Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > Networking

Old 25-November-2004, 00:24
roguefox_

Default Problem with connection dropout on Belkin modem.

Hi all....

New user here. Have got a belkin wireless adsl modem with built in router operating in the lounge.

PC with belkin wireless pc card and XP pro in bedroom not more than 15 yards away. Modem is configured with Static IP address as had problems with renewing IP addresses. When using the web based UI for modem, it does not connect to internet until I press connect but then about 5 minutes later it drops the connection.

I only find this out when I go back to the UI and it says No Connection, and the only problem I can see on that page is the Cabel/DSL is disconnected.

Any ideas. I am tearing my hair out with this one.
Equipment is Belkin f5d7630uk4a ADSL modem with built in wireless router
Using the 192.168.2.1 UI interface to set settings to static IP and DNS.

Anybody help?
Thanks
Old 25-November-2004, 13:22
Safe Sane Consensual

Default Re: Problem with connection dropout on Belkin modem.

Hi Roguefox.... welcome to The Scream!

I've a similar set up and a similar problem but learned to live with it. The system never drops out when in use but will do so when there is no one on line on either the desktop or laptop.

Are you getting disconnected even if you are active on line?

Used to have a program simulated activity and kept dial up functioning to prevent disconnections. Wonder if there is something similar for broadband.
Old 25-November-2004, 20:39
thumpert

roguefox,

Is there a setting for Idle Timeout on your modem ISP page. I have a Draytek router which allows you to set timeouts in seconds or to select Always On where it puts the timeout as -1.

Worth a look

Derek T

PS. Just checked your modem's manual and there is and idle disconnect setting. The website also has new firmware - F5D7630uk4A Firmware Update 1.08.03 9/8/2004 10.56 Mbytes

If you haven't got that yet it is probably worth updating it as well.

Last edited by thumpert; 25-November-2004 at 20:54.
Old 27-February-2005, 11:17
markdodds

Hi All,
I am using the same router and know how to fix this issue. Go into the web interface for your router, and then the connection type option under " internet WAN". You will see the page where you are able to select
PPoA etc etc. Leave this as it is and click on next. This will take you to a page where you have the option of "dial on demand". Make sure the check box next to this is clear, and that the idle time is set to 0 minutes. apply all changes and your router should stay connected to your ISP 24/7 whether it is in use or not
Old 27-February-2005, 13:14
Safe Sane Consensual

Thanks Mark for this info.

On my desktop the idle time box was indeed checked in my dial up settings I also had an idle time of five minutes allocated.

So hopefully entering your suggested alterations will eliminate the need for reconnections.

Will check the laptop (on wireless connection) to see if those settings now apply when the laptop is using the system.
Old 28-May-2010, 19:09
jasontee43

i just bought a new belkin modem with build in wireless router. But after i start using this modem the internet connections slow down

Tags
adsl, belkin, broadband, connection, dns, firmware, internet, isp, laptop, line, make, modem, router, settings, slow, web, wireless