Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > Networking

Old 14-October-2008, 20:54
Theodorable

Default Connecting to XBox Live via Netgear DG834G v2

If anyone can help me here, I'd really really really really appreciate it. I'm completely thick when it comes to networking so please go easy on me with your technical terms.

I have a Netgear DG834G v2 and I've somehow never been able to get it to connect to XBox Live. It detects my connection and allows me to put in my WPA password, but when it's testing, under "Wireless Connection" it says "Not Connected" and gets no further.

I managed to look up my IP address and put it in manually, and also finding out the MAC address and putting that in as an alternate MAC address, but I get the same results. Unfortunately that's as far as my networking knowledge goes (and even then I don't know what half that stuff is, so...)

Please, I turn to you as a last resort because I don't know what to even try or what might be wrong. Should I get a new router? Do I need to change some fancy settings on my PC? Should I throw my 360 into the microwave and have done with it?
Old 14-October-2008, 22:21
Theodorable

Default Re: Connecting to XBox Live via Netgear DG834G v2

Just to update, I've managed to access my router and its settings. Under "Services" I've added ports 3074 and 88 (also added these to the "Firewall rules"). The UPnP thing was already turned on, and under the "Wireless Station Access List", it even had the MAC address of my XBox 360 on there as I imagine it should.

Reading posts on forums by people who seem to have had similar problems to me, doing the above things seem to have fixed it, but I'm still getting the "Not Connected" on the second part of the test.

It's really frustrating and I'm starting to wonder if the solution is something insanely simple that I've missed from the very beginning. Either way, I'm definitely stuck now, and any help or advice at all would be so so appreciated.
Old 14-October-2008, 22:36
Screamager

dont no much about the wireless side of things, but running a x box 360 or other console using a wireless connection ain't gonna give you a good gaming xp anyways (lag city,ect )as the data rate of either 54mbps or 108mbps) is no where near the 1gb using Ethernet cable plus is not as reliable as cable,
Old 15-October-2008, 09:46
Screamager

Hi. I had lots of issues connecting my sons Xbox 360 wirelessly. As Tommy says above, the lag was terrible and he was unable to host games.

That aside, I also had real issues with the router (it was a Belkin). I read on the xbox web site that some routers are proven to be compatible with the xbox and some arent. Other people on this forum will say that a router is a router and they are all as compatible as each other. My own specific experience was that the Belkin didnt work properly and kept losing connection. When I bought a new router (Linksys - one of the compatible models off the xbox 360 website) all the connection problems went away. The lag still remained on the wireless connection, but I cured this by taking an ethernet cable from the xbox to the router, under floorboards and through the garage.

Try these links

http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/support/xbox/connect/wirelessconnect.htm

http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/support/xb...aq/routers.htm

Hope you resolve it.
Old 20-June-2009, 20:20
TraumaticHug

dont no much about the wireless side of things, but running a x box 360 or other console using a wireless connection ain't gonna give you a good gaming xp anyways (lag city,ect )as the data rate of either 54mbps or 108mbps) is no where near the 1gb using Ethernet cable plus is not as reliable as cable,
Originally Posted by tommy t View Post
Considering the fastest internet connection (in the UK) is only 20Mbps, a 54Mbps wireless connection isn't going to affect the speed at all.

Unless he has a lot of metal or thick walls in the way :P
Old 03-February-2010, 14:19
hmmmuk2010

Originally Posted by tommy t View Post
I think you'll find, that the wired connection is 100Mb not 1Gb, therefore, in an ideal enviroment, the wireless G+ (108Mb) would be faster!
Old 03-February-2010, 16:11
Former TS! Team

I think you'll find, that the wired connection is 100Mb not 1Gb, therefore, in an ideal enviroment, the wireless G+ (108Mb) would be faster!
Originally Posted by hmmmuk2010 View Post
Correct most home lan networks are 100mb/s.
The difference between bandwidth of lan and wireless G by the time you have taken encryption overheads off is negligible.

Finally, when gaming it's not bandwidth that count it's ping.
Network cable has a delay of less than a millisecond (<1ms).
ADSL has a delay between 20-30ms.
Wireless will add anything between 20-60ms.

Tags
belkin, cable, connection, delay, dg834g, home, internet, lag, netgear, router, settings, speed, web, wireless, xbox