Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > AOL

Old 28-February-2004, 22:03
Alnath

Default Aol Faq

PLEASE NOTE THESE ARE THE NEW DEFAULT ROUTER SETTINGS FOR AOL

How can I connect to AOL?

AOL has dropped its ‘closed shop’ approach and you can now connect to the service in anyway you wish. Analogue dial-up modem, ADSL modem and routers are now all supported.

In the AOL FAQs it says only Thomson routers are supported.

It is a play on words, all routers will work *edit* providing your router supports PPPoA (some people are also having success with PPPoE as well now), AOL will only offer support to Thompson routers.

Do I have to still use the AOL software?

If you are a dial up user then currently yes although a dialler will be in AOL 9 where by you will not have to use the full AOL client. *edit* AOL 9 is out.

If you are a broadband user then no, you do not have to use the software. *edit* has anyone tried just setting up a DUN? There is now no reason why it would not work.

If you use a DSL modem just uninstall AOL and the modem. Get the modem drivers off the AOL installation disc, reinstall the modem, put your screen name and password in (password must be 8 or less characters) and that’s it. *edit* You can keep the software on with a modem now giving you the option of using it or not (some members of the family may like it)

*edit* AOL no longer needs the MTU altering, any router will work "out of the box"

If you use a router you can have the AOL client on or off your computer, it makes no difference as the router logs on when it powers up. Just set up the router according to the manufacturers instructions and that should be all that is required apart from the following settings to the MTU which must be set to 1400 in both the router and any network card that is going to connect to the service. The BT MTU utility can be downloaded from here http://62.172.198.79/broadband1/down..._and_QandA.zip *edit* It has been pointed out to me that the network card can be left at its default settings and that setting the MRU to 1400 as well as the MTU on the router works perfect. (thanks Furby for that)

Once again your password must be 8 characters or less.

These settings (on my router) are in the WAN Config

Can I use any email client I like as well?

Yes providing it uses the IMAP protocol. You can find out how to use Outlook Express here http://www-stg.aolsvc.co.uk/help/Out...pressSteps.htm *edit* The outgoing mail server port must be set to 587

Can I set up a home network?

Yes, just buy a router with as many ports as you need, each PC will need its network card MTU set to 1400 to work correctly *edit* with the router MRU set to 1400 this step will not be needed. Each PC connected to the network can use the AOL software if required, it is entirely down to the user as to use it or not. One thing you might like to remember is the AOL parental controls will not work on a network for the simple reason you can just open Internet Explorer and be logged in as the master screen name. If you want the parental controls to work uninstall Internet Explorer and remove any icons that relate to it.

*edit* AOL no longer needs the MTU altering, any router will work "out of the box"

Can I set up a home network if I have AOL Cable Broadband?

Unfortunately, AOL does not currently support home networking for cable broadband users. (sometime this year maybe)

Your post is crap, i want more info

More info can be found at AOL keyword "home networking" (dont use the quotes)

I seem to be having problems with AOL 9, Sygate personal firewall and a router, after 3 or 4 connection attempts AOL refuses to connect

There seems to be a file in AOL 9 that causes this problem. It is found in program files/common files/AOL/ACS/ATWpkt2.sys and ATWpkt2.VXD. These are something to do with the AOL protocol driver, just rename them and the problem goes away.

Connecting Without the AOL software using a DSL modem

Go to Network Connections, double click on the BT modem connection icon to bring up the connect box. Place your full master screename and password (8 characters or less) and click on dial. Right click on the icon again and select create short cut and select the place on desktop option. (you can remove the AOL software if you like OR just install the modem drivers to start with) It doesnt have to be set to "me only" either, i simply forgot to change it for the screenie.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aolconnect.gif
Views:	682
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	459  

Last edited by Alnath; 10-September-2006 at 19:07. Reason: Updated 10/09/06
Old 29-February-2004, 00:55
Alnath

To connect with a router on AOL you may also need to refresh what the software can connect with should you wish to continue using it.

Click on Add Modem

AOL 9 will automaticaly update any new connection devise.

Last edited by Alnath; 05-July-2004 at 12:48.
Old 29-February-2004, 02:11
Alnath

Default Updated 22/01/05

Bargain 4 port modem/router known to work with AOL

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=48449

Specs: http://safecom.cn/code/category.asp?prdid=4&subcatid=1

The latest firmware for this router highlights which settings to change for AOL to work with it.

Last edited by Alnath; 22-January-2005 at 14:13.
Old 06-March-2004, 15:37
Alnath

My Voyager DSL modem keeps stopping/turning off/packing in

The chances are it is overloading your USB port, this is a possible fix.

In the device manger find this and uncheck the power option

Then find the USB root hub with this on it:

Then uncheck the power option like this:

Also see if any updated drivers are available http://www.aol.co.uk/about/help/faqs...s_install.html

If the above does not clear the problem then the modem is probably using more current that the USB port can provide and using a powered USB hub is the only solution should you wish to continue using the supplied modem.

Last edited by Alnath; 09-May-2005 at 10:31.
Old 29-April-2004, 13:00
berksbirds

I am an AOL broadband subscriber and I have a PC running Win ME and an old laptop running Win 98. I am about to buy a new PC running Win XP. Would it be feasible to run all three via wireless networking? All the recommendations I've read so far about AOL networking say I should run Win 2000 or Win XP.

Any help appreciated..
Old 03-May-2004, 02:31
Stoz30

Further to your very helpful information stated above. I recently bought a wireless 2300 Router from Dell with a new desktop which I got from them. I am running XP on three computers and I have AOL (DSL) broadband currently set up on one of them. Hence the need for a wireless network.
However, the AOL modem (BT Voyager) as you know only has a USB out and the Dell Router only has ethernet in.
Does anyone have any idea how I can set up a network with this kit or do I need to buy something else?

Additionally, does the above explanation relating to *edit* mean that I can use my broadband connection (purchased through AOL) without actually logging to my AOL screen name? I ask this because I use my AOL account at work and my family use it at home and as you are probably aware, only one user can get online with any one given AOL account. This is reason enough for me to ditch the whole AOL deal if it wasn't for the fact I have just taken on a 12 broadband contract (roll on March 2005).
Old 03-May-2004, 12:13
The-Geek

Originally posted by berksbirds
I am an AOL broadband subscriber and I have a PC running Win ME and an old laptop running Win 98. I am about to buy a new PC running Win XP. Would it be feasible to run all three via wireless networking? All the recommendations I've read so far about AOL networking say I should run Win 2000 or Win XP.

Any help appreciated..
Broadband is a method of data transfer and not Operating System Specific so as long as your OS supports TCP/IP then there shouldn't be a problem.

Operating systems which support TCP/IP

UNIX, DOS, Linux, Windows (All of them), MAC

The one proviso that I will add to this is with regards to the MTU which should be set to 1400 for use with AOL (see Alnath's very informative posts above).

If your looking for a good ADSL Broadband Wireless Modem Router check out the Netgear DG834G

Netgear DG834G ADSL Wireless Modem Router 54mbps...

You'll also need some wireless network interface cards for your PC's and wireless PCMCIA cards for your laptops...

... all available on Amazon!!

Regards
Old 03-May-2004, 12:23
The-Geek

Originally posted by Stoz30
However, the AOL modem (BT Voyager) as you know only has a USB out and the Dell Router only has ethernet in.
Does anyone have any idea how I can set up a network with this kit or do I need to buy something else?

I haven't ever seen a USB to Ethernet converter which would allow you to use your existing ADSL modem with the Dell Router.

You might have to "bite the bullet" on this one and go out and buy a regular ADSL modem with ethernet out - but what the hell, you never paid for the BT Voyager modem anyway!!

Regards
Old 03-May-2004, 12:44
berksbirds

Very many thanks Geek - sure appreciate your advice and will work on that now.

Last edited by berksbirds; 03-May-2004 at 12:51.
Old 03-May-2004, 18:16
Former TS! Team

hmm was about to make this thread a sticky, cept someone's beaten me

good work Alnath
Old 04-May-2004, 23:43
Alnath

Cheers, i did it ages ago and just keep adding to it when i find owt out.
Old 06-May-2004, 01:55
Stoz30

Originally posted by The-Geek
I haven't ever seen a USB to Ethernet converter which would allow you to use your existing ADSL modem with the Dell Router.

You might have to "bite the bullet" on this one and go out and buy a regular ADSL modem with ethernet out - but what the hell, you never paid for the BT Voyager modem anyway!!

Regards
Thanks Geek, at least I now know that the two aren't compatible. One question directed at Dell & AOL though.
"Why the hell are you two companies working (selling) together when your kit is not compatible?”
Old 06-May-2004, 13:06
the_mayfairman

Thumbs up AOL thru DUN - EASY!

Um, Im not sure if this has been said already, cant seem to find it, but is very, very easy to bypass the AOL software. Simply set up a DUN connection, set the phone number to 0,38 and the username in form of someone@aol.com and put your password in. I have been using this method for the last six months and it works fine, My AOL software has been fully cleaned off and machine now runs much better, specially games.

Cheers

Peter
Old 06-May-2004, 19:31
berksbirds

Many thanks to everyone for their help.. I bought a Netgear DG834 router/ADSL modem and a WG311 PC card and now have the system working with one PC. I hope to get a PCMCIA card for my notebook shortly..

It took some setting up and I'm not altogether sure I understand why it finally leapt into life, having uninstalled and re-installed AOL twice and the software for the PC card several times. At the moment I suspect the rather poor antenna connection on the PC board. The link sometimes breaks down and jiggling the antenna restores everything. I'm a radio man and close inspection suggests to me that the inner socket of the antenna does not make a very good contact with the pin in the plug on the PC board.. Otherwise all is OK and much faster and more reliable than the old "frog" modem.

I too found that I no longer need the AOL browser. Having set up the router as per instructions in this forum I can now type any URL into IE and up comes the page! However, obviously AOL is involved somewhere!

Thanks again guys...
Old 06-May-2004, 19:59
Alnath

Default Re: AOL thru DUN - EASY!

Originally posted by the_mayfairman
Um, Im not sure if this has been said already, cant seem to find it, but is very, very easy to bypass the AOL software. Simply set up a DUN connection, set the phone number to 0,38 and the username in form of someone@aol.com and put your password in. I have been using this method for the last six months and it works fine, My AOL software has been fully cleaned off and machine now runs much better, specially games.

Cheers

Peter
That is only for ADSL punters mate
Old 27-May-2004, 19:51
Solomon

Does the previously mentioned router have a USB connection port? I have the Voyager AOL modem, which doesnt have an ethernet interface.

TIA.

[EDIT] Do I need the modem with this? Or will the router take the modems place?

Last edited by Solomon; 27-May-2004 at 22:49.
Old 23-June-2004, 02:18
Alnath

Better late than never i suppose. Yes the router (if you mean the one i linked to) has a USB port but you will not need your Voyager modem (thank god) as its a router modem.
Old 28-June-2004, 16:04
grsinva

My problem consist of that aol (9.0) will no longer let email be sent or received (especially attachments) through a D-Link business network. The computer work fine but the computer was them moved into this networ. The person who was transfferring the coputer noticed something about aol handling the network but told it no. No it doesnt work. Any help?
Old 28-June-2004, 16:36
Alnath

AOL doesnt handle the network, to be honest it doesnt even see it. are you sure he hasnt blocked it with a firewall or something
Old 30-June-2004, 11:24
Woodchippings

Default AOL DUN

So what is the consensus opinion then - Is there a way to connect to AOL via windows DUN so that I don't have to launch AOL manually everytime I want to check my email with Outlook Express? Or failing that is there a way to get AOL dialup to launch on request by Outlook Express?

Ta

Nick
Old 30-June-2004, 12:43
Alnath

If AOL is set to be your default connection when OE looks for a connection it should fire up AOL shouldnt it? I have not tried this mate so i am grabbing at straws but it should work.
Old 30-June-2004, 14:12
Woodchippings

Default AOL and OE

But i have no dial up connection set up for AOL that OE could launch...is there a way to set one up?
Old 05-July-2004, 12:49
Alnath

If you go to internet properties/connections you can select always dial my default connection that should do it.
Old 09-July-2004, 09:59
EVOLUTION

Originally posted by The-Geek

Regards

I've been told that 3rd party modems ie D-Link DSL-300T ADSL Ethernet Modem will not work with AOL is this nit the case anymore???
Old 18-July-2004, 02:06
ormus55

hi john,
just testing. very good stuff all this.
Old 27-July-2004, 18:50
deepest_purple

Hi does AOL Silver work with networking?
I have 2 PC's networked at the moment, and i'm using bt dial up, both pc's connect to the net with the dial up, with settings just configured in the modem setup etc.

the AOL site decalres
"Home networking is not available with AOL Broadband Silver."

though i think it will probably still work... though they dont support it... am i correct??

Thanks
Old 27-July-2004, 19:24
Alnath

If they say it wont work mate i wouldnt risk it.
Old 21-August-2004, 11:06
Alnath

Default Re: AOL FAQ

posted in error

Last edited by Alnath; 21-August-2004 at 11:19.
Old 21-August-2004, 15:57

Originally posted by deepest_purple
Hi does AOL Silver work with networking?
I have 2 PC's networked at the moment, and i'm using bt dial up, both pc's connect to the net with the dial up, with settings just configured in the modem setup etc.

the AOL site decalres
"Home networking is not available with AOL Broadband Silver."

though i think it will probably still work... though they dont support it... am i correct??

Thanks
I am 99.9% sure that it does work - but that they won't help you setup your network at home,. I think because it's a little cheaper they don't fancy doing support unless you pay more!

Sil

PS, welcome to TS!
Old 25-September-2004, 10:45
Alnath

Default Re: AOL FAQ

Originally posted by Alnath
How can I connect to AOL?

AOL has dropped its ‘closed shop’ approach and you can now connect to the service in anyway you wish. Analogue dial-up modem, ADSL modem and routers are now all supported.

In the AOL FAQs it says only Thomson routers are supported.

It is a play on words, all routers will work, AOL will only offer support to Thompson routers.

Do I have to still use the AOL software?

If you are a dial up user then currently yes although a dialler will be in AOL 9 where by you will not have to use the full AOL client. *edit* AOL 9 is out.

If you are a broadband user then no, you do not have to use the software. *edit* has anyone tried just setting up a DUN? There is now no reason why it would not work.

If you use a DSL modem just uninstall AOL and the modem. Get the modem drivers off the AOL installation disc, reinstall the modem, put your screen name and password in (password must be 8 or less characters) and that’s it. *edit* You can keep the software on with a modem now giving you the option of using it or not (some members of the family may like it)

If you use a router you can have the AOL client on or off your computer, it makes no difference as the router logs on when it powers up. Just set up the router according to the manufacturers instructions and that should be all that is required apart from the following settings to the MTU which must be set to 1400 in both the router and any network card that is going to connect to the service. The BT MTU utility can be downloaded from here http://www.zensupport.co.uk/tools.aspx?page=511 *edit* It has been pointed out to me that the network card can be left at its default settings and that setting the MRU to 1400 as well as the MTU on the router works perfect. (thanks Furby for that)

Once again your password must be 8 characters or less.

These settings (on my router) are in the WAN Config

Can I use any email client I like as well?

Yes providing it uses the IMAP protocol. You can find out how to use Outlook Express here http://www-stg.aolsvc.co.uk/help/Out...pressSteps.htm *edit* The outgoing mail server port must be set to 587

Can I set up a home network?

Yes, just buy a router with as many ports as you need, each PC will need its network card MTU set to 1400 to work correctly *edit* with the router MRU set to 1400 this step will not be needed. Each PC connected to the network can use the AOL software if required, it is entirely down to the user as to use it or not. One thing you might like to remember is the AOL parental controls will not work on a network for the simple reason you can just open Internet Explorer and be logged in as the master screen name. If you want the parental controls to work uninstall Internet Explorer and remove any icons that relate to it. *edit* Home networking is not available on AOL Silver.

Can I set up a home network if I have AOL Cable Broadband?

Unfortunately, AOL does not currently support home networking for cable broadband users. (sometime this year maybe)

Your post is crap, i want more info

More info can be found at AOL keyword "home networking" (dont use the quotes)

I seem to be having problems with AOL 9, Sygate personal firewall and a router, after 3 or 4 connection attempts AOL refuses to connect

There seems to be a file in AOL 9 that causes this problem. It is found in program files/common files/AOL/ACS/ATWpkt2.sys and ATWpkt2.VXD. These are something to do with the AOL protocol driver, just rename them and the problem goes away.

Tags
123, aol, belkin, broadband, bt, cards, computer, connection, dg834g, home, internet, line, make, modem, netgear, network, offer, phone, port, router, screen, security, software, speed, speedtouch, trojan, virus, voyager, wireless, zyxel