Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > Hardware

Old 05-October-2001, 22:45
Trance Addict

Angry Yet more Printer trouble

Evening all.

At this precise moment in time I am pulling my hair out. 2 years ago I purchased a HP Deskjet 540 from a blind man for 25 and up until recently the printer has been working really well.

The other day I was printing some school work for my sister in Word, and after half way through printing the first page the printer stopped, the oragne LED on the load paper thing flashed, I pressed it, nothing happened. I turned the printer off, canceld the print job, turned the printer back on and tried to print again. still the same result. I followed the same steps again, this time it printed fine.

Now I need to print off my CV to send to companies and so on to help ne get a job, and half way through printing that the stupid thing did the above mentioned. I tried swtiching it on off, only this time not even that worked, it just kept getting halfway through the print job and stopping.

I've checked in the bios and printer port is set right, it's set ass EPP/ECP Parallel port. I'vtried a different cable, still the same result.

The last time I used my printer was on my old Athlon 550 back in June, I have upgraded since then and have come to the conclusion that my Thunderbird 900 is perhaps too fast or my printer.

So is it worth me ditching the printer and payin Comet a visit to pick up an Epson 480 for 39.95? Or is there something I can try with the HP first?

Anyway my system specs are

T Bird 900
Gigabyte 71XE 4 Main Board
320 Megs of Ram
Running Win 98 SE

Behemoth

Last edited by Behemoth; 05-October-2001 at 22:47.
Old 05-October-2001, 23:02

Hey Behemoth,

Not really sure what would cause the flashing LED, obvious things, have you tried a new ink cartridge?

Sil
Old 05-October-2001, 23:52
Trance Addict

That was one of the first things I checked, but the ink cartrdige I have in there already is half full (or half empty, depends if your a pecimist)

I've psent an hour or moe now trying to fget the stupid thing to work, and have noticed it has problems picking up paer in the paper tray. At this moment in time that Epson printer is looking very favorable.

Behemoth
Old 06-October-2001, 01:46
我們被注定

Have you "fanned" the paper sufficiently? I know this isn't quite the same, but I used to be a printer many moons ago. If we didn't fan the paper correctly, it wouldn't go through the printer, or five or six pages at a time would go through. Paper would be flying everywhere. Very hilarious seeing a machine spitting out paper in all directions. Ahem anyway. Just thought I'd mention it. Every time you refil the printer with paper, you must fan it, so that the air will circulate through the pages and therfore give you a trouble free feed.

"Thinking about what you might not be able to control, only wastes time and energy, till it eventually becomes your enemy."
Old 06-October-2001, 10:12

Sounds like a paper feed problem or a dodgy paper sensor, for some reason its thinking either there`s a paper jam, or the paper has "run out". That is a really old printer, so its not surprising its not working properly.

Either buy the epson, or find a print shop that will run you off a handful of copies of your CV on a nice expensive laser printer (it`ll look about 1000x better than the output of that HP anyway)
Old 06-October-2001, 23:04
robcar

I would suggest a damp cloth on the paper pickup rollers....these tend to pick up a film of paper dust over time.........a little clean works wonders

regards

rob
Old 07-October-2001, 00:06
Trance Addict

Thanks for all the help, I'm going ot have one last play with this printer (I went to Coet today and they were fresh out of the cheap Epson printers so I'm going back in on Monday)

The one thing I really hate about new printers these days are the desgins of them, what with the IMac style curves??

Behemoth
Old 07-October-2001, 11:06
ScreamAngel

Ive had this problem with my HP694 - try a new cable! It worked for me Disregard my comments - just re-read the origonal post - what do I know????

Last edited by Stalybridgelass; 07-October-2001 at 11:09.
Old 07-October-2001, 11:14
Trance Addict

New cable, right will try that, I'll try anything once

Behemoth

Last edited by Behemoth; 07-October-2001 at 11:17.
Old 11-October-2001, 21:04
ScreamAngel

Just curious...did it work?
Old 11-October-2001, 21:13
tambranstew

Check that the print queue on the computer has cleared, try reinstalling the drivers!

Sounds stupid but I used to get exactly the same problem with my old HP895cxi.

It would do a similar thing and always if you printed a really big .BMP file embedded in a document.

Then for some reason it would refuse to clear the print Queue of that particular document so each time the printer started it would try and put through the image again and give up.

Would also this this regular using the USB connection rather than a parallel connection.

Worth a go, nothing lost and nothing gained by trying to reinstall the HP drivers from the install disk.

REgards

STew
Old 15-October-2001, 23:17
Trance Addict

Changing the cable didn't work I'm affraid in the end I just gave up on it.

However over the week end Dad was in Comet and found they were selling off Epson Stylus color 580's (display mmodels) for 40, h got the price knocked down by a tenner for mebecause it didn't come with any software all the special paper or inks, I had some inks homew here anyway so that wasn't much of a problem andI got the drivers off Epson's site.

Got my self a nice new printer now. Funny though that the HP Deskjet 540 is extremley happy on my sister's K62 500, computers are funny old beasts.

Behemoth

Tags
cable, car, comet, computer, connection, free, happy, lost, port, shop, software