Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > News

Old 26-December-2013, 03:20
Formerly exstreamuser

Default Google Chrome Extension 'Go Away Cameron' Defeats ISP Filters

"Go Away Cameron" is a very simple Google Chrome extension, written by a Singapore based developer @nubela, which adds a button to the toolbar allowing for swift and convenient switching to a private proxy service. The purpose of this is to circumvent UK ISP's filters but it is not limited to use only in the UK and can in fact be used anywhere, allowing access to sites which have been blocked. With Chrome now having nearly 50% of the browser usage share, this is of immediate use to many.

Of course, anyone can set up and use a proxy with any browser but this little extension makes things a lot more simple and straightforward. What is being provided here is a private proxy, which does require registration and a login. It appears well considered with a premium option available offering uncapped speeds and no nags to upgrade for 1.99 per month.

I have a feeling that we may see more offerings of this sort and perhaps nubela may even write versions for other browsers.

As reported by the BBC, filters block legitimate sites and do not block those intended. Most filtering systems over the years have been like this. People may require urgent access to a site which has been inadvertently blocked? This cannot be good.
Old 31-December-2013, 21:19
Scrimper

Default Re: Google Chrome Extension 'Go Away Cameron' Defeats ISP Filters

Have they done one for Firefox users? I don't like Chrome myself.
A part dropped from the workbench will roll to a degree of un-reachability proportional to its importance.
Old 01-January-2014, 03:15
Formerly exstreamuser

Default Re: Google Chrome Extension 'Go Away Cameron' Defeats ISP Filters

Not specifically yet but I do feel it is only a matter of time. Besides, there are already a number of proxy extensions for Firefox.

I do prefer Firefox myself but Chrome and similar hold the biggest market share currently.

Tags
bbc, forward, google, isp, registration, share, speeds, twitter