Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > General Software

Old 02-May-2003, 19:13
Screamager

Default Pegasus Client/Mercury Mail Transport System

My ISP will not allow me to send email with any email address except that of the email address which they make available with my connection. I also have my own domain (with an email forwarding system for incoming email) which is incredibly handy for the various registrations that one is always making. For example if I register for a newsletter from The Daily News, I register as thedailynews@mydomain.com. If spam starts showing up addressed to the above email, I redirect it into a black hole.

However if I want to contact The Daily News and I want to set up and use a mail account in Outlook Express as thedailynews@mydomain.com, my ISP will block it. This is a fairly recent development as they used to allow it. Security and spam issues!!

For reasons more related to security issues, I have been looking at Pegasus email client and find the description below, but before you read it (in case you don't need to),

what I want to know is if Pegasus and Mercury Mail Server can solve my need to send mail from "thedailynews@mydomain.com" through my ISP, or do I need to install a separate mail server or what?

"Pegasus Mail for Windows - Overview

Pegasus Mail is an e-mail client that runs on computers using Microsoft Windows: by client, we mean that it interacts directly with the user, allowing mail to be sent, read, filed, printed and otherwise manipulated through a graphical interface. Probably one of the most feature-rich mail clients available, most users say that they find the program easy to use despite its richness. Small and fast, Pegasus Mail can be left running permanently on the workstation and includes powerful tools to notify the user when new mail arrives.

Pegasus Mail can run on single Windows computers, or local area networks - it has special support for Novell NetWare LANs that allow it to operate intuitively and with almost no maintenance. The program also supports multiple users on a single computer. Versions are available for both 32-bit Windows (Windows 95, 98, NT4, 2000 and XP) and 16-bit Windows (any version of Windows 3.1 or later). Pegasus Mail can act as a complete internal mail system on its own without needing further servers or components: it can send and receive Internet mail on its own using standard protocols (SMTP, IMAP and POP3). By adding our Mercury Mail Transport System as a mail server, you can provide fully-integrated centralized Internet e-mail services and mailing list management for your Pegasus Mail users"

Tags
connection, email, feature, imap, internet, isp, mail, make, security, smtp, tools, windows