Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > Broadband Internet Access

Old 25-June-2001, 10:06
Roger T

Unhappy NTL Cable Modem Registration Nightmare

Friday 22 June 8am NTL turn up and install my cable modem, 'great' I think, I've got all day to experience the wonders of broadband.....wrong!!

I spent all day trying to register the mac address of the modem but kept getting 'perl server' error messages. This has been a known fault with NTL since 19 June and still hasn't been resolved.

Finally at about 11pm I manage to register, reboot the modem and pc but I've still got a pre-registration ip address. Ok..I leave it until the morning expecting it to be sorted overnight. Reboot...still the same problem, ring the helpline and they try to delete the mac address but can't, so it get's escalated to server support for them to address the problem.

It's now Monday morning and still it hasn't been fixed with no timescale for when it will be. I've phone the helpline numerous times over the weekend but the server support team (who you can't speak to) seem to be a law unto themselves as far as resolution times go. Either there aren't enough of them or there has been a sudden rush of tech problems!

Either way I severly p*&sed off with NTL and certainly won't be paying line rental for the non connected days.
Old 26-June-2001, 10:20
Roger T

Talking

I finally got connected at 6.30pm yesterday. After waiting on hold for 30 mins I was given the usual spiel "It's with Server Support, there's nothing we can do." I asked to speak to a supervisor, lo and behold when he came on he'd spoken to server support and it worked.

It's certainly worth the wait, blistering speeds, I was like a kid with a new toy.
Old 26-June-2001, 10:33

thanks for the info Roger

I think there's a welcome thread for you in gen chatty forum

(abt 6 threads down currently)

Sil
Old 26-June-2001, 19:39
Ivormoan

Smile

I have had similar problems as Roger last weekend lost signal tech support told me maintaince work had been carried out switching rotours etc more people connecting more to register, just left WOL 4 weeks go could be a bumpy ride all over again technology cant keep up with the people who want it and Iam no tech expert more a skilled good old fashioned worker.
Every thing is working fine now but have been told to make a note of any loss signals or slowing down dates & times as there are so called network engineers who can tweek up someting out there in side the green boxes.
Old 28-June-2001, 15:25
dipsy

I had the same problems with my ntl registration, and only got them resolved today (installation was Sunday). Each time I had to wait at least 15 minutes on the support line before being answered, then go through a ton of stuff that didn't help. Today I was on the phone for 40 minutes with a very helpful support person who got me up and running but had to use my old ntlworld details and not the new cable modem pin no. Also...why doesn't this cable thing work any faster than my dial up connection???? Cheers
Old 29-June-2001, 00:17
chris bartley

Also...why doesn't this cable thing work any faster than my dial up connection????

'cos you got the wrong one ? 64k rather than 512k

well maybe

Old 29-June-2001, 16:35
dipsy

Indeed I did get the 64k. When I called ntl to order the digital tv and broadband service, they didn't explain it would be a 64k, or that I could (for more money of course) get the high speed service. So much for the "fast, exciting internet" broadband service they advertise. Currently I appear to be running at a speed of 31kb. Go figure! If I can find a long telephone extension cord, I am going to test my old dial up connection next and compare them. Talking of which.. I have just realised I can't use my dial up now...which means I can't hook up to my work computer any more (unless I do find long telephone extension!) because I had the second phone line disconnected since I was assured I didn't need it because of broadband. Yikes.
Old 06-July-2001, 21:49
Freeloader1

Just signed up for NTL broadband via set top box. Ethernet card and cable fitted. Supposed to go to NTL registation page, but nothing happening. NTL not sure whether servers are down. Any ideas please. Card installed ok, cable ok and everything else checked out. NTL will get back to me. Am I missing something obvious.
Old 06-July-2001, 22:28
Ivormoan

I can only imagin that the signal could be to weak and the card can not finding ntl`s address because too much data is being send along the cable which may mean a engineer coming out to adjust some setting in the green box down the road also I was told the further away you live from one of these boxes the signal can drop depanding on how many people before your house are using ntl`s cable. try turning the mains off for 30sec and than switch back on to see if it picks up the right signal for broadband which I asume you have already tried.
On mine they fitted a analouge terminator and it was supposed to be a digital one that had to be changed also I use a cable modem and pc so this information may not be relevant to your set top box and the perl server was down when I tried to first register. If an enigneer does come around try and ask as many questions as possiable about ntl broadband for future use it helps a lot to understand how broadband works security connecting to a home network with a cable router etc. There are also network enginneers that can tell you more.
Recently the modem help line has been very busy which means that ntl have a lot of problems to sort out in certain areas of the country.

Tags
broadband, cable, compare, computer, connection, digital, home, internet, law, line, lost, make, modem, network, phone, registration, router, security, speed, speeds