Old 25-December-2013, 00:26
Screamer

Default gumtree vs ebay

I tend to use both ! Gumtree mainly for advertising my services ie domestic cleaner and the odd sell for fishing gear in particular.
Ebay ! I only use for buying purposes ! mainly fishing gear and camo gear and tents..
Only once have I had a problem of buying from Ebay when 2 years ago I bought a s/h reel for 20 and found the guy refused to send it to me. having won the bid .but never got my money back from them. It appears the guy was bogus ! From what I hear this happened a lot on Ebay . But it appears they have got there act together and the buyer is more protected than ever now
Old 25-December-2013, 00:43
Formerly exstreamuser

Default Re: gumtree vs ebay

Gumtree is no use for my area. Most adverts are for locals and for local collection and my nearest city is 40 miles away. Ebay for sure though!

I think if you are a fisherman or collector of such it is mandatory to have an eBay account!

I've had my share of troubles with eBay too. I bought goods that I strongly feel were never sent but I did get a refund. I would rather have got the goods though. I won a PC for 99pence fair and square and the guy pulled out the deal. eBay were of no help there, even though what I consider was a contract was broken. The worst was when I discovered a scam relating to a used car. I tried to report this to eBay, along with evidence and it was a nightmare! I could have been anyone reporting this as I was not involved in any transaction and had merely spotted people being asked to inflate bids. They would not even take a report unless I gave my username. The form gives no place to attach evidence. The CS cannot deal with it either. I had to walk away, simply knowing that I had done what was morally right and tried my best with eBay. I'd have thought they would have been delighted to receive a report with evidence that one of their members was manipulating auctions.

On the other hand, I have had a few bargains and good deals. I can find stuff that I may need and it may even be quickly. e.g. I needed a couple of bearings for a motor and one would have thought the best place to go would be a local stockist and save any carriage. No! I forget how much they were but I had them mailed to me in a jiffy bag for say 2. I could barely drive to town for much less than that!
Old 25-December-2013, 03:52
Safe Sane Consensual

This must be an advert for Gumtree - a service that I have not used or looked at.!!!

I have had many bargains from ebay but had one consumer issue I did not sort out satisfactorily.

It was from an ebay trader with many sales and good reviews for an ex-display showroom used vacuum cleaner. When it arrived it looked as if it had been used for contract cleaning - more cosmetic damage and brush wear than our own cleaner that was five years old.

He argued that the ex-display just used in showroom clearly indicated it was used and I should not have expected a nearly new product (although the price was only discounted by about 15%)

Returned product in original packing as unsatisfactory but this vendor claimed it had been damaged in transit and refused refund. Obviously an expert manipulator

Last edited by Worldlife; 25-December-2013 at 03:53. Reason: More Christmas decorations
Old 25-December-2013, 11:20
Rambler

I use Ebay, Gumtree and Amazon, some good, some bad, in all.
Old 25-December-2013, 17:58
Safe Sane Consensual

I use Ebay, Gumtree and Amazon, some good, some bad, in all.
Originally Posted by Twinkle View Post
Have found Amazon to be best.
Most of my orders have been delivered sooner than the date quoted by the trader on the Amazon website.
Being a patient fella I am happy to use Amazon free deliveries rather than pay extra for a premium service.
Cheers

Old 27-December-2013, 01:05
Screamer

my wife has used amazon for her BHS books on horticultural thingys ! And did get a good discount on them I may order Gideons Sociology one day but its a bit of a read ie 950 pages long and yu have to read that post scripts too! which on a good day will take about 5 years to read.
But as a read its one of the best for history and cultural affairs ! Read this book at your leisure !
Old 19-February-2015, 15:48
Screamer

I've been trying to avoid Amazon after reading about some of their employment practices, especially in the US. For secondhand books I often go to Abebooks. Can take centuries to arrive though, so not recommended if you need something in a hurry.
Old 19-February-2015, 18:04
Safe Sane Consensual

Hi seasee
Agree Abebooks are very good for second-hand books - especially rarer editions.
Found their quality standards are high and its best to get a top grade secondhand book from Abebooks than a well thumbed copy from a retail outlet!
Old 20-February-2015, 10:54
Screamer

Plus this is who I imagine I'm buying from, which makes me happy to no end:

Old 26-July-2015, 10:53
Safe Sane Consensual

Default Criminal activities involving Gumtree

Recently reported incidents of:-

Purchasers visiting vendors property and using violence to seize the article that is for sale.
Vendors arranging for purchaser to visit and then using violence to grab the cash purchaser had to buy the item

Will stick to Amazon and Ebay!
Old 26-July-2015, 20:13
Rambler

Default Re: Criminal activities involving Gumtree

Recently reported incidents of:-

Purchasers visiting vendors property and using violence to seize the article that is for sale.
Vendors arranging for purchaser to visit and then using violence to grab the cash purchaser had to buy the item

Will stick to Amazon and Ebay!
Originally Posted by Worldlife View Post
My goodness, that's not good. I think I will stick to Ebay, after Amazon taking 79 from my account which I didn't authorize.
Old 27-July-2015, 09:29
Safe Sane Consensual

Default Re: Criminal activities involving Gumtree

My goodness, that's not good. I think I will stick to Ebay, after Amazon taking 79 from my account which I didn't authorize.
Originally Posted by Twinkle View Post
I am sure many people complete Gumtree purchases and sales and do not have problems.

The media do highlight those cases where things go wrong but it seems to me that the registration processes for both vendors and purchasers for Amazon and Ebay ensure greater safety for all.

With many successful purchases completed through Amazon and Ebay my only failure was an Ebay one. As about 25% discount from new I purchased an ex demonstration showroom Dyson the description being "may have cosmetic damage". When it arrived it seemed obvious it had been used for contract cleaning as brushes had much entangled matter and were worn - as were the wheels.

Sent vendors and Ebay pictures of the condition and vendor reluctantly accepted return. Used original packing for return and vendor claimed it was damaged when delivered and I should claim against courier and not him!

Worst ever internet purchase!

Tags
amazon, bad, car, cash, collection, courier, deals, failure, free, happy, internet, product, registration, reviews, scam, share