Old 05-April-2015, 11:49
Foxy Lady

Smile We are now legally 'Married'

Just thought I'd bring you up to date and let you know that we are now a legally 'married' couple.

As most of you will know, we had a Civil Partnership ceremony in October 2009, which gave us some of the same legal allowances as heterosexual married couples. Now the law has changed and same sex couples can get married, exactly the same in law as heterosexual couples can, giving them all the legal allowances of opposite sex couples.

As we had our Civil Partnership when we did, we were allowed to convert it into a marriage. We could have had another ceremony but couldn't afford it, so opted for the form signing option instead. This entailed going into the registry office with our ID's etc., signing some declaration forms, paying for a marriage certificate and voila!! Job done!

So on 23rd March 2015 we went and did the deed, making us a 'proper' married couple! As far as we were concerned we were anyway but to get the same rights as heterosexual couples we had to convert to marriage. We don't get two dates like the Queen does birthdays though, as our marriage will officially now be 24th October 2009, the date of our Civil Partnership.

Pity we had to go through all the fighting just to get the same rights as opposite sex couples... seems like double standards to me, thought we were supposed to live in a country that believed in equality??!! Oh well, we got there in the end!!
Old 05-April-2015, 18:49

Smile Re: We are now legally 'Married'

Congratulations to you both.

I read today that Clare Balding has done the same and it now dates back 2006.
Old 05-April-2015, 19:43
Foxy Lady

Originally Posted by gem View Post
Thanks gem, yes, you must pay £45 if your civil partnership was formed after 29th March 2014, as that's when it became legal for same sex couples to marry - itís free if you formed it before but I think there'll be more converting as time goes on because contrary to popular belief, Civil Partnership does not give you that same rights as Marriage and to protect each other in law you really do need to be married.

We would have loved to have another ceremony but just couldn't afford it, so we just signed the forms and then went for something to eat and a drink afterwards.
Old 05-April-2015, 19:47
Foxy Lady

Originally Posted by gem View Post
Thanks gem, yes Clare Balding has done the same.
You have to pay £45 if your civil partnership was formed after 29th March 2014, as that's when it became legal for same sex couples to marry - itís free if you formed it before but I think there'll be more converting as time goes on because contrary to popular belief, Civil Partnership does not give you the same rights as Marriage and to protect each other in law you really do need to be married.

We would have loved to have another ceremony but couldn't afford it, so we just signed the forms and then went for something to eat and a drink afterwards.
Old 10-April-2015, 03:44
Screamer

Default Re: We are now legally 'Married'

Congrats! Hope for the best for your happy conjugal life.
Old 10-April-2015, 14:56
Foxy Lady

Congrats! Hope for the best for your happy conjugal life.
Originally Posted by RacerBoy View Post
Thanks RacerBoy, appreciated.
Old 10-April-2015, 16:10
Screamer

Same to you enjoy!
Old 17-April-2015, 10:05
Safe Sane Consensual

Just a belated follow up to early congratulations at an unmentionable social network!

Well it is for a same sex marriage even if the wrong gender

Hugs and kisses xxxxx
Old 17-April-2015, 11:20
Foxy Lady

Haha!! Thanks Vic, appreciated ...... not going on any forums much right now as it's very slow and labour intensive when you can only type with one hand!!

Far too used to touch typing and now I've had my op and have a sling on I can only use my right hand, so I'm not bothering much until I'm able to touch type again. Hope you're doing ok. Catch up with you later. Thanks again for the belated follow up wishes.
Old 25-April-2015, 14:43
Screamer

It's always enjoyable hear about marriage couple. Wish you long term relationship.
Old 26-April-2015, 05:30
Safe Sane Consensual

No excuse Jen - you need to get talk typing !

Again wishing you a speedy recovery and good news!

Guess keeping up with TS is a low priority for a newly wed
Old 26-April-2015, 11:12
Foxy Lady

Guess keeping up with TS is a low priority for a newly wed
Originally Posted by Worldlife View Post
Well that probably would be right if we really were 'newly wed' Vic... everyone seems to have forgotten that we have actually been 'wed' for nearly 6 years, we've just changed from Civil Partnered to Married... the status is the same, apart from giving us the same legal rights as heterosexul married couples, it's just the name that's changed, so we can now legally say we are married and not have to be singled out from others by having to say Civil Partnered. So apart from the name nothing has really changed in our household.

Mind you, I don't know where this idea of life slowing down and having less to do 'cos I seem to be busier since I retired than I ever was before!! Now the better weather is coming the gardening and painting can be added to the list too!! It never ends!! Think I won't ever be a little doddery old lady who just poddles about at her own pace, reckon I'm fated to be working at one thing or another 'till I finally shake off this mortal coil... ah well, keeps me out of trouble... nearly!!
Old 26-April-2015, 13:13
Safe Sane Consensual

Jen - I am sure many in our vast readership will be confused about the legal status and differences between:-

Living together
Co-habitation
Co-habitation contracts
Civil Partnerships (Registered)
Marriage through Registry Office v Religious Ceremonies

Maybe the following article indicates that you and Karen are in fact "newly weds" within the terms of having formally married?

Why a heterosexual couple want a Civil Partnership

Vic
Old 26-April-2015, 23:06
Foxy Lady

Maybe the following article indicates that you and Karen are in fact "newly weds" within the terms of having formally married? Vic
Originally Posted by Worldlife View Post
I still beg to differ Vic, as we did not go through a formal marriage ceremony, so are therefore not 'newly weds' as such, all we did was sign a declaration to say we wanted to convert to a marriage and that was it, job done!

As for the link you sent, I fully agree that heterosexual couples should have the option to undergo a Civil Partnership if they so wish rather than a marriage... although it is quite telling that they jumped on that particular bandwagon quite early on in the game, whereas gay couples had nothing for years before the Civil Partnership act became law.

The article in the link was also incorrect when it said that Civil Partners had the same rights as married couples because they do not. There are a few thing that are not the same, one important one being to do with pensions, as Civil Partners don't automatically get their partner's pension on their death but married couples do. This then makes me wonder why on earth anyone would choose to have a Civil Partnership instead of a marriage when it doesn't give them the same legal rights... surely that isn't protecting them? This seems rather iresponsible to me. Still, each to their own I suppose.
Old 27-April-2015, 16:03
Safe Sane Consensual

Thanks Jen - I was carried away with the pictures from your celebrations and thought you had been through a ceremony akin to a wedding.

Apologies for any misunderstanding!

It is less complicated than the situation I was faced with as a landlord where our former tenant permitted her divorced former husband to occupy the property rented to her!

It was interesting for us to find out that there is no such thing as a "Common Law Marriage" and that her ex-husband had absolutely no occupation rights.
Old 27-April-2015, 19:42
Foxy Lady

lol, that's OK Vic, we only had a meal & a few drinks afterwards (quite a few actually!!) Didn't have a new ceremony as we couldn't afford it. One of Karen's sisters met us afterwards and took a few photos because everyone was saying we had to have pictures taken. Have you seen our Civil Partnership photos? If we were having another ceremony we'd have been dressed up like that, not just wearing a suit!!
We couldn't believe what a fuss all our friends were making of it 'cos as far as we were concerned it was just a case of signing a piece of paper to change our status legally... as far as we were concerned we've been married for nearly six years!

You're right about common law partners, there is not and never has been anything like common law partners or common law husband and wife, it's all a myth. People just presume that it's a law but it never has been.

Tags
bbc, cards, free, happy, law, live, network, recovery, slow, speedy, talk