Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > Tiscali

Old 16-November-2001, 15:57
Britrob

Default e mail about new software that changes ur settings

hi has anyone else had this e mail and tried the software.. i am always dubious bout having software that automaticly updates settings guess dont trust it!!
will be interested in hearing if it ok or causes untold problems to ur puter !!! or maybe someone can post the new tel number u need to connect
thanx
Robin
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Member

After 8 January 2002, the dial up number you are currently using to connect to the Internet will be discontinued, therefore you MUST change your settings now in order to be able to connect to the Internet after that date.

We have made it as easy as possible to change your Internet access, by developing some automated dialer software that configures your computer for you.

By downloading this software, we can now, and in the future, automatically make these dial up number changes for you, ensuring that your Tiscali Internet access is fast and reliable by always connecting with the best dial up number.

It's quick and easy to download this software. Simply click on the link below for more information and to automatically change your settings.

Click here to change your settings
http://www.tiscali.co.uk/members/mya.../tkonnect.html

You may receive further information emails from Tiscali, as we believe it is vital to advise our members about this important issue. Please accept our apologies if you have already acted.

Yours sincerely

Tiscali Customer Services
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 16-November-2001, 16:14
Screamager

Looks as though they are catering for those who prefer to adjust their settings manually. The new numbers are published here - with advice that those not wishing to use the TKonnect software should check back occasionally to ensure they have the most recent number.

Pete
Old 16-November-2001, 16:16
Britrob

Default further to the tkconnect new numbers see previous posting

hi
i followed the link on the tkconnect faq (no i have not downloaded the software ... but i see that the new number is the same as btinternet number that i was using before i left due to the very bad connections i got..
http://www.tiscali.co.uk/members/mya...k_numbers.html
this is very odd has tiscalui been taken over by btinternet!!??would be grateful if any light can be shed on this
correction it has 0808 9933031 not 0808 9933001
thanx robin

Last edited by Britrob; 16-November-2001 at 16:25.
Old 16-November-2001, 19:08
stevecope

I think the link you've given is for people wishing to change their Friends and Family settings.

The new number I've found for those wishing to change manually is 0845 6614681 from http://www.tiscali.co.uk/members/mya...onnect_pc.html
Old 16-November-2001, 20:26
JonCooper

the most usefull page I've found is here

(note, no instructions or explainations, just the numbers)
Old 16-November-2001, 22:59
jfj

The number given in Tiscali's instructions for manually changing the dial-up settings is, as stated at the bottom of their page, only an example. The actual number that you should use depends on the service to which you subscribe.

If you currently use one of Tiscali's pay as go services, such as "Tiscali Clasic", then you should (as posted above) change the number to: 0845 6614681.

However, if you use this number to access one of their unmetered services, then you will end up paying BT as well as Tiscali.

So, if you currently connect via: 1690 0845 3530220 change this number to:

0808 9933050 for Tiscali OffPeak
0808 9933151 for Tiscali DayTime
0808 9933031 for Tiscali AnyTime
0808 9933030 for Tiscali 50/ Tiscali 100.

Last edited by jfj; 16-November-2001 at 23:08.
Old 16-November-2001, 23:05
susan i

There are postings on this under the Localtel/Worldonline/Tiscali section under Telcos but a few of us have changed to the new numbers and found that they don't work. Got password rejected, can't connect etc. Got the correct numbers but will not let us connect. Also downloaded software thinking it would automatically change my settings but all I got was a shortcut on the desktop which does dial up and let me get in but this is no good because I need to change the dial-up settings manually to let me get in via Outlook etc without going through a browser. E-mailed Support but no reply as yet. Is anyone else having problems?
Old 17-November-2001, 13:28
thumpert

I have a feeling that they haven't activated the new numbers yet. If you install the software zonealarm reports it as an autoupdater connecting to the net. The desktop shortcut is just a url to the tiscali homepage. My DUN is not set up to connect automatically so I still get the DUN connection window. It hasn't changed my DUN number yet. They probably want loads of people to setup the Tkonnect software before initiating a change to the dialup numbers. I tried it manually and got the same authentication problems as everybody else.

I have uninstalled the Tkonnect for the timebeing and their instructions for that worked OK.

Derek T
Old 17-November-2001, 13:40

I've just had a look at the numbers on the "settings" page of the Tiscali site and they don't seem to have changed:

Tiscali dial-up telephone numbers:

Tiscali 50, Tiscali 100, Tiscali Anytime customers
1690 0845 353 0220

Tiscali Classic customers
0845 661 4681

ISDN Tiscali Classic customers
0845 661 4682

I haven't had an email off them yet either, so I'm not going to change anything just yet (unless it's to change to a new ISP).
Old 17-November-2001, 13:42

0808 99xxxx numbers are FRIACO numbers, it looks like they are moving away from the COLT IDA prefix system. (This is why it looks like the BTI number)
Old 17-November-2001, 14:23
squidgy

At http://www.tiscali.co.uk/members/mya...nnect_mac.html and http://www.tiscali.co.uk/members/mya...onnect_pc.html they tell you how to change your existing dial-up setting on a mac or a PC accordingly to one of the numbers, but the actual number you need to change to will depend on what service you're using, and can be found at http://www.tiscali.co.uk/members/mya...k_numbers.html

However, personally, I would advise against changing your existing dial-up setting at any time, because we're relying on Tiscali to notify us when the new number actually becomes active.

Instead, I would recommend that you keep your existing dial-up, but also set up an additional dial-up according to the numbers given at http://www.tiscali.co.uk/members/mya...k_numbers.html - and to use them, always try the new one first, but if that doesn't work, just try the old one instead. Keep doing this whenever you connect to the internet until the new number becomes reliable, whereupon it'll be safe to delete the old one. Much less likely to cause frustration.

I reckon there's really no need for this number change to become a big drama, because keeping a note of both numbers, so that you aren't relying on any further notification from Tiscali, is obviously the most sensible thing to do. I think it's a bit irresponsible of Tiscali to advise people who might not know better to change settings, rather than create new ones, though, because we all know from past experience that when people do this, it really can blow up into a big drama.
Old 27-November-2001, 23:24
diqa

Default number updater

Well, I downloaded the automatic update programme following the instructions for netscape users. I now have an icon on my desktop sayiing "Tiscali" but it atuomatically launches the explorer browser which is very irritating.
Old 29-November-2001, 13:07
iggy_uk

Question

Has everyone received this information from WOL/Tiscali. I have had nothing from them about it. I'm not too surprised though as their customer relations are abysmal.
Old 29-November-2001, 13:16
Screamager

I have had an email and this morninging I received a written letter but still have not changed over yet. Will wait a little longer I think and change manually.

Pisces
Old 30-November-2001, 10:14
Screamager

I have now added an extra dial up connection manually with the new number but am getting password problems. Is this new number actually working yet. Is anyone using it yet? Still kept the old set up to use in case everything goes wrong.

Pisces
Old 02-December-2001, 21:58
jw1

Today I received my fourth Email (they keep coming!!) from Tiscali saying the no. is changing on Jan. 8th and being such an important issue I MUST act now to change it.

Well I'm on Tiscali 50 and if you go to this page:

it stresses that only the 3 services listed in the table have changed nos. and others (incl.Tiscali 50) have NOT changed. I suggest anyone should check the above info. before worrying too much about it. But keep checking from time to time in case it changes.

It's just more evidence, if we needed it, that the good old Localtel culture is still shining through - left hands not being aware of existence of right hands etc.

Exits stage right before overcome with nostalgia

John
Old 03-December-2001, 09:15
susan i

I agree with you about the old Localtel culture. The way they have handled the change over to new numbers is a complete mess. First of all I was given a number that didn't work. Any e-mails to customer services (a laugh calling it that) weren't replied to and then when I did get a reply I wast told my query would be answered shortly. Well that was over 2 weeks ago. I had installed the new software and find that it actually did change my dial in number to:14700 8089933058 (for Tiscali 50) but it only works about every other dial-in. I get password verifying and then cannot connect. I will probably change it back until I absolutely have to change it. I too have been looking at the page mentioned above and that doesn't mention any changes for Tiscali 50. It shouldn't be difficult for them to keep that up-to-date. No point in having any information at all if it isn't published correctly.
Old 10-December-2001, 23:32
Jubesville

Default New number stuff

Hi folks,
Just a couple of observations
Can you help out a thicky...what's the significance of a FRIACO no. over a COLT one...does this mean something's afoot?
Susan "I" mentioned waiting ages to get a response from customer services....way back someone (can't remember who - but if it was you THANKS you've saved me endless hours on the phone) mentioned the "phone me back" thingy on the Tiswol site.
I've used it loads of time and it DOES work - they phone you at their expense (I like to let it ring a bit so they know how frustrating it is!!)
That should put you in touch with CS without all the normal associated hassle - here's the url

http://signup.uk.worldonline.com/reg...ali_buzzme.htm

Jubes
Old 11-December-2001, 21:36
squidgy

I think FRIACO merely means their cost of sales is probably a bit cheaper. Which means they make bigger profit, which is good news if you're a shareholder, unless they decide to pass on a discount to us customers.

I've used it loads of time and it DOES work - they phone you at their expense (I like to let it ring a bit so they know how frustrating it is!!)
Hate to point this out, but I don't think that a telecommunication service reseller is likely to think about their phone bill in the same way as an ordinary joe bloggs. For one thing, they probably don't have to pay a per-minute charge for phone calls they make, and the other is that it's probably a computer that dials the phone number (just like in the telemarketing call centre I work in) and it only puts you through to a person if you answer. They will have absolutely no idea how long it took you to answer, and if no-one answers, then they're completely oblivious to the fact that the call ever happened.

Point I'm making is that it's handy to know about it if you want to contact them for a genuine reason, but if your only intention is to irritate Tiscali, there are better ways of going about it.
Old 11-December-2001, 22:36
squidgy

Mind you, they do call incredibly quickly, I don't think it's physically possible for a human to read the number and dial it manually in the time it takes, we're talking a second or two, it must be a computerised dialler. Have just used it to set the time right on my Comtech IACM4000.

Last edited by squidgy; 11-December-2001 at 22:42.
Old 12-December-2001, 16:30
Yorkie

As of today new DUN for Tiscali Anytime (0808 9933031) appears to be working. I logged on first time and whether it is my imagination or not it does seem a lot faster.

I had a reply to an e-mail I sent to Tiscali saying it would be working after 10th December, so they are not too late.
Old 12-December-2001, 17:00
Britrob

hi
looks like WOL has gone completly now it shows
friaco.access.uk.tiscali.com
as the isp .. anyone know if there is still a 2 hour cut offf on the new number?
let us hope tiscali is good heheh
robin
Old 12-December-2001, 19:49
thumpert

The Tiscali50 number appears to be working as well but I don't see any difference in performance. I don't think I'll change my default just yet.

Derek T
Old 17-December-2001, 19:25
narro

I recently sent an e-mail to Tiscali AND got a reply. The thing is I am now even more confused. Here is my e-mail and the reply,

"I am a Tiscali 50 user. I recently received an email from Tiscali advising me of a new DUN commencing on 8th December. Software was also available to automatically convert to the new DUN. Can you confirm this is applicable to me as a Tiscali 50 user? The new DUN doesn't seem to work. I am aware others have also had the same problem. Regards"

"Dear
Please accept my apologies for a delayed reply.
As to your query, please continue using the old 1690 number.
We'd soon inform you if you need to download the dialler software and your new dial-up number.
If you need any more help on this one, just send across another mail and we'd be happy to help you out.
Season's Greetings.
Regards, "

I have now received 4 e-mails telling me to change which contradicts the above. Help.
Narro
Old 17-December-2001, 23:57
squidgy

I'm using new number now, it seems to be working fine.
Old 24-December-2001, 09:29
cslogg

Default Tiscali 50 number??

Can someone please clarify what the new Tiscali 50 number is.
I am at present using 169008453530220.
I have seen three different numbers for the same Tiscali 50 service mentioned in these forums.

Can anyone help

Thanks
cslogg
Old 24-December-2001, 12:36

The (one and only) email I've received from Tiscali on the number change states that I can use the current number up until 5th February. It also says that they will be putting information on their website in January (and send an email to inform me of its appearance) if I don't want to download the TKonnect software, but instead want to change the settings manually.

Personally, that's the route I'll be taking unless they explain exactly what TKonnect does.
Old 24-December-2001, 12:49
cslogg

I have yet to receive any emails from Tiscali but on Friday a snailmail arrived stating where to download the software and to change my settings asap.I am the same as you and will do it manually but I still do not know the correct number.

cslogg
Old 24-December-2001, 16:04
Screamager

Hi cslogg, Have you visited the Tiscali web page at all. They have a Forum section and you may find some info on there about Tiscali 50 phone number. Lots of discussion going on there, I am waiting for the new Anytime phone number so I can change my setting manually.

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/forums/

You can read only or if you want to ask a question you have to register.

Hope this helps.

Pisces

To everyone, a Happy Christmas and a Peaceful 2002.

Last edited by Pisces; 24-December-2001 at 20:16.
Old 24-December-2001, 16:58
Stuart#B

Default New number???

Hi all Im tiscali100 user and have just made new dial up and tried 2 different numbers.
1690 0845 3530 220 was my original number.
I tried 1471 0808 9933 030 but it wouldnt recognise my password.
so then I tried- 1471 0808 9933 058 and it works fine not shure if its any faster or slower yet tho.
Give it a try for yourselves to see which is best.
I hope its the rite number im using??
Does anyone who has a Tiscali100 account who has downloaded the TCONNECT thingy know what the exact number is for tiscali100 users????.
If this is the rite number i wont have to download the TCONNECT thingy.

Tags
aol, bad, bt, christmas, company, computer, connection, email, failure, forward, happy, internet, isp, key, line, mail, make, offer, phone, settings, software, talk, tiscali, web, zonealarm