Go Back   The Scream! > COMMUNITY FORUMS > General Chatty Stuff

Old 21-November-2009, 19:33
Waves goodbye

Question Car accident - insurance claim help

Hi all.

Just had my first motoring "bump" in the 2 1/2 years since I passed

I was waiting in hardly moving, rush hour traffic to turn right into the flats where I live, the oncoming traffic was non moving and a white van flashed me to let me turn right..... which i did and crunch, collided with a white Audi coming on the inside of the white van towards me, I couldn't see any oncoming car as the white van blocked visibility, plus this road (200 metres long) once leaving a roundabout, tapers out and ends at the other end splitting into either left, or right turn i.e. 2 lanes. I have never seen 2 cars travelling "side by side" towards me upon leaving the roundabout. Abit past where the turn off for my flats is a white arrow on the road indicating left and right lanes.

Anway, we exchanged details, he wanted me to abmit liability which I did't, then he drove off. He had a crack on his bumper, my bumper was also cracked, had a dent front left side and the bonnet is 2 inches higher than it should be and wont open using the catch in the car. It also makes a right catching noise when driven. Anyway, I put it in the garage and dug out my insurance paperwork then phoned them.

The XX took details then passed me onto someone else who also took more detailed .... er details. They said my car would be collected by XXXX and I would get a replacement car. I explained I drive an automatic and she said that might delay things by 24 hours or so.

Anway, on Friday a tow truck came and took my car away for repair.

Before that on Thursday, someone phoned me from XXXX explaining what was happening but she was given wrong information and thought my car was driveable. So she arranged for the above collection. She also said they only had 2 automatic replacement cars both being used, but they'll call me as soon as one is available.

Today I got a letter from the insurance company the XX were using saying they had received notification from the XX but not from me, so sent me 4 page detailed accident form to fill out with times, dates and sketches etc.

Anyway, I beleive the excess on my fully comp. cover is 350, so......

1) who pays for the bumper / radiator damage to my car?
2) who pays for the damage to his car?
3) will I get charged for my car being taken away?
4) I now need a replacement car - do I argue this with the people who took my car or go back to the XX, my insurers?

Sorry if i sound thick, I have never had a bump before and don't understand insurance claims etc. All I DO know is there goes my 2 1/2 years no claims and I'll have to pay much more next year becuase of this.

N.B. I have not admitted liability so what happens next?

oh yeah

5) if the repair place say we want 500 say for fixing my car, do I pay them direct?

I haven't got a clue

Shaken but not stirred MT

Last edited by MegaTsunami; 22-November-2009 at 17:09.
Old 21-November-2009, 20:19
Former TS! Team

Default Re: Car accident - insurance claim help

ignoring who's fault it was (thats for the insurers to sort out) the way it happened to me was :

phoned insurers with details of incident - they then contacted an approved garage for repairs.
the garage picked up my car (and would have sorted out a courtesy car if I wanted - except due to separate injury I couldn't drive).
I paid my insurance excess over the phone to the garage once repairs where complete.
They then returned my car and claimed the rest of the bill straight from the insurers.

so to answer your questions :
1) who pays for the bumper / radiator damage to my car?
Your insurance

2) who pays for the damage to his car?
His insurers

Insurers then argue to which company pays which.

3) will I get charged for my car being taken away?
unlikely, should be in your insurance details - but generally no.

4) I now need a replacement car - do I argue this with the people who took my car or go back to the **, my insurers?
If your insurance covers a courtesy car - phone them, they should sort it out.

5) if the repair place say we want 500 say for fixing my car, do I pay them direct?
No - Just the excess (in my case - check with your insurers who you pay that to).

At the end of the day phone your insurers to answer any questions.
I had a dedicated claim person and reference number - They are there to help and make it as painless as possible.

Only difference is that you should have phoned the insurers before putting it the garage - for my car only approved garages where allowed to carry out work under insurance.

Finally - even minor accidents can leave you quite shaken for a while, especially if it's your first one.
Once you get your car back, you'll be back to normal soon enough, just maybe a little more cautious.

Last edited by Memfis; 21-November-2009 at 20:29. Reason: edited to explain a little clearer
Old 21-November-2009, 20:24
Waves goodbye

Thanks for reassuring me.

I forgot to say that I never received a 2009/10 car insurance policy. I phoned them up in May this year complaining about the price they wanted for renewal (seeing as I hadnt made claim in 2 1/2 years) and they matched a competitors and said I keep the same policy number, so I don't know exactly what my excess is.

However a quick online check of the repairers website says 250. So all I pay is 250 to them once repairs are done, even there is 2,500 of damage?
Old 21-November-2009, 20:52
Former TS! Team

However a quick online check of the repairers website says 250. So all I pay is 250 to them once repairs are done, even there is 2,500 of damage?
Originally Posted by MegaTsunami View Post
Yes
Old 22-November-2009, 17:52
Mr Pedantic

Hi Mega I haven't been on here in ages but remember you always had big problems? Still seems you have?
Old 22-November-2009, 19:46
chrislane62

Having re-read the first post, I would say it is entirely your fault. You turned in front of some-one who had not signalled you to proceed..Provided the Audi was on the carraigeway he was entitled to drive forwards.
Old 23-November-2009, 10:08

I've just had my first "bump" as well. Sat at the lights on my bike (Honda CG125) - they tuned green and as I was pulling away the bike suddenly shot out from under me. I initially thought I'd let the clutch out too fast, but it turned out someone had rammed me from behind.

Poor woman was in tears. No serious injuries that I can tell, but my knee (I think it hit the grabrail as I came off) has started hurting - will have to pop up to A&E later just in case.
Old 23-November-2009, 14:03
Former TS! Team

No serious injuries that I can tell, but my knee (I think it hit the grabrail as I came off) has started hurting - will have to pop up to A&E later just in case.
Originally Posted by bouncingjohn View Post
Sounds similar to when I broke my wrist. seamed fine at the time just thought I'd bruised it. Wasn't for a couple of hours for the real pain to kick in.
Old 23-November-2009, 15:24

Nothing broken luckily, just some "soft tissue damage" - but it hurts like hell now. Probably be off work for a few days.
Old 23-November-2009, 21:29
Waves goodbye

Ta for the replies, not so good it looks like my fault even though I argue the road where we collided is NOT 2 lanes

Hope you are okay bouncingjohn ?
Old 23-November-2009, 21:31
Waves goodbye

"Anyway, I put it in the garage and dug out my insurance paperwork then phoned them."

That meant my rented brick garage, not a car garage...
Old 23-November-2009, 22:12
Former TS! Team

"Anyway, I put it in the garage and dug out my insurance paperwork then phoned them."

That meant my rented brick garage, not a car garage...
Originally Posted by MegaTsunami View Post
ahh sorry - my misunderstanding

Tags
car, collection, company, crack, delay, lights, line, make, online, sound, van