Go Back   The Scream! > COMMUNITY FORUMS > General Chatty Stuff

Old 02-October-2001, 09:09
nocomp

Default one for you home Car mechanics!!

Hi

My wifes car seems to be having electrical problems - I wonder if anyone can shed any light on this

The red battery warning light on the cars dashboard is glowing dimly whilst driving - it gets a bit brighter if I change down gears - its also brighter when the car idles.

it also flahes in time to the cars indicators when used

I'm guessing its battery but is it a loose connection, new battery or some other part of the cars system?

Any help / advice greatly welcomed

thanks

Nocomp
Old 02-October-2001, 09:29

Hey nocomp

What car/age?

My first guess would be the alternator not charging the battery, how longs it been doing it?

I had the exact same problem on an old car I used to own, I managed to fix it, might recall how latr

Sil
Old 02-October-2001, 09:33
Safe Sane Consensual

Whilst waiting for the AA to arrive

IMHE if the battery is duff it will eventually run out on you and you won't be able to start and a loose connection on the battery circuit or battery would prevent the alternator charging the battery.

Once the car is going I think the alternator should be the source of power supply and the fact that you are not getting sufficient power through suggests an alternator problem.

Our local battery and tyre suppliers offer free battery checks that include a check on the alternator input to the battery. Maybe you have a local firm that provides a similar service.

Edit See the AA arrived whilst I was typing

Last edited by Worldlife; 02-October-2001 at 09:37.
Old 02-October-2001, 09:34
STS

Default And Soon

Hi,

Soon you will have a flat battery... The Alternator is on the way out you see. Get it sorted...get a new one or have an auto electrician check it out for you and replace or repair. Winter mornings are not far away and the burden you will place upon the battery as you leave home is going to be greater and will need to be replenished efficiently.

You Have Been Warned...

STS
Old 02-October-2001, 09:40

Yeah, I think it's the alternator, I used to have an MG which developed the problem, I fixed it by take the alternator apart an putting new brushes in

cost, couple of quid (an a lot of hassle!)

Sil
Old 02-October-2001, 10:04
Screamager

Not sure about this but I believe Halfords will check battery and alternator for free and give a discount if you hand in the old alternator when new one is fitted. This info is from 'hubby' so if its not correct them blame him

Pisces
Old 02-October-2001, 10:16
nocomp

Default thanks

Hi

its an M reg Lada Samara (no laughing please - its a good car!!)

I thought it might be the alternator - but I'm discinnecting the battery when the cars not in use so it should get home tonight

thanks for all the help and advice

nocomp
Old 02-October-2001, 10:28
STS

Default Errr !

Hi,

Don't bother ... The battery will only recieve a charge from the alternator when the engine is running. When not in use it will just have the usual load placed upon it...clock, interior lights etc etc.

STS
Old 02-October-2001, 15:10
Dantony

A possible fix that sounds daft.

Deletion refused.....is this another way to delete a posting?

Edit with the delete button.

Dantony

Last edited by Dantony; 02-October-2001 at 15:26.
Old 02-October-2001, 15:12
Dantony

A possible fix that sounds daft.
Check that the ignition bulb in the dash is not loose, look at the base contact for signs of sparking.
It happened to my Scorpio a few years ago, the battery would run out while I was driving. Luckily I got some warning because the radio would die first, once I got used to it. First time was scary, I was turning right into a country lane when the engine died, power steering was lost and I finished up in a field
I called the RAC at least six times, they all blamed it on the alternator but it was OK when they checked, so they changed leads and tightened connections etc., to no avail.
It did not happen every day, so I kept using the car until one day the radio went off on the M1, I was just able to coast in to Scratchwood Services, could not make the car park, had to go into the lorry park.
RAC got it going again but next day I took it to a back street car electrician, he kept it for a couple of days, said he couldn't find anything so I may as well come and collect and take it to a main agent, then as I was about to drive away he stopped me, said there was one thing that he had just thought of, removed the dash and showed me the little black burn mark on the centre contact of the bulb.
After that, no more trouble. Apparently the ignition bulb is part of the charging circuit but as it was only slightly loose it was a very intermittent fault.
So it is worth checking, it's obviously a very unusual event otherwise one of the six RAC men would have thought of it.
Dantony

Last edited by Dantony; 02-October-2001 at 15:21.
Old 02-October-2001, 15:18
Dantony

Default Double posting

Sorry I posted the very nearly identical message twice.
I was offered the chance to delete one but then refused.
Why was that?
Dantony
Old 03-October-2001, 00:43
jimjimmy

the 'other ' most obvious thing would be the fan belt loose or warned out .Tighten it up a bit or/and change it if it looks damaged
Jimmy
Old 03-October-2001, 08:18
seaviewuk

you ever heard of public transport ?????

now where did i put those damn car keys
Old 03-October-2001, 09:51

Dantony - I think you get a certain amount of time to delete a post, after that it won't let you. It's set like that cos otherwise ppl can delete threads (if they started them) which can be a pain.

Sil
Old 03-October-2001, 19:52
Dantony

Thanks, Sil, that makes sense.
Dantony
Old 04-October-2001, 00:44
tambranstew

should check that the earth wire from the alternator isn't damaged or look, this can cause that symptom also.
Old 04-October-2001, 12:23
Safe Sane Consensual

Default Here's another one!

Whilst we have the experts on hand!

Popped into "The Scream!" for a few minutes before trying to find the Citroen BX owners club.....

Last night my wife phoned from the car to say it was bucking up and down like a galloping horse. Suspected the hydraulic suspension was amis. Confirmed there were no warning lights showing on panel (big red triangles if hydrualic failure!). Then suggested tried the various position settings for the suspension (high- for crossing rivers to low-for scraping under small bridges). All ok. Suggested a slow drive home ( about 8 miles)

When she got home and on the subsequent journey home all was well... weird. Wonder if it was just a minute bit of debris in the works that has now cleared!

Posted originally at a drunken party to celebrate STS's supersonic postings
Old 24-June-2008, 04:31
Tripper

Default Re: one for you home Car mechanics!!

Check your voltage with acc. running voltage should be min. 14.2. sounds like a ground problem to me.
Old 24-June-2008, 22:56
Screamager

I agree with Jimmy. Easy to check the drive belt first. With modern cars (including yours) the charging system is mega simple - it's all in the alternator. Don't know how long you plan to keep your car, but a trip to the scrappy might be worthwile? (I mean to get an alternator - not to leave the car!). Bung them an extra fiver and they may even fit it for you.
Old 24-June-2008, 23:34
Screamager

As this thread is almost 7 years old, I would imagine things are sorted or car is away to the Big Scrapyard in the sky
Old 25-June-2008, 07:42
Screamager

Naa if anything like me, it takes me that long to work up to it
Old 25-June-2008, 18:20
Screamager

As this thread is almost 7 years old
Originally Posted by jacktar View Post
never spotted that. Must be some kind of record.
Old 27-June-2008, 12:31
tattaloop

A similar story to Dantony. Battery kept going flat. Hassle. It made the alarm go off. I got the garage to disable the alarm. It was an old Volvo with its plastic bits falling off, if anyone wanted to nick it they could bloody well have it. Anyway, I kept needing the jump-leads. I got the AA to start it and left it running to charge it. This happened on several occasions. I had the electrical gubbins tested but they found it was OK. I got a new battery. No use. I got a solar-powered charger that sits on the dashboard and plugs into the cigarette-lighter. Not sunny enough, apparently.

Can't remember how may times the AA came. Then, I can't remember how the AA woman found out, but anyway she said the boot light was permanently on. I hadn't even noticed I had a boot light. Took the bulb out. Sorted. Can't remember how many AA people missed that.
Old 29-June-2008, 20:22
Screamager

A similar story to Dantony. Battery kept going flat. Hassle. It made the alarm go off. I got the garage to disable the alarm. It was an old Volvo with its plastic bits falling off, if anyone wanted to nick it they could bloody well have it. Anyway, I kept needing the jump-leads. I got the AA to start it and left it running to charge it. This happened on several occasions. I had the electrical gubbins tested but they found it was OK. I got a new battery. No use. I got a solar-powered charger that sits on the dashboard and plugs into the cigarette-lighter. Not sunny enough, apparently.

Can't remember how may times the AA came. Then, I can't remember how the AA woman found out, but anyway she said the boot light was permanently on. I hadn't even noticed I had a boot light. Took the bulb out. Sorted. Can't remember how many AA people missed that.
Originally Posted by tattaloop View Post
I had that same problem! I took the bulb out too. I had to put it back in though - the mother-in-law said she couldn't see to read on long journeys.
Old 29-June-2008, 23:12
Screamager

I had that same problem! I took the bulb out too. I had to put it back in though - the mother-in-law said she couldn't see to read on long journeys.
Originally Posted by snoozy View Post
Your M.I.L. in the boot Wot a great Only jokin' same as you snooz I hope
Old 03-July-2008, 23:23
tattaloop

What about the roof-rack?
Old 04-July-2008, 12:35
Austin_KW

What about the roof-rack?
Originally Posted by tattaloop View Post
Spoils the fuel consumption
Old 10-November-2008, 20:33
gb2472

HELP!! Just bought a second hand 2000 ford focus private sale on way home smoke and sparks started belching out exhaust anyone any ideas?
Old 10-November-2008, 21:02

Sounds like someones shoved a firework up the exhaust
Old 10-November-2008, 21:11
gb2472

Red face Re: one for you home Car mechanics!!

:QUOTE=Scoobs;224757]Sounds like someones shoved a firework up the exhaust [/QUOTE]

never thought of that will def have a look

Tags
battery, car, coast, connection, design, failure, free, gears, home, law, lights, lost, make, mechanics, offer, phone, public, settings, sky, slow