Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > Hardware

Old 06-January-2003, 19:42
thumpert

Unhappy Strange USB Related Problem

Hi everyone,

I have an unusual problem with my hardware. I have an MSI 6154VA motherboard with 800mHz PIII processor and 256Mb 100Mhz SDRAM running WinME. I tried installing an SB Live 5.1 card after disabling the onboard SB128 in the bios but started to get random crashes, it was different files each time, sometimes on startup sometimes when opening word or explorer. When I took out the SB Live card everything was OK. I tried the card out in my 233Mhz Pentium II box and it works fine.

I did a clean install of ME onto a new hard drive and added cards one by one. All the cards went in fine including the SB Live. I added the office applications and there were no probs there either. When I connected the USB printer the random crashes started again. I reinstalled a working image from CD and added the printer as a parallel port device - no problems. When I installed the USB scanner the crashes returned. I have removed the card and put it back in the 233 for now but has anybody any ideas.

Regards and a Happy New Year to all

Derek T
Old 06-January-2003, 22:51
john r

Could it be power related ?
Maybe the SB card is just one thing to much and USB is quite power hungry.
Old 06-January-2003, 23:05
thumpert

Hi John R,

Thanks for your thoughts. I did consider that. The original PSU was only 150W so I swapped it out with a 230W PSU but that made no difference. Do you think I need a 300W PSU?

Derek T
Old 06-January-2003, 23:11

The power supply is VERY important. My 'old' PC has a 230w psu and when I upgraded to ADSL it came with the Frog which is (now) known to be power hungry. It kept crashing! So I would suggest that you try and borrow a bigger psu to see if that does it.
Old 06-January-2003, 23:18
thumpert

Gem,

Thanks for your advice, I'll see if I can get hold of a beefier PSU and try that.

Derek T
Old 06-January-2003, 23:26
Trance Addict

This sounds very much like a driver issue, you tried the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard?

Behemoth
Old 06-January-2003, 23:34
thumpert

Hi Behemoth,

Yes I keep on top of the Via 4in1 updates. I also update the Nvidia Geforce 2MX card regularly. Recently though I backtracked on the graphics driver when I couldn't see the menus on Extreme Sports.

Derek T
Old 06-January-2003, 23:41
Trance Addict

Hmmm I've had a similar problem on a socket 7 board and it was the VIA drivers that were suspect. Next step would be to try different scanner/printer drivers??

Could also be a conflict with the SB card and the onboard sound that might not have been disable properly??

Behemoth
Old 07-January-2003, 09:22
我們被注定

Check to see thay any mention of the onboard sound has gone from the registry. Also have you updated your sb live drivers?
But I suspect the same as what the others have said, I think it's down to your psu.
I know this is tedious and I hate doing it myself, but why not try a format and install everything from scratch and see how that goes. But see if you can borrow a 300 wat psu first and see if that works.
You could have some major conflicts going on wich you haven't been able to find.

Beef.

"Thinking about what you might not be able to control, only wastes time and energy, till it eventually becomes your enemy."
Old 07-January-2003, 09:24

could be an interupt problem, try moving the sblive card to another slot (if you have other slots!) or swap the cards around, you could also try a powered usb hub or a pci usb card. Try moving / swapping the pci cards about that you have first tho

Sil
Old 07-January-2003, 10:25
thumpert

Hi again,

Thanks for the comments. Beef, I did do a clean build on a new HD with the onboard sound disabled before the install and added the cards one by one so I don't think there is a conflict there. Silver I did try moving the cards around as well and that made no difference and I have used a powered USB hub as well. It may be that the MOBO is bad in some way but I will look into a biger PSU. I won't have any spare slots for a PCI USB card but it might be worth a try - I could take out the network card or get an external modem. I'll give it some thought.

DerekT
Old 07-January-2003, 11:01
thumpert

Hi again,

I gave the power issue some thought and moved the hub with the scanner and printer over to the Pentium II 233 box which contains the SB Live card at the moment. It is also running on the 150W power supply. There don't appear to be any problems there so it is either mobo driver related or mobo hardware related as both systems have the same software.

Derek T
Old 07-January-2003, 12:38
我們被注定

At leat your getting near the solution Thumpy! That's a good sign. Nice to see you around again too

Beef.

"Thinking about what you might not be able to control, only wastes time and energy, till it eventually becomes your enemy."
Old 07-January-2003, 18:59
Screamager

VIA USB support is getting a reputation for being ****

Tags
adsl, bad, cards, files, happy, hub, modem, network, port, software, sound