Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > Networking

Old 16-January-2011, 13:30
ARP

Default Problem with network & printer

I hope someone can help.
Main computer is running Win XP to which a canon IP4500 is connected by a USB connection. 32bit This printer is shared

My laptop is running on Win7 64bit conected through a router.
I don't seem to be able to see the printer on the wify system

Is this owing to using a 32 & 64bit systems If so can you help.
thanks for any help in advance as I look forward to be able to use my shared printer.
Old 16-January-2011, 15:56

Thumbs up Re: Problem with network & printer

Hi ARP
Stating the obvious, both the main PC and printer must be on to be 'seen' by others on the network. You must also 'share' your printer. You should then be able to 'see' the printer and be to print from it. It makes no difference whether 32 or 64 - I'm running Win7 64 (ethernet), Vista Pro 32 (Wi-Fi), Vista 32 (Wi-Fi) and XP (ethernet) and all are fine (except I cannot print form my iPad!).
One printer (Cannon ink jet) has a network card and the other (Kyocera laser) has a print server stuck on the back.
Old 21-January-2011, 22:40
Screamer

Default Re: Problem with network & printer

Hi
From my Memory, i,m not in front of my main machine to check the sequence exactly-

You have to turn on "file and printer sharing" Also you have to then share your printer, right click on it in "devices and printers" and from properties choose sharing . Then from your laptop and wiith your main machine and printer ON choose add printer and select network printer if not automatically found.
WAIT while the drivers and software are installed!!
Good luck
Ron

Tags
computer, connection, forward, laptop, network, router, share, sharing, software