Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > Hardware

Old 28-August-2011, 04:09
nickste5

Default hdmi out on agp Graphics card

any suggestions as to which is a good one to get. want to coonect opc to tv.
using the d-sub at the moment, but tv only reconises 800 x 600 through the d-sub connection

if i connected hdmi to the tv, could i then see the bios on the tv.

dont want to spend alot one one.

Many,

Nick
Old 28-August-2011, 06:41

Default Re: hdmi out on agp Graphics card

If you have a DVI socket you can get a cable with a DVI plug at one end and a HDMI socket at the other.

I have my PC connected to the TV via the 2nd DVI socket on my graphics card and (on mine at least) the BIOS shows up on it (also on my normal monitor which is connected to the 1st DVI socket). I sorted this out before realising that my graphics card also has a HDMI socket (doh).

I think you'll be a bit limited if you need an AGP card - I could only find one (not particularly great) card when I looked - it did have DVI though.

Here's an example of a cable: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2m-sc...28cdldv-302%29
Old 29-August-2011, 01:46
nickste5

ah ok dvi to hdmi didnt think of that. didnt think that dvi was a hd connection. My tv supports upto 1080i where as 1080p is full hd. If i connected the pc from dvi to hdmi that would work then. I would then not need a gpu with hdmi out?

nick
Old 29-August-2011, 06:57

My TV is 1080p, but it should also work on 1080i.

One, slight, problem with using DVI is that it won't carry the audio signal (which HDMI would). I've got around that by using a spaghetti-like jumble of cables to split the outputs from my soundcard between my PC speakers and my AV amp.

Another problem (which I probably would also have had if I'd used the HDMI output) was that my PC monitor has a 16:10 ratio while my TV is 16:9 which meant that when I cloned the video (the TV is basically monitor 2) the picture didn't quite fit - messing around with the settings on the TV (I seem to recall that "overscan" came into it) sorted that out though.
Old 29-August-2011, 10:07
nickste5

I guess the reason for wanting a gpu with a hdmi output was because i was thinking that it could get a better resolution than what the d-sub could support. But saying that i would like to view my bios through the tv as i have no other monitor available to use. Setting bios setting are essential.

Ive looked through my tv manual http://www.toshiba-om.net/LCD/PDF/En...h-Specific.pdf and could see that through the d-sub it supports 640 x 480 vga.

would that be the resolution that the bios uses and how would i get a dvi to hdmi from the pc to get this resolution.

Would it be that if i did manage to see the bios the rest of the pc would be that resolution of the bios?
Old 29-August-2011, 12:06

You shouldn't need to change the resolution to see the BIOS. As I understand it your PC will start off at 640x480 while going through POST (and on the BIOS screens), and only switch to whatever resolution you've set in Windows once everything has booted up.

It might depend on your hardware though: my previous (now backup) PC, using the same monitor and TV, would only display the POST/BIOS on the monitor, while my current PC displays them on both. It never really bothered me enough to investigate whether changing settings/swapping ports might make a difference so I can't help there.
Old 01-September-2011, 01:37
nickste5

yeah my tv aint gonna do it, thought as musch though.

would u say i would even need a dvi connection if the d-sub is ok with the
picture?

nick
Old 01-September-2011, 03:49

It's up to you - if what you've got works and you're happy with it then stick with that.

I think a DVI connector would, in theory, give a better picture - in practice there probably wouldn't be much difference.
Old 01-September-2011, 08:25
nickste5

well thanks for the help, appriciated.
its an oldish pc any way, dont think its worth the money spending
money for a new card. would of have to buy a card with dvi out any way

thanks any way,

nick.

Tags
audio, cable, car, connection, happy, hdmi, make, settings, windows