Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > PC Security

Old 11-September-2010, 14:38
ladybird

Question Do I really NEED to remove Avira?

Hi you guys.

been snooping around here trying to find a problem like mine that's already been answered but it seems nobody makes my mistakes.

Until recently I've been using Avira 10 free a/v but after using System Restore in Win XP error message CCPLGXML said 'unable to find file....'. I needed to protect my pc so immediately installed AVG 9 free, successfully, I'm very happy to say.

Avira website http://www.avira.com/en/support/kbdetails.php?id=512 says it can now only be uninstalled in Safe Mode by removing files with Avira or .../AntiVir/....

My question is: In Safe Mode, will I be able to distinguish between Avira and AVG files? Will AVG have a file '..../AntiVir/....' ?

I'm tempted to leave well alone but 1) Avira is hogging a lot of space and 2) there should be only one a/v in place.

Thx for any advice offered,

ladybird
Old 11-September-2010, 15:30
Screamager

Default Re: Do I really NEED to remove Avira?

Hiya spotty.

Did you read the manual uninstallation linked to that page you posted ??

It states the folder name in the uninstall instructions, it may be named one or the other I assume, depending on what flavour of Avira was installed and it will be located in the Program Files folder.

Then you go to the second part for Documents and Settings, blah,blah and delete the same named folder/s.

Note: If you cant see the Application Data folder in your profile folder, there are instructions there on how to unhide it.

Finally, you run the Registry cleaner (Download it before doing the above, so you already have it to hand) they offer there and then reboot the PC for a refresh.

AVG willl have its own folder/s, named either AVG or Grisoft, so you wont get them confused with the names Antivir/Avira.
Old 11-September-2010, 16:58
ladybird

Hi JB.....spotty I may be but I'm still a nice little red ladybird, not one of those aggressive brown kinds.

Thx for posting your advice.

Ok, on taking a look at the zipped Avira reg Cleaner (ARC), I found 6 folders in all. (Read Me seems to be just for Vista; I've got XP and a headache )

How do I use ARC once I'm in Safe Mode and have followed instructions thus far? Do I merely run it?

ladybird
Old 11-September-2010, 18:42
Screamager

Hi JB.....spotty I may be but I'm still a nice little red ladybird, not one of those aggressive brown kinds.
Originally Posted by ladybird View Post
I was just checking, you might have transmuted into some horrible meat fly or something, heha.

You mean 6 files in the reg cleaner zip, not folders ?

That Reg Cleaner will work in XP, I am running Win2K and it works OK.

Hold the horses on that reg cleaner, I just ran it and it wants to delete legitimate files aswell. It seems anything with antivir in it, is a target.

You need to extract the zip file to its own folder, say on the Desktop for ease of location. << Do this before you go into Safe Mode.

Once you have done that and are in Safe Mode, go into that folder and double click on the Regcleaner.exe file. Click on the Scan for Keys button and wait till its finished scanning. Now if you look in the folder, there will be a log file. If you post the contents of that log back here in a reply, I can look at it and see what needs to be ticked for deletion. I had 99 entries in mine.

If you follow what they are telling you on that uninstall page, you will probably end up in a bigger mess than when you started, lol.

So, if you first delete the folder/s mentioned in part 1 & 2 in Safe Mode, then run the reg cleaner, but DO NOT delete anything at this point until I have read the log and posted back what needs ticking.

PS: You can boot into Safe Mode with Networking, instead of normal Safe Mode, that will/should give you internet access, so you can post back the log to here, via your browser whilst in there. If not, just restart in Normal mode and post back the log.
Old 19-September-2010, 14:39
ladybird

Hi JB.....thx for all the advice and for your time.

Well, I'm so worried about my computer. First of all, I was worried about the security aspect of posting the Reg Cleaner log so I merely took a look in Safe Mode and can't recall how I exited but suspect I just switched off the pc. Have'nt been using this home computer for a few days and on Startup today there is a BLACK screen covering most of the background screen pic. System Restore did not restore the blue screen. Googling the problem turned up the comment " never use Safe Mode as it plays havoc with your settings"

With much difficulty and great slowness I've managed to force my way online but everything is strange eg email website opens without a log-in window; printer is producing odd layout. Message from Windows saying " currently increasing the size of your virtual memory paging file". Could this be the problem? Maybe I'm still in SM?

do hope the solution is simple. I've had enough and will leave the darn Avira on my pc.
Old 19-September-2010, 16:09
Screamager

Hiya.

Thought you had flown south for the winter.

My god woman, what have you done.

You should have asked about the log not being posted here and I would have said to PM it to me if you felt unsecure about it.

When you are in safe mode, the shutdown/restart process is exactly the same as in normal mode from Start > Shutdown and/or Restart.

Turning off the PC directly, via the switch isnt good, lol, you can cause damage to the PC sometimes, as is the case now from what I can tell.

The only thing Safe Mode might change is the Screen resolution, due to it using basic video drivers. Which is simple to change back to the correct 32 bit colours and screen size, via a Right click on the Desktop > select Properties, then click on the > Settings tab. At the bottom of that window you should see the Colour and Screen resolution settings, click the arrow next to the colour settings and choose 32 bit colours, on the screen resolution, move the slider to 1024 x 768, for example, if its too small, slide it to the left for a bigger screen, say 800 x 600, etc. Click Apply, then you have the choice via a 15 second timer to keep it, by pressing YES or pressing NO to return it back to what it was originally.

From the description of the black screen covering most of the background, you may have corrupted the video driver when you turned off the PC without shutting it down correctly. So the above settings may or may not work.

System Restore will not restore corrupt drivers and/or files.

I would keep away from System Restore for now, that is what started this whole mess in the first place, lol.

When you are in Safe Mode, it displays Safe Mode in the four corners of the screen.

From the description of everything you now have wrong with the PC, it may not be a simple solution unfortunately, so it may take a while. PS. Can I come over for Christmas and New Years day dinner ?

The virtual memory thing may be just an adjustment needed in the System Properties settings, it may have been altered/corrupted when the PC was switched off, so we will go into that later.

How much space is there left on the C drive ? Is it nearly full. Open My Computer and look at the C drive, it should state what the total is and what is free space. You may need to set the View on the toolbar in there to Details for you to the the C drive capacity.

Try the screen resolution settings first and then check the amount of space left on the C drive, post back any screen improvement/C drive amount.

PS. I bet that JackTar geezer will be poking his nose in shortly. heha.
Old 19-September-2010, 17:12
ladybird

you bugg*r, you !!!

I was quaking in my shoes.......and my pants!! .......especially since I noticed I wasn't in SM at all.

Oddly enough I can now change back and forth between resolutions and the screen remains just fine. Email sign-in window is back as well. Wow, so thrilling!! Gotta check the printer now. What the hell caused all that?

Thank you JR.......will certainly turn to you for all future help ........go change your pants!!

PS free space is 29.4GB of 74.4GB

Last edited by ladybird; 19-September-2010 at 17:22.
Old 19-September-2010, 17:54
Screamager

Hiya.

Thank god for that, I thought I would have to write at least 5 more novels to fix this, heha.

Could have been just a glitch in the system from the sudden shutdown or maybe the partially corrupt video driver was playing havoc with the system. Some times closing the PC down correctly and a fresh boot up clears the problem.

So all is back to normality as far as it goes. Gulp!

Drive space is OK.

No more virtual memory page file popups ?

Thank you JR.......will certainly turn to you for all future help ........go change your pants!!
Originally Posted by ladybird View Post
At least you got my initials correct this time, heha.

PS. You still want to get rid of Avira ??
Old 19-September-2010, 20:28
ladybird

PS. You still want to get rid of Avira ??
Originally Posted by JohnnyReb51 View Post
No way; neither of us could endure the stress. I'm staying a happy bunny tonight, thank you very much JR51.
Old 19-September-2010, 21:00
Screamager

PS. I bet that JackTar geezer will be poking his nose in shortly. heha.
An what makes you think that then JR
OK
OK
Yep was lurkin' on another of your definative posts.
Well done that man

regards
JT
Old 19-September-2010, 21:04
Screamager

Hiya.

OK no probs, till the next time then.
Old 19-September-2010, 21:12
Screamager

Thumbs up Re: Do I really NEED to remove Avira?

JT, I know you like the back of my hand, lol.

Where there is trouble, you'll be watching from the crowd with baited breath.

Cheers.
Old 19-September-2010, 21:15
Screamager

JT, I know you like the back of my hand, lol.
What do mean ? I am all wrinkled and hairy, well thats nice
Old 19-September-2010, 21:30
Screamager

Exactly, heha

Tags
419, christmas, computer, email, files, free, googling, happy, home, internet, line, offer, online, screen, security, settings, slow, windows