Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > Hardware

Old 20-March-2011, 18:28
Screamer

Default Re: Help!! Hardware not being recognised.

Just a thought as most first cures have been tried and not worked. Go into the bios at power up and try turning off "plug and play" it used to be called plug and pray or if that doesn't work you may need to turn on support for USB Legacy devices. Depends on your BIOS/ Motherboard what exactly is available. To get into the bios you have to read the scren very quickly at start-up- it is often press escape key or delete key. Restart and wait!! after each power up patiently for it to sort itself out if it does.
Regards
Old 20-March-2011, 19:39
chrislane62

F2 on my lappy.
Old 20-March-2011, 21:56
Foxy Lady

Smile Re: Help!! Hardware not being recognised.

Thanks for that Ronb, I'll try it. I'm quite familiar with getting into the BIOS on my PC so will go in & try the suggestions you made.

I have actually re-formatted again, as I wasn't happy with the last one, something wasn't right as the drive letters weren't in sync & I had great difficulty getting my Internet working, which I shouldn't have done, so I bit the bullet & went for it one last time before I chucked the PC out of the window!!

It actually worked in the fact that my drive letters go in order now instead of it missing one out. Also, my Internet connected straight away with no problem.

Unfortunately, I'm still not well & have been in bed for the past couple of days, so haven't had chance to try my external HDD yet to see if it works. I'm venturing downstairs again tomorrow, so will give it a go & see. It still won't recognise my printer, which is now the main thing I need to get working. I've tried everything I can with this but nothing works. It's a Canon Pixma iP6600D if that helps.

Thanks again for your suggestions, which I will try & report back on.
Old 21-March-2011, 13:14
Screamer

Sorry, for the overcomplicated explanation. You don't know a persons expertise with computers. Most people don't even know what BIOS is or does.

Frankly the printer should pretty much just work after plugging in. One of my printers is a Canon Pixma ip3000. You are probably aware that you can go to Canon's website for support and download the driver and install. But this situation is sounding more like your USB ports are not supplying power, they can blow! I have met this before. Sorry but the solution then was a new motherboard. However having said that, as yours happened during a reformat this shouldn't cause USB power fails.

As USB ports are in pairs try a different port, maybe at the front but not directly next to the one it currently is in. Some ports on a computer can be USB 1 and others USB 2 type I have seen this cause devices not to work (e.g. an external multi memory card hub. As others have covered the common solutions it is difficult to say what it is.

Depending on how the device appears (or doesn't)-my usual routine is something like this happens is :-make sure you have installed the motherboards manufacturers full driver set then - 1-try windows update, 2- look in control panel for problems (exclamation marks) try automatic update driver, 3 manually update if the device shows, 4- download+install software/drivers from the manufacturer, 5- look in the BIOS, 6- scratch head.

Good luck, Ron

Last edited by ronb62; 21-March-2011 at 13:20. Reason: forgot something
Old 21-March-2011, 14:14
Screamager

Lol.

I'm glad I saw the replies last night before I wrote one of my long novels of try this, try that, it would have been all to no avail, now that you have formatted again and possibly still in the same situation.

1. Did you install this from an XP cd with SP3 included or other.

2. Did you add any Service Pack/s and updates/fixes directly after the install.

3. Did you not try anything before all these SP's/updates/fixes, etc, were installed, assuming you did it in the above fashion.

I did mention in a previous reply that some installs may contain glitches and cause no end of problems in the future, but that is by the by if the USB ports still malfunction and the above 1 and 2 do not apply.

When I do a fresh/new install, there is nothing connected to the PC, except the monitor, keyboard and mouse. I have had problems in the past where an additional hardware device has caused Windows to go gaa gaa after it has finished installing. Otherwise, nothing else is installed but drivers, then any Service Packs, etc, are added once I am satisfied everything is functioning correctly.

At the end of the day, it may be the Motherboard is faulty, but without it being tested or visually looked at for obvious problems, like blown/leaking capacitors, etc, one can only assume its that at a guess.

Anyway, the easiest and probably the simplest solution for the USB port problem, assuming you have a spare PCI slot, (There are 2 on that MSI Motherboard) is to install a 4/5 port PCI USB card, with an NEC chipset, stay away from ALI chipsets, they are bad news. I saw one on Ebay for about 5, which would have been suitable.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEC-Chip-5-por...item3365597bb2

Or pay through the nose for one from a local PC/Repair shop.

I know it doesnt solve the problem in hand, but it is a viable solution. Come to think about it, I had an unsolvable USB problem on an old Win98 machine years ago and I did exactly this.

PS. Get well soon.
Old 21-March-2011, 16:51
Foxy Lady

Post Re: Help!! Hardware not being recognised.

Awww, thanx for the get well wishes JR, it's seeming to be a long job but I'll get there in the end

As for the final re-install, it did tweak out a few probs but unfortunately I still have the USB one... still won't recognise my plug & play HDD & still no printer

I have a Windows XP Pro disc with SP2. Once installed I immediately went onto the Windows site & downloaded all updates that it told me I needed, automatic updates are on & it seems I am up to date with everything so far, including SP3.

I checked the BIOS & the Support for USB Legacy Devices is already enabled but I can't find any reference anywhere to Plug & Play

I know the printer should just work once plugged in but for some reason it isn't, even though I've tried using different USB ports not next to each other. I have also gone onto the Canon website & downloaded the latest drivers & installed them manually... all to no avail. For some reason I can't figure out, every time I try to install it from the CD I got with it, it gets right to the end and then says that the printer cannot be found so can't complete the install. On the odd times I have somehow managed to get it to see the printer, it then says please wait while set up completes and then does nothing, just hangs there!!! Grrrr!!!

Think it's about time I cut my losses & treated myself to a nice new PC!!!
Old 21-March-2011, 17:53
Screamager

Hiya.

Did you install the motherboard/sound/video/etc drivers before you downloaded and installed all the MS updates/SP3 ? And did you try anything before downloading the updates, I have a feeling something in those updates may be causing the problem if you didnt try anything.

Does the Printer show in Start > Printers and Faxes, when you attempt to install the drivers, if so right click on the Canon entry and select Properties, next click on the Ports tab and see if the USB port is ticked in there.

Are you installing the printer drivers before you actually plug the printer in and turn it on ? Most USB drivers require pre-installing and plugging the device in after a restart, some require plugging in the device part way through the installation.

Something else I would try, is to remove the Keyboard lead from the USB port and try the Printer and HDD in there, if no different, plug it back in and remove the lead from Mouse USB port, try the Printer and HDD in that one. Sometimes its possible to have a dodgy device plugged in that conflicts with other devices.

A USB PCI card is cheaper than a new PC, if it solves the initial problem, lol.
Old 21-March-2011, 19:46
Foxy Lady

Funnily enough JR, that very same idea came to me earlier... the first time I installed the printer after re-formatting I did it before updating anything, this time I did it after and I did wonder if that would make any difference.

The printere does show in the the printers and faxes window, only because I manually added it and the USB port is checked but the printer still does not work.

I have already swapped the keyboard & mouse ports with the printer one, all to no avail, it isn't recognised in any of them.

When trying to install the printer from the disc I have been not connected anything until it tells me to, odd times it has found the printer but then hung when trying to complete the install, other times it hasn't found it at all. Either way it won't work.
Old 21-March-2011, 19:47
Foxy Lady

Funnily enough JR, that very same idea came to me earlier... the first time I installed the printer after re-formatting I did it before updating anything, this time I did it after and I did wonder if that would make any difference.
Originally Posted by jenonnet View Post
Does this mean I will have to do another re-install and then install the printer before I update any thing else.
Old 21-March-2011, 20:36
Screamager

Hiya.

Its up to you if you want to re-install again and see if it makes any difference, it may or may not work.

Did the Printer work when you first formatted and installed the updates, etc, afterwards ? If it did, then it may be an update/Service Pack that is causing the problem. I found 3 possible updates that may affect USB....

KB838989
KB822603
Q810400

But cannot confirm when or what date they were issued and/or if they are now integral to any Service Pack/s or still separate updates. They should be visible in Add/Remove Programs if Show Updates is selected, if still separate.

I would plug in the HDD first after installing the motherboard drivers and see if that is recognised. If it isnt, then there is really no point in trying the Printer, but who knows it may be worth the effort, lol. The HDD doesnt require any installation as you say, being Plug n Play.

Did you swap the mouse/keyboard for the Printer/HDD when the PC was switched on ? And I meant for you to leave the mouse unplugged whilst you tried the HDD or Printer in its port and if no improvement, then plug the mouse back in and remove the Keyboard and leave it unplugged, then try that port with the HDD or Printer. I suppose you could remove both together and leave them unplugged whilst you tried it, lol. This would eliminate any faulty input devices.

Anyway....

Personally I would opt for the USB PCI card for a quick dirty fix, lol.
Old 21-March-2011, 20:57
Foxy Lady

Thumbs up Re: Help!! Hardware not being recognised.

Whooo hooo!!! We have lift off!!! Don't know why or how but I went back into the printer properties/ports & found a virtual printer USB port so ticked that (will try anything now!) clicked to print a test page & lo & behold a test page popped out of the printer!!!

Still no luck wih the HDD & yes I did leave the other out while I plugged that in, I also swapped them round... tried all computations but nothing worked.

Still, at least I can print again & I'll just have to make sure I back up my data onto a disc every so often, it should be easy enough considering I have a 2nd internal hard drive that I store all my data on. Just won't be able to use my memory sticks or external HDD from now on.

Thank you soooo much for all the help you have given me & all the time you have taken over this, it's really appreciated.
Old 21-March-2011, 21:11
Screamager

Hiya.

Well thats some good news for a change, lol.

Yes, Virtual printer port for USB is the description on mine, but the the Port name is USB001, it may be named differently on yours ?

I dont know if you are happy at that, or want to advance some more, but your bill is getting quite large, heha.
Old 21-March-2011, 21:25
Foxy Lady

rofl, well as far as my calculation go JR my bill is already far more than I can afford to pay!! lol. Just show who your friends are in times like this, the ones who will go the extra mile to help you out... & most appreciative I am believe me.

If I am honest, yes, I would like to carry on & get this beast tamed so that I can use my external HDD & memory sticks but I can live without them, as long as my DC/DVD writer works (which it does thank goodness!) & I can print again (yeeeyyy!) I may just leave it at that for now.

To be quite honest I have had this PC for quite a while now & it has been playing up quite a lot recently (hence the re-install after trying everything else!) so I think I'm going to try & save up to buy myself a nice new one with better capabilities, especially as my next one needs to be one I can keep for a long time & will still do the job I need it to & won't cost me too much. .... hmmmm, now I wonder who can give me some pointers on that??? lol

Thanks again all, you've been great & I really, really do appreciate it.
Old 21-March-2011, 21:47
Screamager

Hiya.

OK, leave as is for now then, if you are happy with that.

If the PC is playing up, its usually a sign of imminent failure at some point. Its probably the Motherboard as has been said before, they dont last forever unfortunately.

There are some pretty good deals about, but the Wont cost me too much just wont cut it anymore, heha.

I'm sure you will be back when its time to decide on a new one.
Old 21-March-2011, 23:59
Foxy Lady

Ha ha!!! Don't worry JR, I'll be back before then, just to check in now & then like I always do, you don't get rid of me that easily, I'm like the proverbial bad penny... just keep coming back!!

The 'not cost me much' is relative I suppose, all depends on what you consider 'not much'. I would really like to build my own, I'd like a tower you can sit an external drive into the top of to connect it instead of having to plug a USB wire into one of the ports & also one that has the USB sockets & other stuff (headphone jack, etc.) at the top of the tower instead of the bottom where it is difficult to reach down to..... why on earth do they do that??!! One with wi fi in, at least 4 - 8 gb ram, so would have to be a 64 bit machine, really decent graphics, video & sound cards so I can use my photo editor better & listen to my music while I'm working, also watch films without it keep 'glitching'.

Don't want much do I?!! lol
It's just that it always seems that no sooner have you got a machine that you think will do you for ages, you've suddenly outgrown it & it can't cope with the things you want to do anymore. At least if you build your own you can adjust what you need to when you need to do it. Wish I had more knowledge of that side of things. I know my way round a computer better than the average 60yr old (& quite a few younger ones too!) and am really good at the Office software, Paint Shop Pro, stuff like that but would love to be able to build & maintain my own PC.

Ah well, don't suppose you can have all you want, it wouldn't be good for us!!

Thank again, you're a star!!
Old 22-March-2011, 11:23
Screamager

Hiya.

Good God, you really dont want much do you, you will need a second mortgage for all that kit, lol.

Here's one I made earlier from an old washing up liquid bottle and some sticky backed plastic....

http://www.thermaltake.com/product_i...+BlacX+Edition

This is the only company I could find that made this type of case. Your looking at about 100 quid for this case alone, no Power Supply or anything else is included. Has dual 3.5"/2.5" sata HDD dock on top, along with USB and audio sockets by the looks of it.

Building your own PC isnt that hard, with a little ingenuity and some patience. There are load s of sites out there with walkthroughs and videos on how to build your own PC.

Then all you need to decide on is PSU, Motherboard, CPU, Memory, Graphics card, Soundcard if needed, blah, blah, blah.

Probably the only tool you will need is a Philips screwdriver.

Anyway, dream on, heha.

EDIT.

Short vid of case being unpacked....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQD6X...eature=related

Last edited by JohnnyReb51; 22-March-2011 at 11:42. Reason: added video
Old 22-March-2011, 15:30
Foxy Lady

Yeah well, I don't do things by halves you know JR!!

That one you sent the link to looks interesting. Medion do one, sold in the Aldi shops, that the HDD lays onto the top of instead of standing straight up, that's a better option for me as there isn't much space for standing up straight drives at the top. Problem with theirs is that it all comes ready made, not bad spec though, for about 450/500... a bit more that I really wanted to pay & then start adding to get it perfect.

Thing is, if the tower alone will cost me at least 100 & it isn't exactly what I want, then I have to gt everything else on top, it just migh be a more viable option.

Well, at least you've given me a few things to think about, thanks for that... I think!!
Old 22-March-2011, 16:16
Screamager

Ha! I knew I would scare you out of it, lol.

The Aldi one isnt too bad from the looks of it.

What you could do is buy that one and dismantle the old one, then rebuild it for some experience. Make sure its turned of though when messing about inside it.

When you feel you have rebuilt it correctly, turn it on and see if it still works, if it goes BANG! you did something wrong, but hasnt really cost you anything, because it was scrap in the first place, heha,
Old 22-March-2011, 18:01
Foxy Lady

It's not scared me off, just thinking about the price, we pensioners have to watch the pennies you know!!

It's a good idea of yours though, at least messing about with the old one will give me a good idea of what is what & where it goes. I have changed hard drives & C/DVD drives before now & found that easy enough. It's the knowledge of what is a good motherboard, processor, graphics card, etc., that's where I need the help.

Anyway, once I finally do get to retire & have a bit of extra time on my hands, I've got an interesting hobby to look into eh?!!
Old 22-March-2011, 19:30
Screamager

Hiya.

Yep, hands on experience is better than reading all the books in the world, that still leave you lacking the practice of actually doing it after reading them all, lol.

Most components either plug in/screw on. There arent a lot of difficult things to install except maybe the CPU and Heatsink + fan. These 2 normally require a bit of TLC on installing, due to the CPU's delicate/static damageable nature and the correct fitting/alignment of the HSF, not forgetting the Thermal paste used between the CPU and the Heatsink, which is a must.

The same can apply to the Memory sticks, they will only fit one way round, again, lugs and guides are there to assist, they should never be force fitted and they are also static damageable, so precautions are needed when fitting them, as is any bare component in the PC. EG. Motherboard, CPU, Memory, Graphics and/or Sound card, etc, etc.

The Power supply also has to be adequately fit for purpose, this is another thing of which the specs will need looking at. Total wattage, amps per output, etc. Too little power and the PC will struggle/fail under heavy loads.

Some things can be fiddly to install, but a bit of patience is all thats needed and most have locating lugs/guides of some kind so you cant put them in/on the wrong way round. If something is hard to fit, never force anything to fit, or you may bend pins or damage the component, always double check check the orientation/pin alignment and if you are still not sure, Google it for examples.

Finding the parts....

What I normally do is throw a suggestion into Google, like Best gaming video card. Go through the results and find one that catches my eye, usually the most mentioned one. Read what the specs are and are they suitable for my application. Most software/games, etc, have a min/max requirement.

Next I Google reviews on that item and see what they say about it, whether its all hype or does what it says on the tin.

I then scout various sites for the best price.

Then I have to work out if I can really afford it anyway, heha.

There is a lot of cross referencing of components to make sure all items are compatible with each other and also suitable to the requirement. The Motherboard manual is a good reference point, it holds all the specs of what it can and cant do.

Anyway I will stop now, or I will still be writing in this thread when you do retire, heha.
Old 22-March-2011, 19:52
Foxy Lady

You can always tell when someone is talking to you about something they are passionate about, so nice to see!!

Well at least you've given me lots of things to think about!

Thanks.
Old 22-March-2011, 19:53
Screamager

Old 22-March-2011, 20:07
Foxy Lady

Tags
audio, bad, cable, company, computer, deals, failure, fashion, feature, files, free, happy, hdd, home, hub, intel, internet, key, laptop, make, port, product, screen, settings, shop, sound, talk, windows