Old 14-September-2015, 10:14

Wink Re: Windows 10

........Pesky things like house work and cooking get in the way all the time.
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
That's life!

Win 10 with an SSD is great, so much faster. Enjoy.
Old 18-September-2015, 22:18
Trance Addict

Default Re: Windows 10

Now that I have it behaving on my number 1 laptop it's made it run much smoother and faster. From a cold boot I'm at the desktop in a matter of seconds - rather than minutes even on a mechanical hard drive.

Now that I've done the upgrade on my desktop I need to do a clean install on the SSD by using the Magic Jelly Bean app to get the licence code so I can install.
Old 20-September-2015, 15:00

Afternoon all

Im using win 10 on both lappy and desktop quite happy with it it loads faster and havnt had any problems, just updated printer drivers.

Only issue i has was installing on desktop it wouldnt do it, got almost there then had an error and it went back to win7, the problem turned out to be the disk image program i had running, uninstalled and went on a treat.

Once you are happy with it and are sure your not going back you can run the temp disk space cleaner and delete all old o/s systm to free up 40 -50 gb of space.
Old 21-September-2015, 18:12
Trance Addict

You only have 30 days to roll back to Windows 7/8 if you've changed your mind. After that you'll have to start over if you really don't want to keep the upgrade.
Old 28-September-2015, 05:01

Thank you for your advice, i remenbered that
Old 07-October-2015, 04:09
Safe Sane Consensual

Working well but find many instances where Windows 10 seems to make things difficult if you prefer not to use Microsoft products.

Seem to be using a right click to go to file location more frequently as Windows 10 options, particularly for received photos that arrive from the cloud!

Windows Live Mail will always load and be useable from start up. If however you close the program instead of minimising you often cannot restart Live Mail unless you reboot,

The good thing is that the reboot is faster than in Windows 7

Seem like many others I have experienced network problems and consequently problems with shared printers. Surely removing a previous home network and starting again should be a basic wizard and not complicated?

Guess the next stage, when solid state drives become cheaper, will be to investigate copying the whole system and files over for use if computer fails or you want to move to a new computer.
Old 07-October-2015, 15:04

Cool Re: Windows 10

Hi Worldlife
I did a clean install on my desktop after installing an SSD and it's great.
I recall that you WERE using Quicken 2002, so am I and it's fine on Win10. In fact I've not had any problems with previous software re-installing (Windows Media Centre excepted).
Old 17-November-2015, 06:01
Screamer

Windows 10 has some flaws, but it's so much better than 8. Still prefer OSX tho :P
Old 03-December-2015, 22:20
Rambler

Angry Re: Windows 10

No hope for me then, can't update 8.1
Originally Posted by Twinkle View Post
I still have the problem.

How long before it stops downloading?
Old 04-January-2016, 10:31

Thank you. That's what I needed to know really.
Old 12-March-2016, 21:37
Rambler

Thank you. That's what I needed to know really.
Originally Posted by pearl02583 View Post
Lets hope we get an answer soon.
Old 13-March-2016, 18:33
Safe Sane Consensual

Window 10 upgrades seem always to interfere with the system. Microsoft seem to try and change your preferred programs to Microsoft ones.

Windows Live Mail was ideal for me in handling multiple accounts but it is has a limited life. From time to time it did seem to stop Windows 10 completing its start up.

Changed to Mailbird and this alleviated that problem. The only issue I have with Mailbird is that you cannot turn off the "conversation" filing. It is OK for domestic use but gets too complicated when trying to select messages for forwarding and finding them! The other day I sent out a "conversation" instead of an individual email as intended..

Started to use Window Live Mail again for commercial correspondence and stalled start ups were the result.

Why on earth can't we have more basic reliable and stable programs especially when archived emails from one program may not be read by its replacement!
Old 13-March-2016, 21:10
Rambler

That's many off the reasons Pearl & I do not want windows 10 to install! Trouble is if you try to get other updates 10 starts to install!
Old 15-March-2016, 11:49
Foxy Lady

I use Thunderbird as my mail client, although even that has it's problems. Can't understand wh in this day and age one can't be produced that works well and is stable!!

I'm not happy with Windows 10 as I really don't like the tiles like 8 and 8.1, I much prefer Windows 7 and Vista was even more personalizable, but unfortunately we're not going to have any choice eventually as Microsoft will stop all updates and support for previous versions, so will leave us vulnerable if we don't agree to install Windows 10.

I for one will not be installing it until the final minute as there are many obvious glitches that still need ironing out and they don't seem to be hurrying themselves to fix any of these anytime soon.

Truth be told, they've got us all over a barrell unless you go over to using Linux or similar OS and for most of us they're far too different from what we're used to.
Old 15-March-2016, 21:08
Rambler

I personally don't want it! Can't and have not, had any updates from MS for ages, as its forcing 10 to download! I turned MS off in the updates. Just have to plod on as I have been!!!
Old 16-March-2016, 15:59
Foxy Lady

Smile Re: Windows 10

I haven't had any downloads for Windows 10 trying to install or even download Twinkle. All I've had is the reminder popping up telling me I can get it free.
As I haven't done anything with it, it doesn't seem to have done anything about trying to install itself.

I don't want it either but as my small Asus combi has Windows 8 on it, I thought Windows 10 might be a bit better as you can choose to use the more classic interface rather than those blasted tiles that are absolute pants!!

Figured I might try downloading it onto there first and see what it's like... after all, you don't know 'till you try........
Old 16-March-2016, 17:40

Cool Re: Windows 10

It seems to take very little drive space - I have it running on an SSD and with all programs and Win 10 it's only taking up 45gb on my laptop. Data is on a different partition.
Old 16-March-2016, 18:21
Foxy Lady

It seems to take very little drive space - I have it running on an SSD and with all programs and Win 10 it's only taking up 45gb on my laptop. Data is on a different partition.
Originally Posted by gem View Post
That's interesting to know gem, thanks. My little Asus combo is only small and hasn't got a lot of space so I might just give it a go and get rid of that blasted Windows 8 that I hate so much!! Just hope it doesn't upset the touchscreen as I use it as a tablet as well as a small lappy.
Old 16-March-2016, 20:45
Safe Sane Consensual

@jenonnet
Think we have all learned that nothing in life comes free! For the Windows 10 free operating system your privacy is invaded and Microsoft have the potential to use your data for commercial purposes
Old 16-March-2016, 21:10
Rambler

That's interesting to know gem, thanks. My little Asus combo is only small and hasn't got a lot of space so I might just give it a go and get rid of that blasted Windows 8 that I hate so much!! Just hope it doesn't upset the touchscreen as I use it as a tablet as well as a small lappy.
Originally Posted by jenonnet View Post
Don't know if it will help you Jen. I have 8 and downloaded shell here:-
http://www.classicshell.net/
Old 16-March-2016, 21:30
Foxy Lady

@jenonnet
Think we have all learned that nothing in life comes free! For the Windows 10 free operating system your privacy is invaded and Microsoft have the potential to use your data for commercial purposes
Originally Posted by Worldlife View Post
Tbh WL, Microsoft have always invaded your privacy and steered you the way they want you to go. They've got far too much of a monopoly as far as I'm concerned. Besides he fact, most businesses seem to be using your data for commercial purposes these days. It's a sign of the times and unless you have nothing at all to do with anything technical you won't avoid it.... even peeps who don't use anything techie still can't avoid it......

Look at all those poor elderly peeps who constantly get bombarded with hoax letters and spam saying they've won lots of money, or phone calls saying the're from the Bank and need to check their details to make their account safe when all they really want to do is rob them of their life savings! It's all the same, their private data has been used just the same.

You can't escape it anywhere these days.
Old 16-March-2016, 21:38
Safe Sane Consensual

@jenonnet - maybe it is better that it is so much more blatant in Windows 10!
Old 16-March-2016, 21:39
Foxy Lady

Don't know if it will help you Jen. I have 8 and downloaded shell here:-
http://www.classicshell.net/
Originally Posted by Twinkle View Post
Thanks for that gem, it's a great help.
Old 16-March-2016, 22:05
Foxy Lady

@jenonnet - maybe it is better that it is so much more blatant in Windows 10!
Originally Posted by Worldlife View Post
lol, I should think so WL, pity more businesses aren't as open about it. If they were made to be more honest about what they use our data for at least we'd be able to make an informed decision as to whether we wanted to use the or not..... but that's exactly why they aren't open and honest!! ..... no surprise there then!!
Old 21-July-2016, 09:23
Foxy Lady

Thumbs up Re: Windows 10

Well, I've finally taken the plunge and upgraded to Windows 10.

TBH it isn't as bad as I thought it would be, especially after I installed the classic shell gem put me onto, thanks honey, it's great!

I've tweaked it to within an inch of it's life and it looks a lot like Win 7 & Vista now so I can deal with that.

One thing I don't like though is the fact that you can't change the background colour or page and working background colour in word and other software. I get migraines and need a very pale blue as my page colour instead of the normal white, but Win 10 doesn't let you customise it that much.... unless anyone has any tips on how to do it??

Why do Microsoft always have to take one step forward and two steps back??!! What's the sense in removing the very things that help us make it our own to suit ourselves on our own PC's!! It really does annoy me! Rant over.
Old 21-July-2016, 10:20
Screamer

Hi Jen
Found this:-
Navigate to Design tab first and then click on Page Colour box located located upper right corner of the window to select an available colour and set it as background colour for your current page. To select a custom colour, click More Colours option.
or
If you prefer using keyboard shortcuts to quickly change the page background colour, simultaneously press Alt + E keys first to switch to the Design tab and then simultaneously press P and C keys to navigate to Page Colour. Once you are there, use arrow keys to select a colour.
There is a major update(anniversary update) happening to Windows 10 after Aug 02 expect a big download then update process. This will improve many things. I am currently running it. I am on Microsoft Insider ring to test out upcoming software.
You can do the above to your blank default doc then save that so it comes up like it each time. What version of word/ office are you using?

Ron.
Old 21-July-2016, 10:54
Screamer

in word 2016 (2013 may be the same.) the Template you want to modify is saved in
CUSERS\YOUR NAME\APPDATA\ROAMING\MICROSOFT\TEMPLATES . Load the normal template, change the page colour by using design tab then page colour(top right) and then "save it as" e.g. normalblu and then on future new docs choose normalblu as your start doc. You may have to change view to show hidden folders in file views. APPdata folder is normally hidden.
Ron
Old 21-July-2016, 11:02
Foxy Lady

Hi Ron
Thanks for the page colour info, I did know about it but the problem is that it only changes it for that one document, you can't set it as a default, which is very annoying t have to keep going in on every document to change the colour before I start work.
Also, I can't change the background colour of web pages, or the background on my laptop. With Win 7 & Vista I could do that and more if I so wished.
I'm using Office 2010, I can't afford to upgrade as I only have my pension, so as you can imagine, money is very tight.
I really do appreciate your reply and help, let's hope MS take on board the comments made by their users and give us back the autonomy we had to be able to customise our own Windows for our own PC's.
Old 21-July-2016, 11:07
Foxy Lady

in word 2016 (2013 may be the same.) the Template you want to modify is saved in
CUSERS\YOUR NAME\APPDATA\ROAMING\MICROSOFT\TEMPLATES .
Originally Posted by ronb62 View Post
Thanks Ron, I only have Word 2010 so it isn't the same, all I have is:
CUSERS\MY NAME\ROAMING\INTEL\WIRELESS ... which doesn't match yours at all. Can't afford to upgrade so won't be able to set a default unfortunately.
Thanks for your help though.
Old 21-July-2016, 12:55
Screamer

you need to do a search for *.dotm on your C drive when you find the location of Normal.dotm you can open that, change the colour and save it in the same place as normalblu.dotm . If it wont let you save there- save it in you normal documents folder then copy into the relevant folder- it will ask you for administrator privileges/confirmation.
Only problem I see is that it may try to print a blue page so you may have to change the page colour just before printing/saving.
Look at
http://www.wincustomize.com/explore/windowblinds/8531/
Free- (sorry if links aren't allowed)

Tags
123, computer, failure, files, flash, forward, france, free, happy, laptop, law, line, lost, make, new computer, online, player, recovery, router, screen, security, settings, software, tools, windows