Old 04-March-2004, 11:27
Safe Sane Consensual

Default Atkin's Diet

Well Iíve committed myself to reduce weight before I contract any ailments that reduce the quality of my life. In particular Iím concerned that people I know are going down with diabetes.

OK I have realised that I am overweight but was happy the way I was. I appreciate my appearance might not have pleased everybody

So Iím four days into the allegedly tough 14 day induction period and my weight is 182lb on the bathroom scales (it was 190lb on the Tesco machine on Monday- just a moment Iíll put the extra clothing I was wearing on the scale and that means the actual comparable weight should be 187 lbs)

People report substantial weight losses in the first week of this diet but Iím happy to regard some of this figure as water balance changes and the difference between our bathroom and the more accurate scale.

The scale at Tescoís and also measured my body mass index as 29.5 kg/cubic metre.

To reduce this to a normal level of between 20 and 24.9 I need to reduce my body weight to no more than 160lbs.

So folks it looks like I have to lose a few bags of sugar!!!!!!

The good news is that Iím already into ketosis. Because of the very low carbohydrate input (20 gms a day) my body has started to digest itís own fat.

Squidgy will Iím sure correct me if I am wrong but I believe the Ketostix test strips are primarily designed for diabetics Ė itís bad news for them if they start digesting body fat.

The Atkinís forums all talk about aiming for a purple reaction from these tests (thatís a large amount of between 8 and 16 mmol per litre). Yesterday I registered a small amount between 1.5 and 4 but this morning have gone up to a moderate level of 4)

On the positive side I an enjoying a protein rich menu and donít feel hungry.

I take the carbohydrate allowance as a treat and as a chance to up fibre (seen some reports of people cutting the small carb allowance Ė the regime then fails because the body goes into starvation gear.

On the downside I have had slight headaches but Iíve positively regarded these as carbohydrate withdrawal symptoms Ė looking at the carbs as a kind of drug.

Itís said that these headaches can be linked to lack of sufficient water and I suspect this is true. In fact Iíve been drinking gallons of water (and itís flushing through the system)

The headaches also vanish if I get of my butt and do something positve.

However today Iím feeling really good and folks report this problem often clears up further into the diet.

Iím taking some dietary supplements and vitamins to compensate for the reduced amount of fruit and fresh vegetables in this new diet.

Mrs W/L reports slight bad breath today but nothing as bad as someone with poor dental hygiene! Reckon the green veg allowance at the moment is too small to solve the problem that way so I might have to have some chlorophyll!!!
Old 04-March-2004, 11:34
STS

Hi,

You're turning into Squidgy...

And Carol Vordermans Detox is much better.

STS
Old 04-March-2004, 11:48
Safe Sane Consensual

@ STS

Remember Squidgy posting some time ago at the horrors of the supermarket checkout. Maybe he was on the Atkins diet and trying to sneak some of those awful carbs past the cashier without anyone noticing

Must admit I thought it was all pretty weird - especially when I visited a low-carb forum to seek out Squidgy when he went missing.

On further reading the low carb option seems to be soundly reasoned.

Any long term health risks of not maintaining adequate fibre I think must be offset against the medium term prospects of avoiding other illnesses or ailments due to being overweight.

I trepediously await Seaview's input - perhaps he will put Atkins options on his train menus.
Old 04-March-2004, 13:16
deezel

Worldlife, atkins diet dodgy IMO

The 'Hay' diet a much better bet.

My partner lost over 2stone on my version of this in 2 months
Old 04-March-2004, 14:16
Safe Sane Consensual

Congratulations to your partner dee....

Thought a hay diet was for horses

Seriously I've looked up The Hay Diet

Agree it seems a more balanced diet than Atkins but I suspect that the quantities of food need to be minimal to ensure weight loss and maybe leave the follower hungry. This might result in many people dropping out of the diet. The advantage of the Atkin's diet for me is that I don't feel hungry.

Guess it is a bit like religion and each believer in a diet will have his or own particular faith.
Old 04-March-2004, 17:59
malum

I wouldn't touch the Atkins

I eat whatever I want (within reason) and I am never hungry.
despite this I am not overweight.
The answer is to exercise, lots.
It can be a pain but once you get into the routine it's fine.

You need a lifestyle change not a quick fix (quick fixes never work)
Old 04-March-2004, 18:14
Alnath

You mean sitting here all my life aint going to make me thin? Oh arse!
Old 04-March-2004, 18:59
Safe Sane Consensual

@malum

Just overate over a few years in relation to the amount of exercise I do.

Do you know how much activity is needed to burn up a MacDonalds meal? Even MacDonalds are so worried about being prosecuted for causing obesitiy they are reducing the size of some of their meals.

Exercise helps prevent overweight but isn't the answer once there are pounds to shed.
Old 04-March-2004, 19:01
deezel

WL, can't agree with your assesment, but thats because I have actual experience rather than theoretical knowledge.

In our version my partner kept protein and carbs seperated.

She ate as much protein as she liked with green veg for her main meal

...and then as much carbs as she liked for her second meal ( 6 hrs in between). She never got hungry and still lost 2 stone.
Old 04-March-2004, 19:02
Tony

Do you know how much activity is needed to burn up a MacDonalds meal
none would not touch that muck with a bargepole
Old 04-March-2004, 19:17
malum

Originally posted by Alnath
You mean sitting here all my life aint going to make me thin? Oh arse!
It will if you sit far enough away from the fridge and don't ever get up
Old 04-March-2004, 19:25
malum

Originally posted by Worldlife
@malum

Just overate over a few years in relation to the amount of exercise I do.

Now you need to just do the opposite.

On paper you have to do a fair bit of exercise to shift relatively few calories, however the calorie burn goes on for longer than the period of exercise. Also once you have replaced a bit of the fat with muscle it becomes easier as you will burn more calories with the same amount of exercise.

You state that you want to make yourself healthier, well if the plan does not include exercise then you are missing one of the major keys to good health.

I might point out than when I say I eat what I want, what I want is in the main healthy anyway.
I hate Macdonalds and related polestyrene crap food.
I do however have a weakness for Chocolate and ice cream
Old 04-March-2004, 19:49
Alnath

Eating crap isnt my problem it is a total lack of excersise and boy am i going to have to start doing something soon.
Old 04-March-2004, 19:58
Safe Sane Consensual

@malum

Think we all appreciate exercise is an important part of healthy living but it cannot deal with the obesity of our current youngsters due to junk foods and poor diet.

I probably do more exercise than many other folks...

Twenty minutes isometric exercises each morning
Two session of badminton and two sessions of competitive table tennis
Occasional in-line skating
A large garden to upkeep

malum are you into extreme sports or something that superburns calories so you can eat your heart out with junk food?

What's your exercise regime?
Old 04-March-2004, 20:02
malum

Eating crap isnt my problem it is a total lack of excersise and boy am i going to have to start doing something soon.
It's the starting that's hard. After the first 3 or 4 times it's much easier. The motivation required makes it tough though.

I find it very difficult to start again after a couple of months off, but once you do it's fine.

It helps if you do something you enjoy.

At the moment I am running (well not right now but you know what I mean) which i don't like much but i take the dog and he loves it which spurs me on a bit
Old 04-March-2004, 20:20
Safe Sane Consensual

What type of running shoes are you using malum?

How far are you running each week.

One of my mates had to give it up - he crippled his knee joints
Old 04-March-2004, 20:28
Danmancs

Worldlife;

If i've worked it out correctly, you come in at a little over 13 stones, which isn't particularly overweight I wouldn't have thought? (I hope not, because thats what I weigh!)

Dont know if you saw the horizon programme on BBC2 a month or so back, but after extensive investigation, they discovered that the reason you lose weight on the atkins is simply because protein fills you up quicker than carbs and takes longer to digest, so you don't feel as hungry... nothing particularly scientific about it... Apparently.
Old 04-March-2004, 20:56
malum

Originally posted by Worldlife
@malum

Think we all appreciate exercise is an important part of healthy living but it cannot deal with the obesity of our current youngsters due to junk foods and poor diet.

I probably do more exercise than many other folks...

Twenty minutes isometric exercises each morning
Two session of badminton and two sessions of competitive table tennis
Occasional in-line skating
A large garden to upkeep

malum are you into extreme sports or something that superburns calories so you can eat your heart out with junk food?

What's your exercise regime?
I don't really like junk food so that helps.

I cycle to work each day, in fair weather. This is 8 miles a day in total.
Then around 4 times a week (sometimes less, extremely rarely more) I run about 2.5 to 3 miles round the local golf course none of which is on paved paths and most of which is horribly hilly. (on the days that I don't run I walk the same route, but a bit shorter with the dog)

I run in cross training shoes, but as it's all on grass the impact isn't too bad.

I also do pull-ups and sit ups at home at various times of day, as and when time allows.

Of course this all falls apart in foul weather as I don't like running in the rain so maybe the average is more like 3 times a week running.

At 4 times a week or more I can eat whatever the hell I like and not put on any weight at all. In the past I have done more at times for brief periods (couple of months or so) and then I can't eat enough to stop losing weight.

Maybe I have a high metabolism, but having said that in my first year of university when I did no exercise and drank 7 or 8 pints a day 7 days a week i managed to put on a stone in a year.

I think they main key is not to go too drastic as you will never stick to it. allow yourself treats and don't beat yourself up if you miss a week, just carry on the next week as if nothing had happened.

Edit: For perspectives sake, I am 36 years old. 6'2" and weigh 84kg (13.5stone I think) or thereabouts although I haven't been weighed for over a year but I'm never far from this figure.
Old 04-March-2004, 21:04
Alnath

According to my BMI i should be 27 foot tall
Old 04-March-2004, 21:48
malum

According to my BMI i should be 27 foot tall
You mean you aren't?
Old 04-March-2004, 22:14
Loathsome Cad

My view is that most of these things work if you're motivated - they simply make you aware of that odd sandwich/biscuit/mars bar that would be eaten and not registered in the mind, so you don't have them.

Agree with the lifestyle v quick win thing too, if you lost your two stone overnight and returned to old ways it would soon be back.

anyways up, good luck/work hard as appropriate

DM

p.s. BMI is Kilos per meter squared not cubed, I prefer the old imperial hundredweight per cubit squared scale personally
Old 04-March-2004, 22:30
Rigger

Hi WL and any one else who remembers me

went on Atkins 4th Jan 04 new years res and all that.Start weight
15st 2lb

1st weeks loss 9lb second week 4lb 3rd and 4th weeks 2lb each week

1st of Feb went on holiday for 3 weeks,could have stayed on Atkins but what the hell outcome of that put back on 4lb not too bad one hell of an holiday.

Back on Atkins 22Feb 1st week loss 5lb (holiday weight gain gone + 1lb next weigh in 7th March

I only weigh once a week on a Sunday,at roughly the same time of day (you are lightest in the morning)

I love the high protein, meat meat meat and diary produce I am almost eating the diet mi sainted mother fed me on many moons ago before the processed food companys took over.Start reading the backs of packets and see what rubbish you are eating

The "FOOD"industry is out to make a very large profit from the rubbish they process mainly grain or rice based with plenty of additives flavoring and colouring thrown in to disguise the product.

The Atkins diet is getting attacked on all sides from vested interest in the food industry (it should be called the Profit industry) as it does not give a toss about the food value of its product only its profit per pack sold.

but I digress good luck WL with the diet,it is a bit boring the first couple of weeks,but then you can introduce new foods depending on how much or how little weight you wish to lose and how quickly

rigger

Last edited by Rigger; 04-March-2004 at 22:40.
Old 04-March-2004, 22:39
Alnath

I must be honest my mate went on Atkins and he lost weight hand over fist and he said he was full of live and his tireness had gone.
Old 07-March-2004, 00:38
daz

hi

I lost weight using ww diet last year ,I would avoid atkins diet as there have be some worries about kidney damage .
A good balanced healthy eating plan is the best thing when you are trying to lose weight.

I lost 5st with in a year and so far I have managed to keep it off .

good luck with your diet

Daz
Old 07-March-2004, 00:53
pam

My weight loss plan is easy....get utterly stressed...the desire for food simply goes. A smaller plate helps too and only fruit around the place as snacks. Tho in my house we can have bics and chocolate .I never see them with four kids anyway. I could live without the stress but thats a whole pile of other stories.
Goodluck wildlife...don't be too strict on yourself and take more exercise.
pam

excercise
Old 07-March-2004, 10:11
P.C.Dunderhead

Stress-an excellent mechanism for weight loss.

I'm a veggie but beyond that eat what I feel like.I do over-indulge at times,but luckily,my brain burns it off.

Read somewhere that of all the parts of the human body,the brain uses the most calories.I'm not certain it is true,but lying awake thinking about it definately seems to keep the weight off...
Old 07-March-2004, 10:19
bloodhound

my eating habits keep my weight controlled.

first of all i never eat till i am satisfied. this gives me something to look forward to in life.

i go on about 10 - 12 hours withouht food. etc. wake up havebreakfast at 6, go uni, come back , have lunch at 6.

walking to and from uni seems to give me all the exercise i need, and believe me its a trek.

anyway good luck WL
Old 07-March-2004, 11:53
fabienne

Hi Rigger! long time no see!
Congratualtions on your wight loss.

Good luck WL
Old 07-March-2004, 22:06
Safe Sane Consensual

Welcome back Rigger and congratulations on your success

Yes I couldn't believe the scales for less than a week of the diet!!!!

Well you can't really call it a diet - one doesn't feel hunger with all that splendid protein input.

The only slight concern is the lack of bulk in the diet. I'm not constipated but the output is so small. Gone are the large "floaters" of my past

If I'm going to stay on the diet long term would like to look at low calorie bulk foods to keep the intestine healthy.
Old 07-March-2004, 22:08
Waves goodbye

Look at http://www.bodyforlife.com for inspiration

Tags
bad, bbc, car, cards, chips, dead, deals, forward, free, google, happy, health, home, key, law, line, lost, make, music, product, sharing, slow, talk, tesco, weight loss