Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > Orange / Wanadoo / Freeserve

Old 23-October-2003, 16:16
astr0-z0mbie

Default Don't use the Freeserve Connection Kit?

From sources i cant reveal i can show you an official brief from freeserve head office to their employees concerning people who dont use the freeserve connection kit...
CCB320/v1
IP Redirect
MEDIUM PRIORITY
To be scheduled into next briefing session on the day of issue Action Required

Customer Support
Customer Care
Technical Support
Information Only
CAT Team
Date Effective From

Date Issued

Related Brief(s) Tuesday, 28th October

Wednesday, 22nd October
None

BACKGROUND

Over recent months, Freeserve has been sending emails to AnyTime members, advising them that they should be downloading the Connection Kit for a better Internet experience. This provides Freeserve with a better way of controlling access via set numbers, and therefore making member connection more stable.

These mailings have also been used to notify members that a number is either having its capacity reduced and/or will be switched off in the future - downloading the Connection Kit is the call to action for these members to take.

To take this forward, Freeserve have designed a new system, called 'IP Redirect', which will replace these mailings and achieve the following aims:

· Migrate approximately 200,000 AnyTime members off old dial-up numbers and onto new AnyTime settings, which will include the Connection Kit and INS settings
· Have as many AnyTime members using the Connection Kit as possible, so that we can manage the network more effectively and provide a better connection experience
· Achieve this migration in phases, with minimal impact on the contact centres
· Be able to turn off these old dial up numbers at the end of each phase

DETAILS

What is IP Redirect?

The way IP Redirect works is to recognise the number a member is using to dial into Freeserve, and then direct them to a specific page which requests that the member downloads the Connection Kit and new INS settings. Freeserve can set which numbers will be redirected, and can also modify the percentage of members that will be redirected, to ensure manageable volumes.

There will be a number of phases which will focus on different connection numbers. The first phase will affect members in Northern Ireland and the UK using an old version of the Connection Kit.

The member experience will be as follows:

Connecting to the Internet

When a member tries to connect to Freeserve on an old dial-up number that has been re-directed, once authenticated they will be directed to a specific landing page with details on why they are there. No matter what URL they were originally trying to get to, they will hit the IP re-direct landing page instead, until they have installed new settings as follows:

· They will be asked to key in their email address and password, so that they can download new settings.
· They will then be presented with the normal install page and when they click the install button they will receive the Connection Kit first, followed by an INS file (Mac members will receive a manual page of instructions on how to change their existing number to the Mac number).
· Once installed, they can close the page and reconnect to the Internet in the normal way
· If installed correctly, they will be able to connect to the Internet without any problems
· If the settings did not install correctly, or if they dialled the same old number, then they will be re-directed back to the IP-redirect page
· If they decide not to download their new settings and instead drop out of these pages and re-connect, they will be re-directed back to the same page once more

Examples of these pages are attached.

Accessing Email

If the member is trying to access their email account, then they will receive the following error message:

“Reject with ICMP Internet Unreachable”

To resolve this, the member needs to connect to the Internet via the Freeserve or Internet Explorer icon. They will then be redirected to the download pages. Once their settings are installed, they should be able to download emails as normal.

Please note: The member will not able to surf the Internet or download emails until they have installed new settings.

WHAT DOES THE CSA NEED TO DO?

The following FAQs can help with enquiries relating to IP Re-direct:

Why do I have to download new settings?

We've been making improvements to your Freeserve AnyTime service. This means that your current settings are out of date and so you need to install your new Freeserve AnyTime connection settings. These settings will include the latest version of the Freeserve Connection Kit, designed to get you online quicker.

So what improvements have you made?

We now have one main network that we provide our service on. This means that we are able to manage the network more effectively and so provide a better connection experience.

I have only just downloaded new settings.

We are very sorry for the inconvenience, but we've been making improvements to your Freeserve AnyTime service, so that we can provide the best connection experience. It should only take you a couple of minutes to install and then you can get back online.

What if I don’t want to install new settings?

Unfortunately, if you do not install these settings, you will not be able to surf the Internet or download your emails via your AnyTime settings. It should only take you a couple of minutes to install and then you can get back online.

I have only just joined, why do I need to do it again?

We are very sorry for the inconvenience, but we do need to update these settings from time to time, so that we can provide the best connection experience. It should only take you a couple of minutes to install and then you can get back online.

What if I have technical problems?

If you have any problems with this installation, you can call our Freeserve Connection Kit helpline on 0800 587 3401. Calls to this line are free and lines are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

I can’t access my emails via Outlook Express etc?

We are very sorry for the inconvenience, but we've been making improvements to your Freeserve AnyTime service, and so this means that your connection settings are now out of date. To resolve this, all you need to do is connect to the Internet via the Freeserve or Internet Explorer icon. You will then be automatically directed to a download page, where you can install new AnyTime settings. Once your new settings are installed, you will be able to download emails as normal.
basically means you wont be able to view any websites without using the connection kit (which contains the new numbers)
Old 23-October-2003, 16:47

(Mac members will receive a manual page of instructions on how to change their existing number to the Mac number).
Seems like a possible work-around
Old 23-October-2003, 17:30

Originally posted by Ian
(Mac members will receive a manual page of instructions on how to change their existing number to the Mac number).
Seems like a possible work-around
presume there will be a simliar scheme for linux users ?

Sil
Old 12-February-2004, 23:51
Yorkshire Screamager

I installed it, found it did what I expect from Freeserve: changed settings like "Outlook Express provided by Freeserve" etc, aswell as taking up system resources. So I uninstalled it and made several dialup networking connections. Where did I find the numbers? Look here at the Freeserve Unofficial Frequently Asked Questions. Provides "tweaks" to put your system back after installing Freeserve and other things that Freeserve dont want you to know. Why they can't just give out the numbers is beyond me. Surely a dialup networking connection is all that is needed!

Im off FS Anytime now, got BT Broadband.

Tags
broadband, bt, connection, forward, internet, key, line, network, online, settings