Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > AOL

Old 13-February-2009, 14:18
dawnandallan

Default Re: AOL customers + speed problems

Being an AOL Broadband customer I too suffer with the download speed issue. I am not particulary interested in the technical vagueries contributing to this. Why is broadband treated differently to other products, if we pay for something we expect it to work. It is clear that AOL make no attempt to address the speed issue or if they do they don't communicate this to their Customers.
As a matter of interest I did check the download speed which varied between 114 kbps and 500 kps. My original contract was the silver package 1mb unlimited later upgraded to 2mb. Armed with this information and heading the advise from a web page that you have to be persistent I contacted AOL in search of the elusive MAC. My first contact was in India but he quickly relinquished his responsibilty when confronted with the repeated demand for an MAC number. I was redirected to Ireland. A subsequent e-mail identified my contact as KrissteenSuk. Sticking to my bull headed approach of getting a MAC number at all cost I rebuffed her freindly banter and her attempts to defelect the blame from AOL, "Its the exchange"-"Is someone else using your connection" etc etc etc ...............
At last a MAC number was generated and sent to my e-mail address. Her parting shot was the offer of £27.00 credit, 8 meg unlimited, free local and national calls 24/7, and all for £15.99 per month no contract with the talk. Very attractive but they could'nt or would'nt do the 2 meg so what chance this would be better ? I have this offer on e-mail.
I have since carried out a couple of other checks. If I want to get up at 3.00 in the morning I can have 2 meg access. My BT exchange has max 6.5 meg and is not over untilised.
Old 13-February-2009, 15:04
Chris UK

Urgh, today my DNS is completely screwed. This is the only website I can get on. AOL are pathetic.
Old 13-February-2009, 20:39
xboxgaz

I'm ringing AoHell tomorrow and getting my Mac code and cancelling my direct debit.

Couldn't get online all night last night and into today and my wife was unable to complete the risk assessments for her school trip due to the program requiring a web connection.

Since signing up to the new package I have lost internet connection now about 15 times and for 3 weeks in the end of October I could not achieve a speed above 20kbps!!!

My iPhone uses 3g on o2, I downloaded broadband speed checker for it and 3g download is 1997kbps or 2 meg!!!

Going to sign up with either BT broadband or o2 broadband me thinks!!
Old 03-March-2009, 08:36
salandkev

Thumbs down Re: AOL customers + speed problems

im fed up playing games with other people around the world and then lose connection...whats up with you lot..(aol)...do you want every one to leave before you do anything about it..
Old 16-October-2009, 16:02
mslrabbit

Angry Re: AOL customers + speed problems

Tested 8 times over 2 days and got and average of 2 meg, not bad for paying £30 for 8Mg
Old 17-October-2009, 11:53
martswain

Why are you paying so much?

I am getting AOL Talk Unlimited and 8 Mb for £12.99.

I just got it reduced from £15.99 and received a new router for staying for another 12 months!

I have been with AOL for 12 years, they DO seem keen to keep you if call.

http://www.aolbroadband.co.uk/bundle...itedSummer.jsp

Call 0800 954 0306

Last edited by martswain; 17-October-2009 at 11:59. Reason: Further Info
Old 24-November-2009, 07:19

anybody that is not with aol i just have one thing to say :for the love of god dont sign up , i recently was offered 8 meg broadband for even less than i was paying for a 512kbs broadband service and instead of improving upon my download speeds they have infact droped substantialy , aol i ripping people off by offering a download speed in a legal contract then not liveing up to its expectations witch i belive should be against the law .
Old 24-February-2010, 13:43
speed stops downloads

My speed should be 8mps and is never above 1.5 so what is happening , i have an old netgear modem and an acer laptop which i use wirelessly, it keeps losing contact when downloading,
tomtom update won't operate and leaves me frustrated
how do i get aol to sort this out please
Old 24-February-2010, 17:06
Austin_KW

My speed should be 8mps and is never above 1.5 so what is happening , i have an old netgear modem and an acer laptop which i use wirelessly, it keeps losing contact when downloading,
tomtom update won't operate and leaves me frustrated
how do i get aol to sort this out please
Originally Posted by speed stops downloads View Post
Why do you think that your speed should be 8Mbs? I ssume that this is an " up to" 8M connection. The actual speed would depend on your line quality, distance from the exchange etc.

Wirelessly, This is your problem. Nothing to do with your ISP. Connection stability depends on local interference in your house, your channel selection, your neighbours wireless connection etc.

Not sure about the tomtom connection. It may be a fragmentation issue. Try changing your mtu to 1400. Look on your router under WAN/Internet or DSL setup pages.
Old 25-March-2010, 15:04
mikecity

I have had ongoing inference with my AOL connection, but as the previous posted stated, this may not have anything to do with AOL specifically.
Old 04-April-2010, 15:46
nandj

I've been with AOL for about 6 years geneally found them adequate. I've used their help line a lot as I'm in a bad reception area but trying to get the best speed I can. Their Indian tech guys are polite and helpful but I find they are not always easy to understand - partly my hearing perhaps. Up until last month I'd finally got it sussed. (netgear router, new filters, hard wired ethernet cables from master phone socket etc). However last few weeks my connection, which can still get up to 3.7 very early in the mornings, has dropped like a stone and is very spikey. Now get 0.4 - 0.8 at most during late afternoon or evening. My wife plays WoW and gets frequently disconnected or very slow updates. Rang AOL but apart from changing a line in my router data thay were no help. Neighbours report no real change or grief on their connection - they aren't on AOL. Is it an AOL problem or could BT be effecting non BT lines to get people to change? A speedchecker reported a BT user test in my area this month of 6.3 at peak time so it can be done.
I get my phone line from Pipex so I'm passed from pillar to post by the 3 companies involved.
Any suggestions greatfully received
Old 07-April-2010, 19:55
moogy675

Ive been with aol since dial up and my speeds have been pretty good, but these last few weeks ive gone from 6-7 meg to 0.5 meg. Ive found this site since googling around to see if anybody else was having problems. Im on 8 meg and my line can handle 10, i dunno whether just to jack aol in.
Old 10-April-2010, 20:37
Huambo81a

Hi, first post.

Aol are an absolute nightmare. I pay for "up to" 8mb, and off peak i get around 4.5mb which is fine. At peak times im getting no more than 80-120kbps.

I have rang them more times than i care to remember, i have gone through the "test your line with speedtester.bt.com" shenanigans two or three times. Each time after i finally get through to LVL 2 tech support, they close the fault and i have to start again.

I really dont know what to do, my local exchange isnt brilliant and i have no idea if changing to a different isp will improve things. The only thing i know is that the call centres in India have NO CLUE what they are talking about, they wouldnt know a 'contention ratio' if it smacked them in the face.

I am so fed up, its 2010 for gods sake . . .where is this internet revolution!!

Any advice, because AOL certainly have none.
Old 10-April-2010, 21:22

you need to work out if it's a problem between you and the exchange or between the ISP and the i'net

if you can login to your router and root about a bit, there's a screen which says something about SNR and connection speed and such, keep and eye on that and see if it changes between off peak and peak times, .that information tells you about the quality of the connection between you router and the local exchange
Old 11-April-2010, 17:19
Huambo81a

Thanks Silver.

Not 100% sure if this is what you meant but here goes:

Modem
ADSL Firmware Version 6.01.00.12
Modem Status Connected
DownStream Connection Speed 4704 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 416 kbps
VPI 0
VCI 38

The Downstream connection speed is always around that speed. I have had a BT engineer out to my house, who changed the phone sockets and installed a specific ADSL only port which meant i could remove the filters. It has made no difference at all.

Aol seem to be particularly bad recently, i dream of the day when i can actually watch a Youtube video.
Old 11-April-2010, 18:21

right - these 2

DownStream Connection Speed 4704 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 416 kbps
are of interest, generally it's possible for the router to disconnect and reconnect throughout a day and so that value can change (try checking at several times of day, especially when you are seeing slowdown of your connection)

the other thing to find is 'SNR' - it should be there somewhere, downstream SNR / upstream SNR - that will also indicate line quality
Old 15-April-2010, 23:41
XXDeanoXX

Ok i have been with AOL for years and have not really had many connection problems, for about a year i always had around 8.7mbits download and 0.5mbits upload, but for a month now I have only had :

DownStream Connection Speed 576 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 288 kbps

I have rang up several times to first level support, but they always blamed old filters, long cables etc etc which i have been using for about year without any problems. However i changed them but no speed difference. I finally did get through second level support to get them to check my line, they said there was a problem between them and BT and said it would be around hours or days to fix it, but i dont think they will, i have been waiting for about a week. I have also been randomly disconnected lately aswell

Am seriously thinking of leaving them, anyone else got these problems?
Old 23-April-2010, 05:52
BILLYMASH

I have recently noticed very erratic speeds using AOL 9.1. I now use internet explorer with google as my home page. For some reason the speed is much faster and less erratic. I suggest others giving it a go. I mentioned this to AOL a few years ago but they could not explain it. Thought it would have been sorted with 9.1 but NO.
Old 23-May-2010, 12:14
Ryanfan

I signed up for unlimited downloads and a speed of up to 8mbs. I live in a rural area and our line, when tested by BT can only deliver speeds of up to 2 - 3 mbs. If only!!!!!! Evenings see speeds lower than dial up. Contacted AOL (in Calcutta!!!) who suggested re wiring from the master socket. (slight improvement but not much) Got a "Broadband Accelerator" from BT, again a slight improvement. Have now gone wireless. Absolute nightmare trying to set it up - despite AOL suggesting Netgear, had to do it without AOL. So far so good, speeds are improving, actually got over 2mbs briefly.........
Despite all the criticisms about AOL I honestly don't believe that they are any better or worse than other ISP's (I'm stuck for over a year on a fixed contract with them)
Old 25-May-2010, 14:57
Huambo81a

Hi, first post.

Aol are an absolute nightmare. I pay for "up to" 8mb, and off peak i get around 4.5mb which is fine. At peak times im getting no more than 80-120kbps.

I have rang them more times than i care to remember, i have gone through the "test your line with speedtester.bt.com" shenanigans two or three times. Each time after i finally get through to LVL 2 tech support, they close the fault and i have to start again.

I really dont know what to do, my local exchange isnt brilliant and i have no idea if changing to a different isp will improve things. The only thing i know is that the call centres in India have NO CLUE what they are talking about, they wouldnt know a 'contention ratio' if it smacked them in the face.

I am so fed up, its 2010 for gods sake . . .where is this internet revolution!!

Any advice, because AOL certainly have none.
Originally Posted by Huambo81a View Post
just thought I would let you guys know. I changed from AOL to BT. I am now getting 4.3 meg at all times, regardless of peak or not.

It seems AOL were not renting enough bandwidth to provide my area. Very happy with BT.
Old 25-May-2010, 18:10
martynston

Ok i have been with AOL for years and have not really had many connection problems, for about a year i always had around 8.7mbits download and 0.5mbits upload, but for a month now I have only had :

DownStream Connection Speed 576 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 288 kbps

I have rang up several times to first level support, but they always blamed old filters, long cables etc etc which i have been using for about year without any problems. However i changed them but no speed difference. I finally did get through second level support to get them to check my line, they said there was a problem between them and BT and said it would be around hours or days to fix it, but i dont think they will, i have been waiting for about a week. I have also been randomly disconnected lately aswell

Am seriously thinking of leaving them, anyone else got these problems?
Originally Posted by XXDeanoXX View Post
I have almost had the identical problem as you. They have sent me around the swings and roundabouts and have wound up exactly where I started. I have been getting less than 0.5 meg at peak times. It does fluctuate wildly about 7am in the morning it starts at nearly 7meg but by 17.30hrs it has disappeared to 0.5meg. This is very frustrating. I have now fitted a BT I plate accelerator to my BT phone socket which I have been told that you can get remarkable improvements but I have not seen any as yet. It has only been a week and have been told to give it up to a fortnight. The only real alternative is to change providers. As BT customer such as my neighbour across the road who is getting 5.7 meg at peak times.
Old 26-May-2010, 03:16
Screamager

That's the problem with bt ip stream based adsl services,if the bt kit at the exchange thinks there is a problem with your line it will increase the SNRM level, which in turn reduces the speed, this is done to supposedly make the connection stable, Aol need to raise this with bt wholesale and request them to reset your ip profile, but if there is a fault with your line, then it will repeat this again,best not to reset/power cycle your router more than a couple of times per day, as this can trigger the bt dlm even though no fault is present,
But getting someone at aol tt to ask bt to reset your profile,?? may be difficult, as they not all but some would not have a clue

Old 26-May-2010, 08:18
martynston

Can anyone explain as I am confused as to way my AOL broadband speed shows over 6 meg in the morning at 7am but when 18.00hrs comes round it falls to under 0.5meg. This is very frustrating and Aol cannot come up with any solutions to resolve the problem. I have attached a BT I plate accelerate about a week ago which does not to have improved things even though i have been told it does take longer than this to work? I live only 312 metres from the exchange and in a 8 meg area!!!!!! BT customers in the area seem to get a much better and consistent service, is it just a case of changing ISP.
Old 26-May-2010, 23:56
Screamager

It sounds like
A:/ your line is being subjected to interference at those times or

B:/ Aol hell are incorrectly implementing traffic management,(throttling)

and/or the BT network is congested,

Personally i would consider migrating to a better isp, As it is doubtful that you will get a satisfactory solution from AOL

Old 27-May-2010, 08:46
martynston

Thanks for that Tommy t you have more or less answered what I probably already knew. I think I will try new ISP's as it cant be any worse. I am tied in with Aol for the next 3 months as they have given me three months free and see if things improve but I am not going to hold my breath. I will try different ISP's if I can get short term contracts with them if that is possible until hopefully I find one that gives me the broadband speed I am paying for.
Old 31-May-2010, 12:30
Huambo81a

Thanks for that Tommy t you have more or less answered what I probably already knew. I think I will try new ISP's as it cant be any worse. I am tied in with Aol for the next 3 months as they have given me three months free and see if things improve but I am not going to hold my breath. I will try different ISP's if I can get short term contracts with them if that is possible until hopefully I find one that gives me the broadband speed I am paying for.
Originally Posted by martynston View Post
I gave Aol 2 years to make things better, I had exactly the same problem as you. 5mb in the morning and less than 0.07mb at peak times. I tried everything, and I was convinced that it was just my local exchange and changing would make no difference. How wrong I was, with BT my connection never dips below 4 meg, and for the first time in my life I can actually use IPlayer lol.

Seroiusly, it IS Aol. Don't give them any more chances, and If you are in a rural area don't bother with any isp's which rent space from BT. In cities you have more choice, the exchanges are generally closer and have larger capacity. For me inthe middle of nowhere BT are the only option.
Old 12-June-2010, 10:14
martynston

Have you tried the BT I plate accelerator. I fitted this to my main socket which is really easy to do over month ago. I was getting less that 0.5 meg at peak times now getting over 5meg on regular bases. Dont expect instant results although some people do, it took about three weeks before I saw any significant change. They are cost about £5 with Amazon to get well worth it even if it does not work for you.
Old 31-August-2010, 18:48
ronsinclair1549

Hi,
I was getting about 5.5mb from said speed of 8mb. last week speed went down to 3.5mb, so phoned AOL today and was given some story about its my filter and if I get a new one it will be OK,
Never got a new filter and within an hour of that phone call, well what do you know, my speed went up to 6 mb +, and that’s with the old filter, its AOL just trying to get you to upgrade.

Ron
Old 17-September-2010, 08:37
orkney

Unhappy Re: AOL customers + speed problems

Well I have never had such poor speed it's worse than in the days of dial up. 0.70kbps and I can look out my window at the exchange.
Old 18-January-2011, 01:02
samadjodie@aol.com

have been with aol for about 10years plus and the speed is awful

Tags
abuse, adsl, aol, broadband, bt, company, connection, deals, email, facebook, free, google, happy, internet, isp, laptop, line, mobile, modem, network, ofcom, online, port, product, router, sky, slow, speed, speeds, talk, talk talk, talktalk, tiscali, web