Old 20-October-2006, 10:58
deadbysunrise

Default Wireless Encryption help!

Hi all!

I'm hoping someone here can help me with a problem I'm having trying to encrypt my wireless network.

I currently have it running unencrypted with no problems at all. In case you need to know to help me, I have changed the SSID to something random and broadcasting of this name is disabled. I have changed the default admin passwords, and I have also set it up so to only permit connection with MAC codes allowing only the two computers here to connect. Also, just so you know, I am using a Linksys WAG354G and linksys wireless network cards. My ISP is Orange/Wanadoo/freeserve.

The problem I'm having is trying to encrypt using (preferably) WPA or WEP. As soon as I enable security using either of these I can connect at all. I have tried using the Windows wireless connection windows to set this up an accurately copied the same encryption key to both computers and the router settings.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can sort this out?

While I'm on the subject, it sometimes takes 10 mins for one of my computers to connect even though the wireless connection utility I have seems to see the signal quickly. Is it purely a distance from the router issue?

If you need any other settings or information please ask as I am completely baffled by this although I suspect I'm missing something simple!

Cheers!

Dan
Old 20-October-2006, 11:36
Optimistic Curmudgeon

Default Re: Wireless Encryption help!

Normally, you need to encrypt the Router and re-boot it for the encryption to take effect. Sometimes, the computers need to be rebooted before they seek the encryption password.
Old 20-October-2006, 12:54
Zer02004

Don't hide SSID - Simply change it as you have done.
Don't bother locking MAC access for a home setup, just use WPA-PSK with TKIP encryption instead.
Old 20-October-2006, 16:49
deadbysunrise

Thanks. I will try both suggestions when I get home from work. I didnt think enabling SSID would make any difference since most websites say it it best to hide. I have not tried to use WPA without using the MAC access.. so I will try that.

Normally, you need to encrypt the Router and re-boot it for the encryption to take effect. Sometimes, the computers need to be rebooted before they seek the encryption password.
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Does turning the router off at the mains and letting it power back up count as a genuine reboot? There are options to reboot in the control panel, but once I enable the WPA I cannot access it to do a controled restart.
Old 20-October-2006, 19:06
thumpert

Hi deadly,

Have you tried setting up your router using a wired ethernet connection from one of your laptops. Its not normally a good idea to change encryption etc over a wireless link.
Old 21-October-2006, 19:32
deadbysunrise

I haven;t been able to connect to the route using a wired connection. The new computer is not near a phone line and the old one doesn;t have an ethernet port.

Anyway, today I tried setting up a network where I SSID broadcast is enabled and permitting only certain computers with MAC codes is now disabled .... and the result is it works! WPA is now activated and I now have a secured encrypted network.

So result! But why do so many websites suggest that ssid broadcast is disabled and MAC codes are used when I can't, and other people tell me not too anyway?
Old 21-October-2006, 20:14
Zer02004

You can hide your SSID as much as you like and all it will do is cause grief for you. Anyone who is determined to gain access to your network will know your SSID within seconds and have a spoofed MAC address within minutes.
I've not heard of anyone cracking a sensibly encrypted WPA system yet.
Old 23-October-2006, 22:28
Life in the Farce Lane

http://mini-itx.com/99412893

"By focusing all 8 WLAN cards onto an access point and using a combination of common Linux tools, the Janus Project can crack a WEP key in under 5 minutes. WPA and WPA2 encryption aren't far behind"

But I know most people wont be running that level of atack at most home networks (thankfully)
Old 14-November-2006, 16:01
cassie

please can someone tell me how to crack the wep code for my own wanadoo/orange wireless internet? i don't see why i should have to pay nigh on £40 to purchase a code for a box in my own house. thanks.
Old 21-November-2006, 04:09
highlandcoo

please can someone tell me how to crack the wep code for my own wanadoo/orange wireless internet? i don't see why i should have to pay nigh on £40 to purchase a code for a box in my own house. thanks.
Originally Posted by cassie View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NetStumbler

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...&search=Search

Tags
cards, computer, connection, crack, hack, home, internet, isp, key, line, make, network, new computer, orange, phone, port, router, security, settings, tools, windows, wireless