Go Back   The Scream! > COMMUNITY FORUMS > General Chatty Stuff

Old 12-March-2014, 23:22
Foxy Lady

Smile Re: Random Thoughts or Things That Seem Too Pointless to Post Elsewhere

My partner is fed up with forced rhubarb that tastes too bitter without a sprinkle of sugar.

She has asked me to grow some cucumbers and carrots instead. If I put these in now how long will they take to come up?

If the cucumbers wilt can they be restored or is that too difficult for the amateur gardener?
Originally Posted by Worldlife View Post

Oh no!! I never have sugar with rhubarb, it stops the taste coming through!! There's nothing better than a nice hard stick of fresh rhubarb, cleaned and eaten 'au naturale' especially when it's a young stick with plenty of 'bite you back' taste in it. Mmmmmmm!!

Carrots take longer to come up than cucumbers but you get a better length and width with cucumbers, by the nature of them they are singly a much bigger size than carrots.

As for the wilting of the cucumbers, they will do this if left out in the cold or wet for too long. Unfortunately, once they have wilted it is not possible to un-wilt them, the wilted part will just have to be cut off and the rest used as quickly as possible.
Old 13-March-2014, 13:12
Safe Sane Consensual

Default Re: Random Thoughts or Things That Seem Too Pointless to Post Elsewhere

Maybe the next question is whether to wash, scrub or peel the cucumber or carrot before it is used.

Cucumbers and carrots certainly should not be eaten raw without washing.

... but peeling
Old 14-March-2014, 01:38
Foxy Lady

I think carrots are much nicer and more beneficial if eaten with the skin on... especially if they are nice smooth young hard ones.

Cucumbers on the other hand should never be eaten with the skin on as it upsets the digestive system. Like it or not, they should be peeled before eating.

I'm in the process of pruning my tree and have just purchased some extendible ratchet bypass pruners. The instructions say to keep your tool working well you should keep it clean and lubricate it regularly... now that sounds like good advice to me.
Old 14-March-2014, 07:33
Safe Sane Consensual

Tend to agree with you about carrots - they are best young and straight. There is nothing worse than a gnarled and old woody carrot that is only fit for a stew. An old boiler comes in useful for this.

Some prefer to have their cucumbers with a protective plastic sheath around them. Others say this impairs the flavour but some argue it keeps the cucumber safe and fresh and retains the seed in best condition.

Some of the best carrots or cucumbers are slightly bent or kinky. Their flavour is more often more developed than those pulled up or off when immature.

My goodness - ratchet bypass pruners suggest long term neglect of the vegetation or the gardener is suffering from RSI!

You are so right on the care of tools. Those that are left dirty will certainly give problems. Regular use and lubrication ensure the long and useful life of all hand and power tools.
Old 15-March-2014, 21:59
Foxy Lady

No long term neglect of vegetation Worldlife, just help for the vertically challenged of this world

Lubrication certainly is important to ensure the long and useful life of all hand and power tools, without it you could be in definite trouble with keeping your tools working without chafing and abrasive actions.
Old 16-March-2014, 06:21
Safe Sane Consensual

No long term neglect of vegetation Worldlife, just help for the vertically challenged of this world

Lubrication certainly is important to ensure the long and useful life of all hand and power tools, without it you could be in definite trouble with keeping your tools working without chafing and abrasive actions.
Originally Posted by jenonnet View Post
This all seems to come back to the hard wood problem. Some safe garden steps could be a better answer. Depending on how much you have let things go you might even manage with a small box rather than buying additional long handled tools!
Old 17-March-2014, 12:35
Foxy Lady

Haven't let things go, first pruning since we moved, so tackling someone else's left over mess & overgrown foliage.
Have got metal steps but not so clever to use them in soft, wet, unstable terrain, would rather use long handled loppers, at least my feet are firmly on terra firma with them!!
Old 17-March-2014, 18:03
Safe Sane Consensual

Haven't let things go, first pruning since we moved, so tackling someone else's left over mess & overgrown foliage.
Have got metal steps but not so clever to use them in soft, wet, unstable terrain, would rather use long handled loppers, at least my feet are firmly on terra firma with them!!
Guess we can now understand why professional lady gardeners are so much in demand!
Old 18-March-2014, 19:39
Foxy Lady

Guess we can now understand why professional lady gardeners are so much in demand!

But of course, lady gardeners take very good care of their lady gardens, we're well known for our tidy and sometimes nicely shaped gardens!
Old 19-March-2014, 12:59
Safe Sane Consensual

But of course, lady gardeners take very good care of their lady gardens, we're well known for our tidy and sometimes nicely shaped gardens!
Agree they are often tidier than those completed by male designers or contractors. The female alternatives that I have seen, and I travel a lot, seemed mainly rectangular formal designs. Curved borders are seldom seen.

Once you master (or mistress) the art of posting or linking photos on TS I really look forward to seeing pictures of the best gardens designed by you or other women.

Old 19-March-2014, 19:27
Foxy Lady

Most lady gardeners like to keep their creations to themselves Worldlife, so unfortunately no photos will be forthcoming.

However, you are correct in saying a lot of them are of triangular design, although I have seen ones designed on a straight line basis... landing strip comes to mind and others are heart shaped, so there is quite a variation.

Some are even stripped bare completely and have no vegetation whatsoever, keeping the garden perfectly smooth and clear with virtually no upkeep whatsoever... this is a very neat and tidy garden.
Old 19-March-2014, 23:23
Safe Sane Consensual

<snip>
Some are even stripped bare completely and have no vegetation whatsoever, keeping the garden perfectly smooth and clear with virtually no upkeep whatsoever... this is a very neat and tidy garden.
I have seen some contemporary work by male designers where all the lawn, flower beds or shrubberies are removed to expose bare earth around a feature tree. Avoid taking photographs with short exposures in harsh sunlight. Best results are from long exposures when the sun has gone down or a flash at night
Old 20-March-2014, 14:26
Foxy Lady

I have seen some contemporary work by male designers where all the lawn, flower beds or shrubberies are removed to expose bare earth around a feature tree. Avoid taking photographs with short exposures in harsh sunlight. Best results are from long exposures when the sun has gone down or a flash at night

I agree that photos taken when the sun has gone down, or by flash at night, can show up otherwise unseen areas of interest, especially by flash but taken in the daytime in sunlight shows the whole garden up in glorious technicolour... beautiful to say the least!!
Old 20-March-2014, 16:05
Safe Sane Consensual

I agree that photos taken when the sun has gone down, or by flash at night, can show up otherwise unseen areas of interest, especially by flash but taken in the daytime in sunlight shows the whole garden up in glorious technicolour... beautiful to say the least!!
Early morning is often a good time for garden photography. The light is good to show any dew on the grass. You might even see the early bird trampling or tapping to get the worm.
Old 21-March-2014, 10:46
Foxy Lady

Early morning is often a good time for garden photography. The light is good to show any dew on the grass. You might even see the early bird trampling or tapping to get the worm.

Oh yes, the early bird usually gets the worm and you see a lot of trampling and tapping to encourage it out so it can be gobbled up. Although some worms are more sensible and ignore the bird's efforts, knowing very well that if they give in they will be lost forever!!
Old 21-March-2014, 12:06
Safe Sane Consensual

Oh yes, the early bird usually gets the worm and you see a lot of trampling and tapping to encourage it out so it can be gobbled up. Although some worms are more sensible and ignore the bird's efforts, knowing very well that if they give in they will be lost forever!!
Agree with you completely. With a good telephoto lens you will soon get an excellent set of pictures to show that the early bird will get the worm up first.

Beware of the

Last edited by Worldlife; 21-March-2014 at 12:32.
Old 23-March-2014, 12:18
Foxy Lady

Agree with you completely. With a good telephoto lens you will soon get an excellent set of pictures to show that the early bird will get the worm up first.

Beware of the

Old 23-March-2014, 19:58
Safe Sane Consensual

Guess that is good advice for all hermaphrodites

All earthworms are hermaphrodites, meaning that a single individual possesses both male and female reproductive organs, but self-fertilisation does not occur. On damp days in summer, earthworms surface in order to mate. During copulation, two individuals lie side by side, with their 'head' ends overlapping. The overlapping parts of their bodies become surrounded by a single mucous tube, which holds them closely together. They simultaneously secrete sperm, which passes along a groove in the body of each worm and enters a small sac in the partner. After mating, the worms separate, and the saddle begins to secrete a mucous cylinder into which eggs and sperm are released. The worm wriggles out of the cylinder, which then closes, forming a protective cocoon in which fertilisation and development of the eggs take place

What a way to die!!!

Last edited by Worldlife; 23-March-2014 at 20:18.
Old 23-March-2014, 23:08
Foxy Lady

Haha!!! I know all about worms, did a study on them for one of my assignments when I was doing my N.N.E.B. at college! You're right, they are AC/DC ... I learned loads about the humble earthworm doing that assignment!! Strange what you learn while doing a child care course!!
Old 24-March-2014, 22:01
Safe Sane Consensual

Haha!!! I know all about worms <snip>
Did you learn how to cook them? This sounds a smashing recipe.....

Wash earthworms thoroughly and place in boiling water for three minutes. Pour off water and repeat the boiling process twice. Bake on cookie sheet at 350 degrees F. for 15 minutes. Roll the worms in flour, brown in butter, add salt to taste. Add bouillon and simmer for 30 minutes. Saute onions and mushrooms in butter. Add onions and mushrooms to the worms. Stir in sour cream or yogurt. Serve over rice or noodles.
Most people shudder at the mention of earthworms for food, but they are 97 percent protein and one of the most available and healthful foods outside your door.
May I ask our earthworm expert if dropping the earthworms in boiling water is a humane way of killing them? Are they able to communicate their distress to the other earthworms awaiting execution?
Old 25-March-2014, 00:38
Foxy Lady

Hmmmm, think I'll pass on that one, I never eat anything I have to boil alive myself, I think it's cruel and I'm sure they have their own way of communicating to each other, which would be terrifying for the worms still waiting to be put in the pot!!

In cases like these I definitely believe that the means does not justify the ends... 97% protein or not, I will not stoop to the inhumane act of boiling innocent worms alive!! Anyway, if we eat all the earthworms, how are we going to get the soil in our gardens broken up, they do our gardens good so we can plant veggies and such, what would we do without them??!!
Old 25-March-2014, 04:15
Safe Sane Consensual

Hmmmm, think I'll pass on that one, I never eat anything I have to boil alive myself, I think it's cruel and I'm sure they have their own way of communicating to each other, which would be terrifying for the worms still waiting to be put in the pot!!

In cases like these I definitely believe that the means does not justify the ends... 97% protein or not, I will not stoop to the inhumane act of boiling innocent worms alive!! <snip>
Anyone who has ever boiled a lobster alive knows that when dropped into scalding water, lobsters whip their bodies wildly and scrape the sides of the pot in a desperate attempt to escape. In the journal Science, researcher Gordon Gunter described this method of killing lobsters as “unnecessary torture.”

Read more: http://www.peta.org/issues/animals-u...#ixzz2wwLS9n35
We seem to have given the punishment of boiling people alive!

As a youngster I was taken to see the limpet sheds near Southend (Leigh on Sea comes to mind). Was the screaming of limpets being boiled alive from the steam escaping from the shells - I don't think they have vocal chords.
Old 25-March-2014, 20:47
Foxy Lady

We seem to have given the punishment of boiling people alive!

As a youngster I was taken to see the limpet sheds near Southend (Leigh on Sea comes to mind). Was the screaming of limpets being boiled alive from the steam escaping from the shells - I don't think they have vocal chords.
Would prefer not to even think of things such as that!! I don't agree with any kind of cruelty to anyone or anything who can't defend themselves. We did horrific things in times past, boiling people alive being one of them, hanging, drawing and quartering being another... and most of them deserved it but the cruelty to small children and animals is inexcusable.
Old 25-March-2014, 21:35
Safe Sane Consensual

Would prefer not to even think of things such as that!! I don't agree with any kind of cruelty to anyone or anything who can't defend themselves. We did horrific things in times past, boiling people alive being one of them, hanging, drawing and quartering being another... and most of them deserved it but the cruelty to small children and animals is inexcusable.
Are you speaking as the yellow or the blue smiley?
Old 26-March-2014, 01:57
Foxy Lady

Are you speaking as the yellow or the blue smiley?
The yellow of course... would never put myself in the position of the blue one!!
Old 26-March-2014, 05:23
Safe Sane Consensual

The yellow of course... would never put myself in the position of the blue one!!
Not even if the violent whipping was replaced by gentle caressing strokes of a multi tailed soft leather whip?

Wow I might even allow myself to be a blue smiley! Phew I am getting quite excited with submissive thoughts to a person I could trust to explore with me the boundaries between pleasure and pain.

There I am prepared to give up my yellowness but would you?

Turns each?
Old 28-March-2014, 22:24
Foxy Lady

No way Jose!! I'm a definite control freak and don't trust anyone else with anything!!! Wish I could sometimes but it just isn't going to happen!!
Old 29-March-2014, 16:29
Safe Sane Consensual

Let me show you what I have in mind!

You can trust me!
Old 30-March-2014, 18:15
Foxy Lady

That would be a resounding no then!!
Old 31-March-2014, 16:55
Safe Sane Consensual

That would be a resounding no then!!
Having seen how women delighted in torturing men under the guise of charity work it was with some trepidation I even thought of being the one being punished! OK the charity do was only removing eyebrows or other selected body hair but the ladies certainly ensured their charity donations was not just a token effort!

Would you trust a person to keep to a contract of how he or she may be entitled to deal with your body or mind? Maybe natural resistance would make you a difficult subject for stage hypnosis?

Tags
battery, bt, cool, dead, deals, fake, fashion, free, happy, health, home, internet, law, lights, line, lost, make, public, security, share, shop, sound, survey, talk, tools