Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > General Software

Old 24-October-2010, 09:14
Unpeeled

Default Connection OK - Cannot Display Webpage?

Morning All,

I write from my new, dinky and 'kin awful new notepad because ye olde, faithful, steam-driven laptop has a new problem.

Problem being that the connection report is 'connected, strength excellent' and it still refuses to load any web page.

I can still stream Spotify, so the connection is there, but clicking any webpage results in a long wait (website found, waiting reply) before the white screen 'Internet Explorer cannot open this webpage' message is displayed.

I have already restored to an earlier restore point and removed the Advanced System Care program (I updated it immediately prior to the onset of this problem) and re-booted repeatedly. Nothing doing.

Appreciate any advice on how to resolve the problem.

Cheers,

Shane
@ Unpeeled
Old 24-October-2010, 15:13
Screamager

Thumbs up Re: Connection OK - Cannot Display Webpage?

Hiya.

Sounds like a DNS or possibly a winsock problem.

The connection strength is only between your laptop and the router, from there on its under the routers control settings. Its the data in and out from the Laptop to the Router and vise versa that is the problem.

Have you checked the Laptop is recieving an IP address and DNS server address that corresponds to your Routers settings, etc.

Are you sure your on your own wireless network and not someone elses, lol.

Have you tried connecting the Laptop with an ethernet cable directly to the router, etc.

Have you checked your Firewall/other isnt blocking port 80 ?

Other suggestions...

Go to Internet Options and click on the Connections tab, then click the Lan Settings button, uncheck all boxes in there, click Apply and OK out. Might need a reboot.

Try a Winsock reset....

Go to Start > Run and type in cmd OK it.

In the DOS window, type in netsh winsock reset press Enter.

Restart the Laptop.

or...

A little winsock fix tool.....

From memory, you run the app and it will ask to backup the present settings, you OK that and then it will renew the settings and ask to restart the PC/Laptop when its completed....

http://majorgeeks.com/WinSock_XP_Fix_d4372.html
Old 24-October-2010, 16:59
Unpeeled

Default Re: Connection OK - Cannot Display Webpage?

Afternoon Mr Reb,

All the 'Lan' boxes were already unchecked and you will be totally unamazed to learn that I don't know how to get to 'Memory' let alone do anything from it, but just going to 'Lan' and doing bugger all appears to have done the trick, for now.

Again, thank you. The Scream is an amazing resource that's an absolute life saver to for people who are;

Too skint to pay.
Too stupid to diy.
Smart enough to find and bookmark The Scream.

Cheers,

Shane
@ Unpeeled
Old 24-October-2010, 17:17
Screamager

Default Re: Connection OK - Cannot Display Webpage?

Afternoon Mr Reb,

All the 'Lan' boxes were already unchecked and you will be totally unamazed to learn that I don't know how to get to 'Memory' let alone do anything from it, but just going to 'Lan' and doing bugger all appears to have done the trick, for now.

Again, thank you. The Scream is an amazing resource that's an absolute life saver to for people who are;

Too skint to pay.
Too stupid to diy.
Smart enough to find and bookmark The Scream.

Cheers,

Shane
@ Unpeeled
Originally Posted by Unpeeled View Post

Lol.

From memory means from my personal experience of using the winsock fix, not running it from PC memory, etc, if thats what you are implying.

Glad that little trip to the Lan settings did something, even though it was a fluke, heha

Too skint to pay. Check.
Too stupid to diy. Had my creative moments.
Smart enough to find and bookmark The Scream. TS is my home page.

Tags
blocking, cable, connection, dns, home, internet, laptop, network, port, router, screen, settings, web, wireless