Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > Hardware

Old 09-June-2011, 13:26
Jaws

Default ZyXEL P-2602HW-F3 QoS not working?

Hi there..

I've been lending my connection to my neighbour now for a while, until his own connection is fixed.

However, he does not know much about computers, and he likes to download stuff. So he does not know how to limit upload speeds when using torrents for instance. Our line is 16/1 mbit, which means the upload chokes easily. But on most routers this should be easy to fix, right? Limit upload through router interface.. Bandwidth configuration.. But.. No..

This thing has some QoS crap priority system instead..

I thought: 'I can work with that', but it seems I can't.. Since no matter what I change, it does nothing to limit the bandwidth. The rules don't seem to be applied at all.

I tried setting my own computers IP address to priority 7 (highest). This worked nicely. Monitor immediately pushed me to the top figure.
Then I added same rule for my neighbours computer, but this time the priority did not change at all. He still used the same amount of bandwitdth.
The monitor stated he was still receiving and transmitting at priority 4, when I had set him to be at 1/0.

After some frustration and hair pulling, I decided to just set all rules with priority 4, to 0. If nothing were allowed to transmit at 4, then it had to go down, right? ... NO! Monitor still showed him downloading 600+ kbps at priority 4.. And there he remains.

After some hours of searching google I realized that this is something that most others don't understand either, so I decided to go here. To the source.

Could someone please explain to me WTF this is not working properly?

Here are some screens of the interface and monitor. You can see me at priority 7, IP 0.1 : (Keep in mind that all the classes at 0's used to be 4's, 'cept for the IP 0.3):

No rules are priority 4, how can anything be transmitted at that priority if it is not used?

Tags
connection, google, line, qos, speeds, zyxel