Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > AOL

Old 07-June-2010, 19:01
benni68

Default new modemroute shows no DSL connection..

Hi,

I just bought a new modemrouter (Netgear N300 ADSL 2+)

It said easy to install on the box...

I followed the instruction of the Wizard, but every time I come to the point where the DSL light should lit nothing happens, nothing turns green. The green light for Wireless is OK.

I connected the N300 via Ethernetcable to the computer and this seems fine (green light on the computer that a cable is plugged in)

Before I used a Speedtouch from AOL which worked without problems (and still is), but as my son now wanted to go wireless too in his room and the range of the speedtouch is not that good, I bought the N300.

With the Speedtouch I had to change the IPv4 from automatic to manual to connect to the net.

System: Win7 Home Premium 64bit

Hope you can help me to connect the new router - thanks in advance. If I have forgot something you need to know to locate the prob then please ask

cu Peter
Old 08-June-2010, 18:27

Default Re: new modemroute shows no DSL connection..

router should have a few different lights, one that should come on green as soon as you connect it up to the phoneline (that shows you have adsl installed and the router is able to sync with the local telephone exchange)

where / how are you plugging in the new modem/router, presume you have unplugged the previous one and are using the same plugs etc, only one router can be plugged into the adsl system at once
Old 08-June-2010, 21:06
benni68

Hi,
yepp, the power button turns straight green - next the one where the ethernet-cable is connected and then the wireless light.
Regarding to the instruction the DSL light should light constantly green next.

But nothing turns green or red on mine.

Yes, the old one is unplugged and the DSL cable is plugged in the same plug. I even used the same DSL cable as on the old router.

I bought this router last week in Germany - can that be a reason? Normally they should work in every country....
Old 08-June-2010, 21:17

it seems like it is not seeing the adsl connection, perhaps try using the adsl cable that came with the new router instead of using the adsl cable from existing router

I can't think it will make much difference but worth a go

no idea if adsl is different in germany, you would expect not but...
Old 08-June-2010, 21:20
benni68

cant use the german cable - it doesnt fit in the UK DSL plug, it's too big.
Old 08-June-2010, 22:10

humm, if it's a different plug perhaps the adsl setup in germany is also different

might be worth checking with Netgear support, they might know if it will work here

one other thought, again should likely not help but try pressing the reset button on the router, never know

Tags
adsl, aol, cable, computer, connection, home, lights, make, modem, netgear, router, speed, speedtouch, wireless