Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > Broadband Internet Access

Old 16-December-2006, 12:46
Phil the BT Hater

Thumbs up Re: Things to ask your ADSL ISP BEFORE you sign up!

hello, i'm looking around for the best isp and deal for me, and have picked up some handy tips from this thread. i understand everything thats been discussed here, except the dacs thing. what exactly is a dac and how can i make sure i don't get lumbered with it (i take it from the posts its a bad thing , lol)
Old 30-December-2006, 10:37
cheyna

Exclamation Re: Things to ask your ADSL ISP BEFORE you sign up!

# Is there a limit on the amount of data I can download each month? (no)
I agree, and it's also worth checking if the ISP have limits to services advertised as "unlimited" which they disguise as a fair usage policy". Unsurprisingly, sales reps generally don't draw your attention to this, even if you ask them about the limits, so it's really something to look it up for yourself on their website.

I spoke to a tiscali rep after my aol contract ended and he kept emphasizing how "unlimited" their broadband offer was, even though id already checked their fair usage policy which clearly states that you'll be penalized by having your service restricted for using it "excessively" during peak hours.
Old 02-January-2007, 10:36
WEAVERHAM

Default Re: Things to ask your ADSL ISP BEFORE you sign up!

Does their support service speak English without a strong Indian/Pakistan one.

I have very poor hearing and am using Demon.net.

Used to be great but pulling the plug soon.
Old 28-January-2007, 10:46
helenander

Does their support service speak English without a strong Indian/Pakistan one.

I have very poor hearing and am using Demon.net.

Used to be great but pulling the plug soon.
Originally Posted by WEAVERHAM View Post
Things to ask your ADSL ISP BEFORE you sign up continued..

1) Can your ISP advise you what sort of modem would be best for you, or do they just supply a usb modem that you should get free inside a cereal packet.

Yes

2) Would the support team call you back if you left a message i.e busy periods

Yes

3) is there an offer of setting up the broadband connection?

yes

4) could they troubleshoot my internal wiring?

Yes

5) do the technical support actually use the service they are supplying?

yes

6) can they advise on PC problems?

yes

7) Can they help on long lines, where other providers have failed?

Yes

South Witham Broadband, a social enterprise set up in 2004.

If you are nearby us give us a call

www.wireless.southwitham.net
www.adsl.southwitham.net
Old 28-January-2007, 19:05
crj

Hi helendar
How come you are allowed to advertise your broadband site, yet when I put a friends mums website up, they said it was advertising and removed the link?
Just asking not criticising!
charlotte
Old 28-January-2007, 23:03
helenander

Well I am sure if the moderator of the board feels it is not appropriate he will remove it. Our service is really aimed at those that haven't been able to get broadband from other ISP's and is a local offering. It is also run by technical volunteers and not fat cats. Any surplus is re-invested in our ethical and social aims, i.e we supplied free PC's to low income families and susbsidied connections where people were unable to get a service as they had no credit rating. We also set up a wireless network before BT even thought our rural area was worthy.

My aim is to reach those that are stuck in the dark ages thinking no one can help them, we are not a convential ISP. I also have spoken too government to try to make them aware that the job is not done, although BT may spin a line and quote percentages of exhanges enabled. I have worked with the community broadband network mapping the 1200 "notspots" in the UK and have supported freely other groups setting up alternatives schemes.

Do you really think as a not for profit my posting is the same as someone waged from say Orange posting on here?

Moderator feel free to disagree?
Old 28-January-2007, 23:09

Hi helendar
How come you are allowed to advertise your broadband site, yet when I put a friends mums website up, they said it was advertising and removed the link?
Just asking not criticising!
charlotte
Originally Posted by crj View Post
The link you posted had a referrer code in it and that is not allowed on here (in the terms when you sign up) else we would get every one posting links to this and that so they got the money for people signing up, and the forum would just fill up with Spam.

We also do not let people just post links to there sites for the same reason while helenander has posted its ok but if it was the same in every post they would be removed.
Old 29-January-2007, 16:12
crj

You may know this then helendar

Can broadband be accessed from a blackberry phone or does it have to have the bband set up on a land line and the emails etc be diverted to the phone?
would appreciate knowing this as someone had asked me this on a pm and it was me who was asking myself for another friend who does not want a landline.
charlotte
Old 30-January-2007, 01:58
herdwick

Can broadband be accessed from a blackberry phone or does it have to have the bband set up on a land line and the emails etc be diverted to the phone?
The email associated with a broadband account can be collected from anywhere on the internet. A Blackberry uses mobile phone signals to access the internet, so it could collect the emails too.

The Blackberry or a Smartphone (Treo 650 etc) can access the internet without a hard wired phone line. You can also get cards to go in laptops to do the same thing.

Does that help ?
Old 30-January-2007, 08:32
John259

More info about the BlackBerry here. - John
Old 30-January-2007, 09:56
crj

Thanks john and hardwick
I have had info sent me also from another source also and these new blackberry pearls look amazing.
For me personally though, I spend quite a bit of time on the Internet and my sight isn`t that good, so to look at such a tiny screen for long would not be practical.
But its useful to know these things.

Has anyone actually got a blackberry?
Old 27-February-2007, 21:32
Wingnut1000

I want to run a server on Tesco broadband and am not getting anywhere. I will change, so which ISPs do allow it (and tell you how to do it)?

Graham
Old 01-March-2007, 13:35
crj

I think you`ll find you may have to have a business broadband link rather than a home product for running a server.

I am with the Utility Warehouse but do not know the costs of the business broadbands which they also do, but could easily find out for you if you were interested.
charlotte
Old 01-March-2007, 15:59
helenander

I want to run a server on Tesco broadband and am not getting anywhere. I will change, so which ISPs do allow it (and tell you how to do it)?

Graham
Originally Posted by Wingnut1000 View Post
We run a server on our broadband, look for one that offers static IP's.

Helen
South Witham Broadband
Old 18-July-2007, 07:50
alan-paperboy

Cool Re: Things to ask your ADSL ISP BEFORE you sign up!

I'd be very suprised if they actually stopped you using a VPN,. sounds like a case of custy support confusion perhaps?

I could be wrong but I think most any ISP should work ok with VPNs,. even AOL should work (so long as they aren't blocking ports)

Sil
Originally Posted by silver View Post
You mean AO-HELL actually works??? You must mean before CPW took over. They can't find their arses with a halogen lamp, ordinance survey map and the Hubble Telescope!
I'm trying to get out of there, but find that Tiscali (where I was thinking of migrating to) is even worse, apparently

Alan
Old 26-January-2009, 16:01
wkscreams

Exclamation Re: Things to ask your ADSL ISP BEFORE you sign up!

Get in writing what they promise/say or you will regret it
Old 18-February-2010, 14:10
Screamer

I was surprised (and disappointed) too. He definately said that their Solo 500 package did not allow connection to a VPN.
Originally Posted by Jeraff View Post
While checking out Virgin packages i got a pop up from one of their customer service people asking if i needed any help,After a few line backwards and forewords i asked as i use a monthly paid VPN site if Virgin supported VPN software and after an extended period i got the impression the operator was asking a supervisor or someone else i got the reply "only for business users"And after reading about virgins intentions to run unknown to customers what amounts to spyware the reason is obvious why?
Old 18-February-2010, 16:06

the problem is the operator doesn't likely know what a VPN is and likely the supervisor doesn't either,. there is very little reason an ISP would wish to stop ppl using VPN software, it's extra work they would need to do to block them so you can generally expect it to work

the only way to get a real answer is find someone who manages the network within the ISP, you need the techies and they are not likely to be answering customer calls in a call center,. the more average consumer focused ISPs the more layers there are between the customer and the ppl who can answer those type of questions,.

try other easier questions, is the IP static and if so can you setup your own rdns and can you delegate it to your own dns server, or even easier can you run your own SMTP for inbound email, i.e. which ports are blocked for inbound connections

Last edited by silver; 18-February-2010 at 16:14.
Old 18-February-2010, 20:17
Screamager

Well until you are in a situation such as having a ADSL fault on the bt line then you may not readily think of this

Ask your intended isp what their policy is on handling faults,ie,are they terrified of getting bt to perform a sfi visit to your home(any charges met by them),
Old 19-February-2010, 00:56
Screamer

Well until you are in a situation such as having a ADSL fault on the bt line then you may not readily think of this

Ask your intended isp what their policy is on handling faults,ie,are they terrified of getting bt to perform a sfi visit to your home(any charges met by them),
Originally Posted by tommy t View Post
Its my experience with ISP's that they usually use the threat of a BT call out that could incur a 150 charge if no fault is found to fob customers off.
Old 19-February-2010, 06:16
Screamager

Its my experience with ISP's that they usually use the threat of a BT call out that could incur a 150 charge if no fault is found to fob customers off.
Originally Posted by nothappy View Post
oh, they will try that too, but most will firstly up the snr margins, then other drastic measures such as swap from fastpath to interleave and cap line speed to lower than you normally sync at, all only hide the underlying problem

Tags
adsl, aol, bad, blocking, broadband, bt, cards, connection, dns, email, free, home, internet, isp, line, lookup, mail, make, mobile, network, ofcom, offer, phone, premium rate, premium rate number, sharing, software, speed, survey, tiscali, web