Old 08-January-2013, 01:03
Screamer

Default the post office

its strange that many people do not know how good the post office broadband service is. Its a no thrills service (country areas) cheap and reliable. I had them now for over two years (i was intending to have sky but we cant have them or virgin for one reason or another)
Iworked out that its faster than sky (rural service) and BT also. at about 8mps(or whatever they are) that does not sound fast but in a rural arealike this that is certainly a lot faster than anyone else.
You get free phone calls after 7pm and it has never let me down.
Offcourse in town environment its probably the same service but a little faster.
When i first moved here i had BT ,it was dreadfull slowww and continue problems with the phones also. and the cost was about 20 a month more..
is there a downside ? yes the email is very basic (thats why i use yahoo messenger) but i gather thats normal these days gone are the days with great graphics on your email service. also you can use XP on it with no problems . some other providers prefer the use of windows 7 or vista.
Old 08-January-2013, 18:24

Thumbs up Re: the post office

I'm not sure but I think the Post Office uses BT's equipment as it's more than likely that BT is the only ISP in your Exchange - that's the norm for 'Rural' Exchanges.
I'm more or less the same position except that we now have TalkTalk in our exchange and I'm now up to 12mps.

I think you have been mislead somewhere. You can use ANY operating system - many Screamers are on Linux and possibly Macs!

As regards email, again you can use any email you wish. Some ISP's 'TRY' and restrict you to their Web mail when you can use many of the email programs available. You don't of course even have to use the email address they provide (you will lose it whenever you leave them!). There are many free email services as well as paid for ones (I've had a paid for email service and a paid fro web site for many years now).
Old 23-December-2013, 16:43
Formerly exstreamuser

Default Re: the post office

I discovered that both The Post Office and John Lewis broadband use the Plusnet / Madasafish call center in Sheffield for their CS. As Plusnet is a division of BT, I would assume all these ISPs are pretty much alike. Plusnet do provide a good standard of CS but of recent they have been understaffed and are in the process of opening a Leeds call center and altering their systems accordingly. i.e. right now, CS is not at its best.

The comparison with BT is like night and day, unless your setup is working just fine. Once BT Wholesale get involved, things may not go as they should. For a BT Retail customer, they are likely just to try a few things and turn around and say that is the best they can do. The CS team at PN/TPO/JLP will though push for better. This can take longer but I generally feel that they try to do the best for their Customers.

They are however tied by being a customer of BTW and reliant on Openreach for doing the line side of things. In a rural situation, there are most likely to be no alternatives but to use the BT owned copper. It will be the same engineers, whether good or bad that attend for whatever ISP. I think the trick is to get an ISP that will actually try to get things done rather than just roll over at the first hurdle and try to get the Customer to accept the first answer. Both Zen and Andrews & Arnold have a good track record of pushing BTW / Openreach but they do cost more to begin with. Plusnet / Madasafish / The Post Office / John Lewis fall not that far behind and you get to speak to someone in this country. This is no disrespect. For example, weather conditions can play a part in broadband quality or geographic knowledge can often quicker put a finger on a general issue. People driven by computers in a foreign country are not always the best.

I would not advise anyone to use an ISP's provided POP email service. Try Gmail, Yahoo! mail, Outlook.com or whoever. In that way, you can retain your email address, no matter how many ISPs you use. They will offer POP or IMAP too.

I would certainly signup with any of them. Just shop for a deal that suits you best.
Old 24-December-2013, 23:23
Screamer

In the last month the speed of the broadband has doubled to about 16 instead of the usual 8. To be honest I cannot complain about there service as since signing up . we not had a single problem. Yes they might be slower than BT but I found BT was much more expensive .
As I never download any video files its pointless for me to change, at one point I was going to Sky (as I have my TV satellite from them) but decided not to change ! There is a saying "why fix something that does not need fixing". All my PC gear is out of the "ark" anyway (running windows 7 pro with 1 gig memory and 130 gig hard-drive and cabled internet rather than wireless ). Maybe one day I will change but unlikely !
Over the last 13 years or so I have run some hot gear ( in there day) includeing the very first guy (domestic) to use Digital Broadband and Digital TV in my town ,back in the heady heights of 2000, where we had NTL from docklands HQ ( think the main server of digital cable was in seven kings Ilford at the time ) All a long time ago !
Having owned from the 1980s onwards every operateing system that Microsoft invented. plus the old OS system from microsofts only competitor ( except MAC system which I have had 4 MACs running there 7 and 8 s ) used Windows 3.1 and the older XT computers which was a forerunner of what we have now. And also some very interesting 286-586 systems as well.
Over the years I have my favourites that being Windows 98SE and the old Pentium 3
Old 24-December-2013, 23:53
Formerly exstreamuser

Not much difference between you and I then! LOL

You must have been on ADSL(1) then and they have bumped you onto ADSL2+? You must also be reasonably near the exchange.

Changed days though. Once upon a time the Apple ][ used to cost 2,000 and not you can pick up a desktop PC for 200.

I dunno... Sometimes it is better to go for a package and save that way and other times you have no idea what you are getting into and are maybe better living with what you have. I personally do download and upload large files but I have a free bandwidth allowance from midnight to 8AM. I forget if TPO offer this too. I know I nearly switched to them for some part of their deal. Same line, same Customer Service, why should I worry? The reason I didn't had absolutely nothing to do with any ISP. I was trying to gain "Enhanced" Customer Care by using a business product and as it turned out, my telephone would also have had to become a business line. Doesn't matter who I am with for what either. Seemed like a good idea at the time. The only reason I was after that is because I regularly suffer interference from a nearby commercial premises (only 3 of us on this cable too!). Just tired of the waits but this is all BT Wholesale and Openreach issues.

On the speed front, how fast does it need to be? I am on a very long line and all being well, I get 5Mbps. Anything over 3.5Mbps does the job for me just fine! Fibre coming but why should I pay more, when it will make no difference to my use?

My favourites were Win3.11 and Win98SE. XP will be my last M$ OS as I am switching everything over to Linux.

The whole house is cabled with CAT5 and I really do not need to turn Wireless on. I can easily use 3 machines at the same time, each for different tasks and that being the case, I do not need masses of resources for any one of them.

It might be interesting to compare notes with you in some of the other forums. I go waaaaay back too!
Old 27-December-2013, 23:04
Screamer

Not much difference between you and I then! LOL

You must have been on ADSL(1) then and they have bumped you onto ADSL2+? You must also be reasonably near the exchange.

Changed days though. Once upon a time the Apple ][ used to cost 2,000 and not you can pick up a desktop PC for 200.

I dunno... Sometimes it is better to go for a package and save that way and other times you have no idea what you are getting into and are maybe better living with what you have. I personally do download and upload large files but I have a free bandwidth allowance from midnight to 8AM. I forget if TPO offer this too. I know I nearly switched to them for some part of their deal. Same line, same Customer Service, why should I worry? The reason I didn't had absolutely nothing to do with any ISP. I was trying to gain "Enhanced" Customer Care by using a business product and as it turned out, my telephone would also have had to become a business line. Doesn't matter who I am with for what either. Seemed like a good idea at the time. The only reason I was after that is because I regularly suffer interference from a nearby commercial premises (only 3 of us on this cable too!). Just tired of the waits but this is all BT Wholesale and Openreach issues.

On the speed front, how fast does it need to be? I am on a very long line and all being well, I get 5Mbps. Anything over 3.5Mbps does the job for me just fine! Fibre coming but why should I pay more, when it will make no difference to my use?

My favourites were Win3.11 and Win98SE. XP will be my last M$ OS as I am switching everything over to Linux.

The whole house is cabled with CAT5 and I really do not need to turn Wireless on. I can easily use 3 machines at the same time, each for different tasks and that being the case, I do not need masses of resources for any one of them.

It might be interesting to compare notes with you in some of the other forums. I go waaaaay back too!
Originally Posted by andrew View Post
love too !

Tags
bad, broadband, bt, comparison, digital, email, files, free, imap, internet, isp, line, messenger, offer, phone, shop, sky, sound, speed, talk, talktalk, virgin, web, windows, wireless