Go Back   The Scream! > COMMUNITY FORUMS > General Chatty Stuff

Old 12-January-2009, 14:58
Screaming net veteran

Default prescription charges in england scotland and wales?

We are supposed to pay 7 each prescription in England but I gather in Scotland and Wales it is less or free.

I'm wondering if anyone knows whether if you went to a chemist or pharmacy in Wales or Scotland would you have to pay for the prescriptions?

Can anyone please let me know?

Perhaps it might even be possible to post the prescriptions too?
Old 12-January-2009, 18:50

Thumbs down Re: prescription charges in england scotland and wales?

Scotland free from 2011 and NI from 2010. Wales is already free I believe.

This was talked about some time last year on the radio (Jeremy Vine Radio2 12-2 I expect).
I THINK the answer as to whether you are charged is dependant on your address (which must be printed on the prescription).

Have a Google.
Old 13-January-2009, 10:31
Screamager

Default Re: prescription charges in england scotland and wales?

It's a disgrace. We are supposed to be a "United Kingdom". There should be a uniform approach for all.
Old 13-January-2009, 13:50

Angry Re: prescription charges in england scotland and wales?

Some chance.

Do you realise that HMG provides 1500 more per person to Scotland than the rest of the UK.
Oh, Her Majesty's Government.
Old 13-January-2009, 19:32
Screamager

Doesn't surprise me. We also give free health care to any Tom, Dick or Harry who enters the country. Supposed to be National Health, not International Health. Dont mind for people who come here to live, just not the health tourists.
Old 13-January-2009, 20:45

Angry Re: prescription charges in england scotland and wales?

Now I'm on my 'high horse'.

We have friends who have lived in Africa for around 30 years and their parents for 40+ years.

The parents EXPECTED and were given council accommodation as well as other assistance! The friends, while they are renting, of course qualify for free NHS treatment!

Where (and when) will it end?
Old 13-January-2009, 23:14
Screamager

Don't get me started gem!!
Old 14-January-2009, 02:51
Screamager

when the pot is empty,then it will be too late?all are welcome,this is the land of milk & honey,(without any doubt) what we need is a fresh political party as all 3 mainstream don't give a dam about anyone apart from their selves,and their fat cat wages and 2 houses ect ect,we are just the fools who vote for them,none are worth my vote
Old 20-January-2009, 23:31
Screaming net veteran

Unfortunately whoever we vote in nothing particularly changes.

I do however think Mr Brown is one of the worst prime ministers we've ever had. He makes Maggie Thatcher look humble.

The postcode healthcare lottery doesn't seem to apply to health tourists. I hear people in Denmark have flown in to have NHS treatment because it's free. How true this is I don't know.
What I do know is that illegal immigrants aren't just coming to the UK for higher wages but to get treatment for illnesses that they would die of back home either because of inability to pay or because they don't have the resources. In a fair world this should be right but we have paid and built up this system and when we need things like cheap prescriptions it's the free treatment dished out to foreigners that has hit ordinary working people who pay for all this.

Now I know we're all told the average wage is supposed to be 23,000 per year but most of the people I know don't get half that. Perhaps I'm living in the wrong place and you know you read how this star or celebrity is on X million a year. I don't know but if you work on the minimum wage basis of 5.73 take out NI and tax etc.
Council tax, mortgage or rent payments.
Inflation is supposed to have dropped the prices in the shops where I live seem to increase week on week and most of don't believe the official statistics, quantitative easing is where the government is printing more paper money than they've got to cover it hence making your pound worth progressively less. Especially when you compare with the Euro and the US dollar.

If you find a legal way of protecting your money or assets they make a law to stop you.
I thought the prescription thing may have been legal to do but you know Gordon (Dick Turpin) Brown and co will stop if they can unless you say you're a muslim non domiciled resident.
Old 20-January-2009, 23:51
Screaming net veteran

You're right about the council accommodation too.

Junkies, alkys unmarried schoolgirl mothers, refugees take up the bulk of applications.
A woman I personally know went to the local council offices to queue up for an application, the girls behind the desk barrier were chuckling because she was the ONLY white english applicant - the rest were "refugees" from Pakistan, Somalia, Afghanistan, you know what I mean! No doubt this will evoke the usual cobblers about racism but sincerely this is absolutely true. No wonder the public are fed up with it.

At one time we had plenty of spare housing but the tsunami of "refugees" has made it very hard to get anything.
BTW the lady concerned above was told that unless she got more points she "would spend the rest of her natural" waiting for a council flat. - She is 36 years old and a nurse at a nursing home.
When asked what could help get more points the council adviser said "if you are on income support" you get more points. Again if she became pregnant another pack of points.

I'll wager if she had been a Somalia alcoholic AIDs ridden "refugee" too then she would be home and dry.

What can you say ... I wonder what Mr Brown and co verdict on that is.

Tags
compare, free, google, gordon, health, home, international, law, public