Go Back   The Scream! > COMMUNITY FORUMS > General Chatty Stuff

Old 31-October-2009, 18:14
I'll get some legs soon..

Default Re: Car mechanics forum - help!

It depends what oil is already in the engine. It is not advisable to mix certain types of oil together. The best bet is to contact your nearest Mercedes dealer and ask them what type of oil is recommended, then give the car an oil change (including a new oil filter!) using the recommended oil type, and you can top it up whenever it is required with the same type.
Old 10-November-2009, 07:20
Twilight

Hi first time user, sorry for pushing in, but I was wondering if there was a mechanic out there who could help me. I have a 98 Daewoo Cielo, 1.5, efi. The car keeps cutting out when the motor is cold and also when hot. I am driving along and then all of a sudden the speed drops back and I pull over and it cuts out. The car does start again straight away. I have replaced the plug's, air filter, fuel filter and now the ignition module. I also took it to an auto elect and no fault codes came up. Is there anyone who can help me, please.
Old 10-November-2009, 12:57
chrislane62

Fuel blockage? A chip of paint dropped off the inside of the tank cutting of fuel supply to pick up pipe?
Old 10-November-2009, 13:46
Optimistic Curmudgeon

Hi first time user, sorry for pushing in, but I was wondering if there was a mechanic out there who could help me. I have a 98 Daewoo Cielo, 1.5, efi. The car keeps cutting out when the motor is cold and also when hot. I am driving along and then all of a sudden the speed drops back and I pull over and it cuts out. The car does start again straight away. I have replaced the plug's, air filter, fuel filter and now the ignition module. I also took it to an auto elect and no fault codes came up. Is there anyone who can help me, please.
Originally Posted by Twilight View Post
I take it you're not in the UK, as the Cielo isn't a model available here ?

Anyway, it might be a number of things, but as it's 11 years old I guess it's done more than 50k miles (80k Kms ) and if so, has the fuel filter ever been renewed ? If not, it's a likely culprit....and cheap to replace !

if this isn't the cause, it's a matter of working methodically through the fuel, air and ignition systems....for example, have you tried the 'wiggle' test on all the ignition/electronic connections ?

If you have removed the sparkplugs, what colour were the 'noses'...the bit with the electrodes ? should be grey or sandy colour but if black or black and wet, it indicates too rich a fuel mixture....has the air filter been changed ?

Generally speaking, electrical faults tend to be either on or off .....rather than hesitant like fuel starvation.

You'll appreciate that long distance diagnosis isn't easy, but I hope some of this will help.
Old 07-January-2011, 20:36
sig hm

hi sorry i have a problem with a bmw m3 2002 model 3ltre petrol the engine locked up when i took all of the spark plugs out all 6 cylinders are full of oil so i removed the cylinder head and drained the oil out there is no cracked pistons and the gasket has no sign of where it could of leeked through please help its baffled me
Old 08-January-2011, 13:41
Optimistic Curmudgeon

I found this on Google, so it seems there is/was a known problem. Perhaps BMW will contribute to the cost of repair ?

http://www.mbmw.com/e46_m3_engine_failure.htm
Old 06-February-2011, 22:19
GiantMidget

Hello there. BMW320i, think it's 1993, petrol, has lost all it's oil, i've put more in but it's leaked almost instantly, it was over heating for a while before the oil got low, can't see where it's leaking from, the sump & pan are fine.
This caused the engine to cut out completely, it's not been moved for a month now. The water level was fine when i checked. Any ideas what it can be?
Thank you.
Old 06-February-2011, 22:42
GiantMidget

How do i ask for advice, i made a post here but it's not showing up so i figure this isn't the correct place to do it.
I need car help.
Old 07-February-2011, 13:14
Optimistic Curmudgeon

How do i ask for advice, i made a post here but it's not showing up so i figure this isn't the correct place to do it.
I need car help.
Originally Posted by GiantMidget View Post

This isn't specifically a car mechanics forum and consequently there are no accredited 'experts' here, only one or two 'helpful amateurs'.

If a car is losing oil yet there are no visible signs of any leaking onto the road, drive or garage, then it is either being burned in the engine, in which case there MUST be dense clouds of blue smoke coming from the exhaust everywhere you go ! Or, it is leaking and being trapped somewhere, the most likely place being the into the clutch bellhousing.

If neither of these, then I would suggest you Google your problem.
Old 07-February-2011, 17:25
I'll get some legs soon..

With the engine cold (to avoid getting scalded), drain the radiator and see if you have oil in the water. It is possible that either the head gasket may have blown, or the cylinder head might have cracked.
Old 07-February-2011, 18:06
chrislane62

No need to drain it. Oil floats, just take the cap off and look in.
Old 07-February-2011, 18:39

generally if there's oil in the water you can see looking in the radiator cap if there's like gunk / goo in there it could be a problem

how are you checking oil level, it might sound obvious but oil should be checked when the engine is off and there's been time for it to drain down (like 10-20 minutes after turning off)
Old 16-February-2011, 20:36
primerasj

hi, 1st time user, do you have to change a timing chain on nissan primera 2000 more than once, had mine changed at about 25k, now done 90k ??
cars is struggling a bit and seems to be losing power when driving ??
Old 22-February-2011, 12:01
GiantMidget

Thank you all for your replys.
There isn't any smoke coming out when it was running, there wasn't any oil build up inside the exhaust pipe.
I have not checked the bell housing & this would not be easy to do right now.
There is no oil in the water, i checked that already.
Can't see or feel a crack round the head but there's places i haven't been able to check so thats possible.
I put cardboard under the car to see where the leak was coming from, it seemed to be in the general area of the sump, but it isn't the sump, no damage there at all, its coming from above there & dripping down, i just can't find from exactly where.
There is not a drop of oil in there now but previous to it all leaking out, i had checked it correctly.

I did think it was the head gasket, but, that wouldn't get rid of all my oil so quickly, would it?
It was overheating for a while before this happened.
Also, there isn't all that gunk under the oil filler cap that you get when the hesd gaskets gone.
Old 26-February-2011, 13:21
Optimistic Curmudgeon

hi, 1st time user, do you have to change a timing chain on nissan primera 2000 more than once, had mine changed at about 25k, now done 90k ??
cars is struggling a bit and seems to be losing power when driving ??
Originally Posted by primerasj View Post

25k miles sounds very early to change a timing CHAIN, or did you mean a timing BELT ?

Chains are usually good for about 100k miles, unless starved of lubrication or otherwise damaged.

The car's service manual should tell you when such items should be replaced.
Old 26-February-2011, 13:27
Optimistic Curmudgeon

I put cardboard under the car to see where the leak was coming from, it seemed to be in the general area of the sump, but it isn't the sump, no damage there at all, its coming from above there & dripping down, i just can't find from exactly where.
There is not a drop of oil in there now but previous to it all leaking out, i had checked it correctly.

I did think it was the head gasket, but, that wouldn't get rid of all my oil so quickly, would it?
It was overheating for a while before this happened.
Also, there isn't all that gunk under the oil filler cap that you get when the hesd gaskets gone.
Originally Posted by GiantMidget View Post
If it's a high mileage car and the compression is low due to worn bores/piston rings, the oil in the sump becomes pressurised and puts additional strain on the sump gaskets, and particularly the crankshaft bearings at either end. One behind the front pulley and the other end behind the flywheel in the clutch housing.

Additionally, oil is often forced into the 'closed air breathing system' and fed back into the inlet manifold via the air filter box.

It is also possible that the head gasket is damaged and leaking oil down the engine block, which will drip off the sump and maybe other ancillaries like the starter motor.

Obviously, it is important to clean as much muck off the engine fron the cylinder head downwards, to correctly identify the source of the leak/s.

Good luck.
Old 26-February-2011, 14:32
chrislane62

Rocker box gasket?
Old 08-April-2011, 15:27
Waves goodbye

Question Re: Car mechanics forum - help!

Hi.

This IS a serious post, excuse the lack of pictures.

About a month ago, I reversed my Ford Fiesta 1.4LX out of the garage and there was a right clanging noise. I jumped out and saw a black metal "half-circle" shaped tube/rod and assumed some loutish kids on this estate has thrown it and it hit the car (it was a right clanging noise).

Thought nothing more, but put the metal tubing in the garage.

Putting the car away last night I noticed another almost identical black, rusty ended metal tube on the garage floor underneath near the front left of the car. The previous one that I assumed someone threw was under the back right of the car......

I really don't know what they are, but they are worrying me as to what they are and how come they have now apparently snapped off.....

Imagine a black metal hoop, then cut in in two, and thats what each piece is, a 1cm thick 'C' shaped curve 'tube' of metal, but now there's two of 'em...

Anyone any idea? Will try and post a photo when my g/friend returns with her digital camera but it's terrifying me!

We just came back from the Lake District and went over lots of really bad, deep potholes (hidden under 2-3 inches of surface water) on country lanes. Don't see how a pothole could make something snap off underneath the car though..... and previously some really bad high speed bumps (slowly) when in Liverpool. Come to think of it, the dashboard really rattles/vibrates when driving.....

Sorry my lack of car knowledge is so embarrassingly non-existant!

Edit: they look like the attachment below, only cut in half and without the notches on the outer edge, with jagged "snapped looking" ends
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	157.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	2316  

Last edited by MegaTsunami; 08-April-2011 at 15:52.
Old 15-February-2015, 17:27
Screamer

Hello... Newcomer on here not sure if I am posting a new thread or replying to to a previous post, forgive my ignorance

I have a year old Fiat recently the engine warning light came on and stayed on so I took it back to the garage
After 2 weeks looking at it without success. I received a phone call to go in They showed me the fuel tank which they said had been contaminated The petrol instead of being clear was a milky colour. I took a sample which I am getting tested at a lab at my own cost The garage said its not the car, it was me putting in contaminated fuel therefore its being put at my door.

Theres a way to go with this, but does anyone know what this contamination could be. I tried mixing oil with petrol in a jam jar but that does not make the petrol cloudy
Old 19-February-2015, 17:48
Safe Sane Consensual

Welcome porcupinetree.
Is the cover to your fill pipe locked and sealed?
Might someone have put something in the tank as a joke?
Water or water mixed with ethanol additive in supermarket fuels would give a milky appearance.
Was the problem also associated with low fuel levels? Low fuel levels will mean a concentration of contaminants will reach the engine.
Old 19-February-2015, 18:13
Screamer

Hi Worldlife Thanks for the reply. Its a year old car I believe when you lock the doors which I always do, it locks the fill cap. Definitely not low fuel my wife who uses the car for work doesn't like going over half empty .
A joker putting water in the fuel not likely How would they get access if its locked A possibility and I repeat a possibility could be the garage doing it to avoid responsibility Would they ?
Sample has been sent off to the lab so within 7 days I should get a result
Old 21-February-2015, 02:42
Safe Sane Consensual

Useful guidance here:-
http://www.petrolprices.com/blog/hav...ated-fuel.html

It is documented that the engine management system will come on when there is contaminated fuel.

You don't mention the engine running badly that is sometimes associated with contaminated fuel.

Have you raised the allegation of contaminated fuel with the garage supplying it? Maybe Trading Standards will be aware if there is any record of contaminated fuel being sold from that source.

If garage servicing and maintaining your vehicle is a main dealer or reputable business I think you will have tremendous difficulty substantiating an allegation that they deliberately contaminated the fuel.
Old 21-February-2015, 16:30
Trance Addict

Trading Standards won't give out information in relation to complaints or investigations into any business. It's all to do with data protection these days. The only information they make public is when they have made a successful criminal prosecution for a breach of consumer protection regulations or door step crime etc.

It all comes down to a civil dispute if you have issues with any trader and the only way you can enforce your rights is by putting it before a judge.
Old 21-February-2015, 21:11
Safe Sane Consensual

Thanks Behometh and the OP should be aware of your considerable experience in consumer advice.

Obviously there are several aspects to the OP problem mainly getting the car back into service again and establishing the costs and evidence needed for a successful prosecution.

Obviously if you do not have evidence that other people have been similarly affected it make your own individual case harder to prove.

IMHO it is appropriate to seek report the problem to and seek advice and instructions from Trading Standards as their policy seems to vary through the Country. e.g. see Newcastle's reported action.

If your own Trading Standards refuse to help then maybe then make representations to you Member of Parliament that matters of large scale fuel contamination should not be left to individual consumers to resolve.

BTW here's some useful information why the likely cause in this case is silicon
http://www.whatprice.co.uk/petrol-pr...-problems.html

In my former professional career it was a clear offence to sell food not of the substance demanded!

It would appear the same could apply to fuel where the consumer is not notified of additives

Ian Hillier, petroleum spokesman for the Trading Standards Institute, said the problem seemed to be restricted to unleaded petrol and understood there had been complaints from up to 100 people in the south of England.

"Including ethanol in petrol is not really contaminating it, but there does need to be a clear warning to people who buy petrol as to exactly what is in it. Ethanol is actually seen as a green measure but if sold without any warning then offenders are in breach of biofuel labelling regulations."
Old 23-February-2015, 22:09
Trance Addict

Half the time its not because TS don't want to help, its more a case due to the government the way it is many TS authorities don't have the resources to be able to offer assistance. I get many an angry call from time to time when people really do need assistance and I'm unable to provide them the help they want for that very reason.
Old 23-February-2015, 23:33
Screamer

Thanks for all your posts An update. The lab analysis has shown there is no contamination of the petrol Which surprised me as the sample I sent was definitely cloudy/milky
The garage drained the tank and cleaned it out replaced plugs and did other checks They also test ran the car for 100mls The car is now running OK. Cost 493 Plus 119 for the lab test Im none the wiser why the original problem warning light /rough engine was caused........... I know I wont buy another Fiat
Old 27-February-2015, 22:36
Safe Sane Consensual

Thanks for bringing this to our attention porcupinetree.
Have two five gallon cans of diesel left in store since the last tanker drivers strike.
In case it has deteriorated or become contaminated I think I will dilute it and only add half a can a time to a nearly full tank.
Old 27-February-2015, 22:40
Safe Sane Consensual

Half the time its not because TS don't want to help, its more a case due to the government the way it is many TS authorities don't have the resources to be able to offer assistance. I get many an angry call from time to time when people really do need assistance and I'm unable to provide them the help they want for that very reason.
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Then how does one tackle the problem of Local Authorities failing to deal with what is a statutory duty?

There may be a political answer in sacking the politicians who are responsible for this situation and where money squandered on useless military interventions is used to service the needs of our own Country.
Old 05-March-2015, 17:02
Trance Addict

Then how does one tackle the problem of Local Authorities failing to deal with what is a statutory duty?

There may be a political answer in sacking the politicians who are responsible for this situation and where money squandered on useless military interventions is used to service the needs of our own Country.
Originally Posted by Worldlife View Post
Unfortunatley if a trader denies a consumer of their statutory rights as we all know it then has to be taken to county court to then be heard at a small claims hearing.

If TS want to take a trader to task and make a prosecution they may well do so at their own discression and depending on what consumer protection legislations have actually been broken.

If someone feels their local authority is not doing enough to help then a complaint needs to be lodged via their complaints process and if this does not resolve the situation it would then need to be passed to the local government ombudsman.

The majority of what TS can do though is all to do with money. I could sit here and name at least 10 that offer no civill intervention at all.

At the end of the day TS are mostly interested in door step/organised crime and rogue traders. You know the type that turn up and say they will do your drive for 500 - take the money, do a very bad job of it and leave no contact details.

Most authorities through TS do have the ability to deal with the above, but only in extreme circumstances.
Old 10-March-2015, 07:55
Safe Sane Consensual

That seems difficult to understand Behemoth!

If I had found somebody selling unfit food I would not expect the customer to go to County Court! How would that customer know if hundreds or thousands of others were also at risk?

The same would apply to contaminated fuel - it is a product unfit for purpose and likely to cause damage.

Can you explain why some Council's will take action regarding contaminated fuel when you advise the customer must go to County Court!

Tags
accelerator, bad, battery, blocking, cancellation, car, computer, digital, failure, forward, fuel pump, google, happy, home, internet, lights, liverpool, lost, make, mechanics, shop, sound, speed, tools, van