Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > Networking

Old 31-December-2005, 18:52
shnookumshnum

Default NTL Cable Modem & Network setup

Hi all

I am fairly new to networking so please bare with me...

I have 2 PC's 1 desktop one laptop, I used to connect them both using a crossover cable so I could share files and printers.
I then got Wanadoo broadband and the cable modem connected to the Desktop PC via the PC's USB port, this meant that I could then still run the network AND share the broadband connection on the laptop.

Now my problem is this,
I now have NTL broadband via a cable modem which connects to the desktop PC's ethernet port, so now I cannot run the laptop via the desktop to share files and folders or the broadband connection.

I have heard that if I buy a 2 port HUB I can then run the desktop and laptop and share files and printers AND connect the HUB to the cable modem via the crossover cable. Is this what I need??? as I am really not sure about networks...

I know that I can buy a USB a2B cable and connect the broadband modem via USB and run the network via the crossover cable as I did when i had Wanadoo broadband, though some people have told me that connecting BB via USB can slow down the connection (1MB) and put pressure on the processor (2.4ghz) thus slowing the computer down.

Which connection method should I go for

Thanks for your help

Tags
broadband, cable, computer, connection, files, hub, laptop, modem, network, port, share, slow