Old 21-June-2001, 10:52
Screamer

Unhappy FS Anytime - A bit Dodgy??

Is anyone else having problems with Freeserve Anytime? I have been a member ever since the service first started but in the last couple of months things have gone downhill. I am experiencing very choppy web access at most times - ie, the connection stops for a couple of minutes then bursts back into life. Once it starts going again everything is fine and fast but every few minutes this happens! It sometimes affects other services such as e-mail although the web is the worst hit. Sometimes when the first authentication of the connection is passed there is a long wait too but the connection passes any data..

I know it is not my connection or phone line because a friend who lives 16 mile away has the same problem. Presumably FS know about this problem but refuse to acknowledge that is exsits? I hope they sort it out soon because I want to stay on the service and generally once it's going it is fine. Anyone had the same experience?

Simon.
Old 21-June-2001, 12:11
Waves goodbye

Hi Simon

No ! No ! No !

I thought it was just me who suffered with this dreadful this stop/start transmission of data when on "Unlimited", but it still happens on "Anytime" (I switched over yesterday)

I strongly recommend you sit back with a cup of tea/coffee and please work your way through this thread, look for my contributions and please report back and say whether my problems are the same as yours.

Thankyou

Speak later yeah ? Here's the link (there are a lot of posts but it is worth it if you read each one, especially mine) !!!

http://www.the-scream.co.uk/forums/s...8&pagenumber=1
Old 22-June-2001, 10:28
Paul

Unlimited interuption, what a dillemer, both anytime and unlimited seem to be suffering , like you mega i to thought it was just me. Istill haven't gone over to the dark side, i am gonna wait til they cut me off. but i shall have a back up. i thought about bigbluesky and buying in some web space from some where. should cost around 65 pa.

Paul
Old 22-June-2001, 10:47
Waves goodbye

Paul,

If you suffered with these terrible stop/starts using Unlimited, then I urge you NOT to switchover to ANYTIME.

This morning it has been f**king terrible, and I haven't got anything done at all

I have had to disconnect then re-dial up 7 times as when it grinds to a halt, nothing gets it going again
re-dialling temporarily fixes the problem but only for say 10 minutes then it stops again

IT'S A F**KING DIRE SERVICE FOR ME AND I TRULY THOUGHT MAKING THE SWITCH OVER WOULD CURE MY PROBLEMS... IT HASN'T ONE IOTA AND I THINK IT IS ACTUALLY WORSE....

Old 22-June-2001, 14:25
EUPHORiA

its probably u lto then or something but Freeserve seems to be alright for me! i dontn get s tart or stop problems at all! i play net games yeah and nope not even a problem there! if ur playing games and its starting and stopping its the server ur on! DEMON seem to have the worst problem.

Did u ever think that it might be the server ur on? ISP is fine! nonticing the starting and stopping on the net is HARD! cos it just dont happen! only when ur downloading and using ur connection constantly u can notice.

But nope no problems here and i download, play games and alsorts! When freeserve gets really bad i just shut down my server and use my ADSL line
Old 22-June-2001, 14:27
EUPHORiA

Freeserve are stopping anytime so u should all be alright cos u either got the option to go down to surftime or leave
Old 22-June-2001, 14:57
Screamager

Euphoria, where did you hear that Freeserve were stopping Anytime? It's still advertised on their website and people have just started with them with a special 6 months deal. So what's the score?

Ann
Old 22-June-2001, 15:18
Screamer

Cool

Hi Mega,

Following up from your message, I did take the time to read through the thread you suggested and I am experiencing exactly the same symptoms with my connection. Up until recent months I have always had perfect connections and I know that my phoneline is noise free because good data connections are always possible using other pay ISP's. Without any doubt the problem lies with Freeserve's network. I think the problems originate from the Proxy system they are currently using

Last night I visited my friend (mentioned in the previous post) and we experienced even worse connections than I had previously seen. Out of 10 attempts, 5 even failed the basic authentication test and those that were made suffered from the stop/start syndrome. Why can't free service acknowledge the problem in the status pages? My friend has tried contacting Freeserve 5 times and has only had one reply which didn't explain anything other than "we'll pass it on to someone else". He has since sent a cancellation notice but still no response. Where to go now?

I want to stay with Freeserve if possible but if they don't get their act together soon it looks like we'll be on our way again! The only other resonable offer looks like BT Internet's Anytime but are they any better?!
Old 23-June-2001, 11:41
Waves goodbye

Thanks for the reply transmission1, maybe Freeserve don't like us as we're from "Up North" ?!

Me being in Rochdale,Lancashire - and you over the border in Yorkshire !

You never know
Old 24-June-2001, 12:43
EUPHORiA

I got a email saying that the Anytime package is going to stop!

---------------

Le Freeswerve U-turns on Unlimited Time promise
By Tim Richardson
Posted: 30/05/2001 at 15:13 GMT

Britain's biggest French ISP is to ditch its unmetered Net access product, Freeserve Unlimited Time, in August despite giving assurances that it would not can the service.

In January Le Freeswerve announced it was offering a new unmetered service based on the wholesale unmetered Net access product, FRIACO.

At the time Le Freeswerve said it hoped its existing Freeserve Unlimited Time users would switch to the new AnyTime service but insisted no-one would be forced to swap tariffs.

However, Le Freeswerve has now changed its mind (like it never intended to ditch the loss-making Freeserve Unlimited Time product) and the service - supported by Energis Squared - will cease in August.

Existing Freeserve Unlimited Time users can either swap tariffs or sling their hooks.

Some 75,000 Freeserve Unlimited Time users are to be migrated to the FRIACO-based Freeserve AnyTime service.
Old 24-June-2001, 12:48
EUPHORiA

lo m8 u live right next to me then cos i am from up north too! the starting and stopping can be reduced at ur end. REN boost, software tweaks and modem init strings
Old 24-June-2001, 13:19
Waves goodbye

Hi EUPHORIA !

Exactly what REN boost, software tweaks and modem init strings do you suggest please ?

I am desparate you know
Old 27-June-2001, 11:28
Screamer

Originally posted by EUPHORiA
lo m8 u live right next to me then cos i am from up north too! the starting and stopping can be reduced at ur end. REN boost, software tweaks and modem init strings
Well come on then! Let's hear about how to do this and get Freeserve Anytime working better! Funny how my modem init strings work ok for every other ISP!! Strange...

Tags
adsl, bad, cancellation, connection, email, free, internet, isp, line, mail, modem, network, offer, phone, product, software, web