. An argument ensued and my daughter had to drag me away. Later, I asked two local coppers about the legalities, and they said I had every right to take photos from a public place. So, not everyone is up to speed on the Law, and this learning curve should be a priority for those up-and-coming security twits who try to make us stop our lovely hobby.

PS: Jodie didn't look good in the photos anyway.
Old 28-June-2008, 14:24
Former TS! Team

I think you should post them just to teach her lesson.
Maybe you'd have got more flattering photo's if she'd have co-operated.
Old 28-June-2008, 14:47
canta

I think you should post them just to teach her lesson.
Maybe you'd have got more flattering photo's if she'd have co-operated.
Originally Posted by Memfis View Post
I deleted the pictures, as I didn't rate her close-up; the only reason I happened to be there at all was for a biker-fest, and she turned up, all B-Celeb, and in-yer-face, promoting her latest Page 3 involvement. I prefer a natural woman and just happen to be marrying a gorgeous one in August!
Old 28-June-2008, 16:50
Screamager

I prefer a natural woman and just happen to be marrying a gorgeous one in August!
Originally Posted by canta View Post
Congratulations Canta, hope all goes well and you both have a long and happy life together.
Old 30-June-2008, 18:10
canta

Congratulations Canta, hope all goes well and you both have a long and happy life together.
Originally Posted by JohnnyReb51 View Post

Thanks! Trying to talk Sil into doing cheap (free!) wedding photos!
Old 30-June-2008, 19:03

congrats to you and the missus to be!

august is totally booked up,. busy month!,. hope you have a great day,. remember the important thing is the wedding bit and the rest is about having fun
Old 30-June-2008, 22:47
canta

congrats to you and the missus to be!

august is totally booked up,. busy month!,. hope you have a great day,. remember the important thing is the wedding bit and the rest is about having fun
Originally Posted by silver View Post

Looking at a Gretna wedding anyway, so maybe a bit out of your district. Would have liked to check what you wear beneath your kilt, but the wedding takes priority and I guess the Scottish photographer will have to do. Mind you, he uses a Canon, so I reckon the pictures will be fantastic.

Tags
bbc, bundled, free, gorgeous, happy, law, line, make, mobile, phone, police, public, security, shop, sky, speed, survey, talk