Old 13-January-2004, 22:02
cloody

Angry freeserve & zoom problems

Have bought a zoom ADSL modem and have signed up for freeserve. The green light is on, and according to the modem the line is connected ok. I still can't get the bloody thing to work though!! Being a bit of a novice with these things, I may be doing something stupid, or may need to change settings or something like that, but am tearing my hair out!! Would appreciate any help anyone can give.

Cheers
Old 27-January-2004, 23:27
alanhenery

Have you configured your modem with your ISP details? ie user name and password
Old 06-February-2004, 19:17
Paul S

I had problems getting my Zoom X3 to connect to AOL, so it's not just freeserve.
Nice guy at AOL helped me out all he could, but as AOL do not support Zoom products - only Thompson - he could only offer limited suggestions.
I still have no joy connecting. I suggest you try contacting the Zoom Helpdesk.

Last edited by Paul S; 06-February-2004 at 19:53.
Old 10-February-2004, 00:51
Andrew666

Cloody,

I'm not familiar with Zoom modems, but it could be how you've set it up (I'm assuming it's an Ethernet modem / router?)

Aside from your user name and password (Don't forget @fs at the end of your user name for Freeserve), make sure it's set for PPPoE, not PPPoA, and that it's set for CHAP, not PAP.
Old 11-February-2004, 23:28
joshua

Smile this worked for me

I have just replace my freeserve stingray modem with the Draytek Vigor 2600 ADSL modem and router with great success. The main reason for this was to give the rest of the family independant internet access without having to share access through my main PC. Had very little difficulty with setup once I'd remembered my password! Not the cheapest option at 140 but worth it for the hardware firewall. Check out ITCHEST.COM (I don't work for them). Get a refund on the zoom. Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 01-April-2004, 19:52
Astra

Hi Cloody,

You have my sympathy !!! I recently bought a Zoom X4 and signed up with topletter.com ADSL bb. The line went live and I thought GREAT, high speed internet.

Annnnd... nothing.

Bizarrely it will always connect at top speed to www.cuteftp.com and www.cutehtml.com (where it can hit download speeds of 55k+ bps on both) and very occasionally to hotmail but nothing else at all... Ping works on an IP address and on a URL and tracert and nslookup both work perfectly but I cannot browse .

I've tried tech support at Topletter and Zoom, both of whom were very helpful, but neither were able to suggest a cure.

My setting are the British usual ie 0, 38 and PPPoA VC Mux etc but it doesn't work!

If you get anywhere, PLEASE let me know .
Old 01-April-2004, 22:45
Astra

Cloody,

After a very frustrating week or so of trying every setting under the sun...

I got back from the visiting the parents to find a message about an update from my virus checker and thought "Strange..." My broadband is suddenly working perfectly!!!

I guess it was either a problem with the ISP's radius server or BT. Anyhow, there's hope yet .
Old 17-July-2014, 15:05

Default Re: freeserve & zoom problems

When you need to transfer files, I recommend using FTP Manager Lite. It's an excellent modern free FTP and SFTP client software. The clean interface is super easy to use.

Tags
adsl, aol, broadband, bt, files, free, hotmail, internet, isp, line, mail, make, modem, offer, router, settings, share, software, speed, speeds, virus, zoom