Go Back   The Scream! > COMMUNITY FORUMS > General Chatty Stuff

Closed Thread

Old 16-June-2001, 21:38
Screamager

Default How To Add A User To Your Ignore List In Your User CP

If your are finding that a certain user is annoying you, or spoiling your enjoyment of the forum then there is a simple feature of this new board that you may find interesting. It has been mentioned before, but I thought it might be more useful to detail it and use an example.

You should all have a set of yellow buttons at the top of the page, one of them is titled User CP. This is your User Control Panel.

If you click on it, you should be presented with a list of other options. One of those options is Edit Ignore List. If you click on it, you will be taken to a page where you can input a users name. Enter a name...for example stillgoing. Then hit Update List.

When you return to the forums you will notice that all the threads started by the user have disappeared from your view, also any post made in a thread by that user will also be missing.

You will never be bothered by that individual, whoever it may be, again...as long as you keep that user name in your ignore list.

I hope his helps some of you.

Regards

'Slo
Old 16-June-2001, 21:41
merry

Onslo, that is the best news I had all day.

Thanks.
Old 16-June-2001, 21:55
Tebbie

, have been using that for a while now,,lol.

is better than someone telling us we can't see something,, we can controle it then,,

But it makes me think of something i heard once, , " do trees make a sound if no one is around to hear them fall?",,,,

tebs
Old 16-June-2001, 22:13
panikos

Now that's a good idea Onslo.

Tebs the correct answer to that philosophical quresion is.... who cares?
Old 16-June-2001, 22:16
Yorkie

I've been using it as well for some time now and it has made reading the scream much more enjoyable, even if at times someone is answering a post that the person(s) you are blocking has made and then you haven't a clue what they are talking about.

P.S.

How about a top ten "Most blocked poster" list

Old 17-June-2001, 01:04
Kaznix

Added a few to my list a few days ago...

Only downside is sometimes you see people talking to themselves.

Edit: Oops, sorry, I forget. They really ARE talking to themselves.
Old 17-June-2001, 05:42
NA-RYAN

P.S.

How about a top ten "Most blocked poster" list
1:stillgoing
2:stillgoing
3:stillgoing
4:stillgoing
5:stillgoing
6:stillgoing
7:stillgoing
8:stillgoing
9:stillgoing
10:stillgoing

Old 17-June-2001, 09:18
seaviewuk

Hey Onslo you are on my blocked list :l

Please don't answer because I won't be able to read your reply

ONLY KIDDING ONLY KIDDING
Old 17-June-2001, 12:12
Screamager

did someone say something?

'Slo
Old 17-June-2001, 12:19
seaviewuk

I wonder if Onslo ever did reply to this message?
Old 17-June-2001, 12:46
Screamager

Am I talking to myself here?

Has anyone seen Seaview around recently? I wonder if he's on holiday or something.

'Slo
Old 17-June-2001, 12:57
Waves goodbye

Isn't this "adding user to your ignore list" going a little too far ?

Everyone has the right to speak on this forum, and surely if you don't like what someone says, then you should be mature enough to just ignore them. There is no better treatment than giving someone the silent treatment by "sending them to Coventry".

And, if this person ever became vulgar, rude, offensive and every other word was a swear word - then surely the Moderators could just BAN the user from these boards, isn't that what this "IP address logged" business is ?

I admit I don't really know how all this started, but I just think not responding to someone's posts is the best way. Physically "adding" them to your "ignore list" in your personal options (which I didn't know existed !) is a bit harsh ?

Heck, judging by the feelings I have stated re: James Bulgers killers (on the "News" thread) makes me wonder if any of you lot have put me on your ignore list ???

Just because someone feels strongly over something you disagree with doesn't mean you should physically "block" any posts they make. That is just burying your head in the sand, and if that person is a problem, they will still be there (even if you close your eyes to them).

Yes / No ?

By the way, I am not defending anyone or supporting anyone on here. There have been many times I have thrown a "wobbly" and got pretty p*ssed off with this place (and certain people), but when I have cooled down, have been glad I stayed after all

If this person behaves in such a way that crosses any lines, then BAN them.

If not, and you don't like a particular poster (for whatever reason), just don't read the words they have written - simple.

Again, Yes / No ?

Goodbye.
Old 17-June-2001, 14:14
panikos

Mega, I have never even considered putting you on my ignore list. Mind you, once or twice I would have loved to have a button marked 'tip a bucket of cold water over posters head' but no I wouldn't ignore you.

See it's okay for us to disagree cos at the end of the day you are one of the 'good guys'. I disagree with friends about lots of things but when things get difficult I know they will help me and I will help them.
Old 17-June-2001, 16:34
Waves goodbye

@ panikos !!!!!!

Cheers
Old 17-June-2001, 19:52
tambranstew

I've got to agree with both Panikos and M.T.

Doesn't using an ignore option defeat the point of open forum?

Not only that won't it make the threads become slightly confusing and some of the conversations sound slightly onesided if you have ignored one person and not the other!

While I may not agree with every point of view that a person may give or the way that the point is worded I wouldn't put that person on an ignore list simply because they still have the right to an opinion.

Wouldn't it be a better option to have more than one level so that private messages could be blocked from a user? That way if they are sending unwanted PM's to you you could then block the messages without losing their input into a topic!
Old 18-June-2001, 01:42
STS

Default Which Only

Hi,

Playground Habits = Immaturity.

Practice your sig.....

STS
Old 18-June-2001, 10:13
STS

Default True

Hi,

Yes My Life... My Choice.

I don't believe in blocking anyone whatsoever, I choose whether to be bothered reading their posts or not.

When I get bored I won't read them (yawn)

STS
Closed Thread

Tags
blocking, feature, make, opinion, sound