Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > Networking

Old 09-September-2005, 22:08
tujags

Default Re: Make Your Own Router - secrets revealed

DHCP problem I don't run Windows firewall but still have Zone Alarm Pro installed from Pre ipcop days this has caused a few problems in its time so may be the cause.
My ipcop box is a 500Mhz Celeron & that works fine, hard drive is 15Gb.
Old 09-September-2005, 22:33
puggsley1980

Guys,

I can't get into my hotmail since the switch, are there any known issues with this? Could just be a sinister co-ink-i-dink i guess.

Puggs,

ps - Next SSH and the joys of tunnelling into your home PC from the office!
Old 10-September-2005, 09:18

Never had anyprobs with hotmail with ipcop Puggs.
Old 10-September-2005, 12:17
puggsley1980

Tested it last night just to be sure, works ok on a direct connection but i can't get in through IPCop. Hmmmm, i'll do some googling later and try to solve it.

I have a buddy coming round soon for some 2k3 studying, its very refreshing to have my entire lab connected to the web!
Old 19-September-2005, 15:18
LilC

Thumbs up Re: Make Your Own Router - secrets revealed

Hi Silver,
I apologize for my bad english(im from holland lol).
But the thing is i am also attempting to make my own router, and i found this forum and it really intrested me, A friend of mine told me about the same thing that your explaining to us but this program/router whas called Freesco and my question is is Ipcop better then Freesco ? . ? . ? (dont know if you know Freesco).

http://www.freesco.org/

its the same concept as Ipcop,
But my intensions with Ipcop or Freesco is to run a GameServer(For JK2).

i also wanted to know if you could do this with a ADSL USB modem but you already gave me that answer when i whas reading the treads. thanks for that

So FReesco or IpCop ---------> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Thats what i wanna know :P,
And if you could send your reply to my mail ( and of course on the forum for other people who would like to know )

My mail = (removed)

If you could tell me that would be GREAT thnx Dude XD

*LilC

Last edited by silver; 19-September-2005 at 16:02.
Old 19-September-2005, 16:07

I removed your email since it's likely you'd get spam posting it on an open website,. you should receive an email from this reply since you're subscribed to the thread

ipcop is a very much cut-down linux - in fact in many ways you shouldn't regard it as a linux box at all, whether you can run a gameserver on it - possibly - but no one would advise you to do so, since a firewall is and should only be a firewall,. a gameserver could possibly be compromised leading to your external defence being compromised also,.

personally I'd say - just buy an adsl-modem-router/firewall - they are cheap now and get a normal linux box and stick the gameserver on that,. of course if you have more than one 'spare box' then use ipcop and put the gameserver on a linux box within the 'dmz' of ipcop - this is really the recommended way to do things,. it's more hassle but it is more secure,.

Sil

PS, I don't know freesco - but at a guess it looks similar to ipcop in the sense it is a very cut-down linux and again you may have problems trying to run the gameserver on there (there won't be a compiler for instance - if you needed one)

PPS, welcome to TS!
Old 16-October-2005, 11:56
G0AOZ

Successfully built an IPCOP router some time ago and used a Speedtouch 330 USB modem. It all worked very well indeed thanks!

A friend now wants a router built from a spare PC, but only has a BT Voyager USB modem (don't know exact model yet). Are Linux drivers available for these types of modem, and if yes, can someone please kindly direct me to the appropriate download site.

ROGER - G0AOZ.
Old 16-October-2005, 13:38

Its prolly the 105 i had a quick look and didnt find anything of help.

But if he really wants an ipcop box buy a 330 modem from ebay theres loads on and only a few quid.
Old 10-November-2005, 16:34
G0AOZ

Well I never did get the BT USB modem to work...

However, the challenge now is to get a Sagem 800 modem working. Clicking on NETWORK, then UPLOAD on the webpage doesn't give me an option for loading what I think are the Sagem drivers. Alcatel, ECI or Fritz are the only ones I see on the screen...

Can someone kindly lead me through this please?

G0AOZ.
Old 10-November-2005, 16:51

Im not running ipcop here atm but i think the sagem 800 uses the eagle chipset so you will need those drivers.

It may be supported in the latest version i dont no.

Heres a link to the drivers i dont no how you get it working.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...group_id=77364
Old 12-November-2005, 09:08
G0AOZ

Thanks for that Scoobs. I don't seem to be getting anywhere with this now - I guess it's no longer supported... Downloaded v1.4.10 but it doesn't seem to offer support for Sagem drivers or the BT Voyager drivers.

Are there any other d.i.y. routers that are likely to work with these do you think?

G0AOZ.
Old 07-January-2006, 22:15
tujags

Angry Re: Make Your Own Router - secrets revealed

Well after a year of happy IPCop operation I seem to be in trouble again the old problem of DCHP server not renewing leases on the network net result PC's allocate their own IP addresses & network connectivity is gone I,ve had this problem before but long enough ago that I have forgotten how I cured it!

May be significant latest Microsoft XP update installed last night nothing would connect this morning restored this PC back to last Thursday settings & it worked switched off microsoft autoupdate as well. Thought I had cured problem but after this one was idle for an hour or two connectivity had gone again, ip address had changed. Working again at the moment after rebooting not sure how long for. How daft is this the other network PC has a fixed IP address (changed ipcop DHCP sever to suit) connect to ipcop but won't connect to internet bloody hell I've already spent most of today chasing this 'problem' round in circles - something about disappearing up my own fundamental orifice!
Old 10-January-2006, 08:45

Are you running the latest update 1.4.10 ?

If you have problems with dhcp why dont you just set them to static ?

There is a screenshot of the windows setting a few pages back

Just a case of having ip for pc 192.168.1.10 , subnet 255.255.255.0 and gateway the same as ipcops ip 192.168.1.1 for example
Old 10-January-2006, 14:00
tujags

[QUOTE=Scoobs]Are you running the latest update 1.4.10 ?

If you have problems with dhcp why dont you just set them to static ?

There is a screenshot of the windows setting a few pages back

Just a case of having ip for pc 192.168.1.10 , subnet 255.255.255.0 and gateway the same as ipcops ip 192.168.1.1 for example

Yes all updates installed, one PC on network has static IP address this accesses IPCop but won't connect to internet. The other is working OK at the moment (touch wood) I'm sending this from my work PC I will install the XP updates & see what happens.
I remember having a similar problem when I first installed IPCop but can't remember the fix - it was a year ago! My network always seemed to be a bit didgy even before IPCop.
Old 10-January-2006, 15:01

Yes all updates installed, one PC on network has static IP address this accesses IPCop but won't connect to internet. The other is working OK at the moment (touch wood) I'm sending this from my work PC I will install the XP updates & see what happens.
Originally Posted by tujags
If you havnt got the gateway/dns set to the same ip as the ipcop it wont be able to go on the net (windows pc)

Screeny is on page 9 down the bottom

Last edited by Scoobs; 10-January-2006 at 15:07.
Old 10-January-2006, 20:33
tujags

If you havnt got the gateway/dns set to the same ip as the ipcop it wont be able to go on the net (windows pc)

Screeny is on page 9 down the bottom
Originally Posted by Scoobs
Windows update installed on this PC & all seems ok.
Other PC now connecting I set Ipcop DHCP & PC to obtain IP address automatically & it's working. What can I say, this network has always been a little strange must be haunted! Will install the Windows update on that one now.
Old 20-March-2006, 10:38
JanCo

Hi
Interesting post and when I get some more networking experience under my belt, it will be very helpful! In the meantime, can you point me in the right direction?
I've just bought an Addon GWAR3000 ADSL router. All's not well ... loaded up the software and I get an error message - It won't let me open up the admin screen to set up the ISP broadband details ... tells me it can't locate the modem.
Any ideas how I can get around this (I've uninstalled and reinstalled but still no joy)? Thanks.
Old 11-April-2006, 11:30

You don’t normally have to install anything for a modem/router.

If it’s an rj45 type you would just type an ip into the browser and then log into the router, the manual normally tells you the ip but most are 192.168.0.1 or 10.0.0.2

Make sure your pc is set to obtain ip automatically

I dont no what type the one you brought is but if it isnt pluged into the pc via the networkcard take no notice of the above
Old 09-May-2006, 20:51
tujags

Hi I haven't been on recently as things have been pretty quiet but I'm still getting problems with Ipcop. Either the DHCP does not renew the leases after time out so we lose the internet or if I don't use my PC for a while the internet connection won't work, everything reports OK network fine, IP addresses in the correct range, Ipcop 'dial on demand waiting' but won't connect when I try a web page get the 'Can't find server' from Internet explorer. Only cure is to unplug the IPcop box wait a few seconds & plug it in & bingo everything works. Seems to be like this for the last couple of months up to then no problems almost forget IPCop is there.

I seem to have had variations of this problem from day one not all the time quite often everthing works for months then nothing but problems. PITA! I just doesn't seem logical!
Old 20-August-2006, 17:06
Joshiii-Kun

Hi everyone, I'm new :P That's kind of cliché, huh?

Anyway, this guide was a good read. I've actually been looking for something like this, as my Linksys router is so very weak and retarded. It can't handle my internet behaviour :P Or actually, it can't handle anything. Loading a text-only webpage can make this router go boom and new firmware did not fix it (even though they said it would fix the problem).

So, it's pretty nice to read that you don't need a very good computer to make a dedicated router, I can buy a capable computer for just €10, and that's just swell :P I hope it doesn't make a lot of noise though.

I've been wondering about something though. I have to share the internet connection with another computer in this house. According to the posts here you need to put a switch or a hub between the IPCop Router and the computers, however, doesn't this mean that the switch or the hub could become a problem factor? What if the switch or the hub gets overloaded or something like that, just like those rubbish routers I've tried? Or is that not possible with a switch/hub?
I've personally never worked with switches/hubs. Can you just acces the router by typing 192.168.1.1 (in my current case) or will you get into the switch/hub interface that way?

And lastly, I've been wondering if it is possible to set up a wireless connection with IPCop somehow. I personally never would go for wireless, but my mom is planning to buy a laptop some day and she will want to work everywhere in the house.
Old 21-August-2006, 19:33
Former TS! Team

I'll try to answer these roughly in the order of your questions.

Firstly get a cat5 switch not a hub, they don't cost much more and work far better.
A hub sends the same data to everyone, a switch just sends the right data to the right cable.
Switches / Hubs dont have web interfaces. They just do one job and have no settings. Easier than plug n play.

Any cheap second hand / carboot sale low spec pc will do. although obviously the higher spec the better.

Noise? well that depends on what you buy. It is possible to make a fanless diskless router for ultimate comfort, but that will cost more.

I have two cheap switches which will be replaced due to buzzing but I've never had a switch fail on me. Although of course it's a possibility. More likely it's a router or pc to break. I currently have 5 switches in use in this house. And an old netgear hub thats just used for creating small portable networks for installing servers etc. Only reason I'm pulling buzzing switches is because of an upgrade, they still work fine

Switches / Hubs run at 100Mb/s, your dsl runs at something like 1Mb/s (maybe 2 in this day n age). The bottleneck will always be the connection to the internet. Unless you transfer multiple movies over the network at the same time you are unlikely to saturate a 100Mb/s switch, and even if you do, it'll just carry on doing it's thing.

A Hub / Switch does not have an ipaddress, they are invisible to the network. Again no it doesn't have an web interface, so tapping in the ip of your router will bring it's admin page up.

Add another network card to IPCop (Blue Zone) for wireless access. Attach to the added network card one or more access points. Personally I disabled WEP and other wireless encryption, then used the vpn function on IPCop. (side note I actually opted to install another vpn server on ipcop insted of using the built in one).

Last edited by Memfis; 21-August-2006 at 20:40. Reason: got called away from PC.
Old 21-August-2006, 20:22
DavefraScotland

First of all, brilliant thread, and.........

Juuuuuust a quick thought and question, can you use the ipcop machine as a print server using its usb or parallel ports? Or would you use a dedicated print server attached to the switched box via network cable?
Old 21-August-2006, 20:25
Former TS! Team

Let ipcop do it's thing.

Print servers are fairly cheap these days, better to network one in than create security holes in ipcop.

edit : Besides as most of the IPCop OS isn't required so isn't installed you might find it a little hard to get printer drivers etc etc installed.

Last edited by Memfis; 21-August-2006 at 20:34.
Old 21-August-2006, 21:10
DavefraScotland

Ah right, I was just wondering, I'm on my third print server, one obsolete (parallel interface), one fell over entirely (wont recognise the printer as being online via usb) and just got my third one (power supply failed, replaced), too early to tell how reliable it will be, so I just wondered
Old 12-September-2006, 00:26
atez13

Lightbulb Re: Make Your Own Router - secrets revealed

Hi ho Silver,

This might sound daft but using the same principle as your 'router',(which I'm preparing to build), could you build a pc just to accomodate hard drives and add that to the network for all network users to use for storage?
It would be useful because I'm out of physical space for hdd's.

Atez........
Old 12-September-2006, 08:29

Hi ho Silver,

This might sound daft but using the same principle as your 'router',(which I'm preparing to build), could you build a pc just to accomodate hard drives and add that to the network for all network users to use for storage?
It would be useful because I'm out of physical space for hdd's.

Atez........
Originally Posted by atez13 View Post
yes, I have a windows PC setup with 4 disks in it and share out the folders using windows file sharing

Sil
Old 12-September-2006, 13:49
atez13

Thumbs up Re: Make Your Own Router - secrets revealed

Good,
I'll have to ask you how to set it up when I'm ready.
I've got 5 pc's coming this week (low spec but all working systems) so my network needs expanding and I'll have spare machines to play with and make up your 'router' to start with .
Lots of questions to come.

thanks for that

Atez
Old 23-January-2007, 08:42
Stryker

I haven't really got the time to read much into this since I have alot on my plate with getting deployed in a month to Iraq.
Important Question:

1. Is it possible to run this from a dedicated Server(s) or is the OS for IPCOP a standalone? (One of the Servers is a Mac and the other is Linux and Possibly a near future Windows based one)

Much Appreciated.
Old 23-January-2007, 09:08

Its a standalone system.
Old 24-January-2007, 05:58
Stryker

Thank you

Tags
adsl, aol, bt, cable, compare, connection, dead, deals, dns, file sharing, firmware, free, hacking, isp, make, modem, nat, network, router, share, sharing, slow, software, sound, speed, speedtouch, thomson, virgin, voyager, web, windows, wireless, zyxel