Old 10-September-2012, 14:04
Rambler

Angry Widows update

I.E.8 Windows live update just never installs. KB2434419

Help on this appreciated.
Old 10-October-2013, 11:36
Rambler

Default Re: Widows update

None of the I.E. or widows vista security updates will install!
Old 11-October-2013, 10:47
Optimistic Curmudgeon

Have you run a thorough antivirus scan, a Malwarebytes scan and a boot sector scan to eliminate some kind of bug in the works ?

If so, what about a system restore to an earlier date ?
Old 11-October-2013, 11:29
Rambler

Yes centaur, done all that. Looking for new comp, today. Although I think it might be. I.E8 Can't install I.E.9 same problem.
Old 13-October-2013, 00:12
Optimistic Curmudgeon

Try googling 'repair ie8' to try and get a 'clean' basis to then update to ie9. I assume you're on either Vista or W7 ?
Old 13-October-2013, 09:31
Rambler

Thanks centaur, I will try that and yes windows Vista.
Old 17-October-2013, 10:55
Optimistic Curmudgeon

Any luck ?
Old 17-October-2013, 11:20
Rambler

No nothing works, thanks centaur, going to look at new comps again on Friday, never did like this vista one!
Old 25-October-2013, 16:42
Screamer

Agree vista sucks. Re updates not happening have you tried going to updates through control panel and manually checking what are available? from recollection some updates used to require that you tick a box to agree before they would actually update. I have unstuck many a bunch up of updates on many people's pc's that way
Regards
Old 25-October-2013, 21:04
Rambler

Thumbs up Re: Widows update

Agree vista sucks. Re updates not happening have you tried going to updates through control panel and manually checking what are available? from recollection some updates used to require that you tick a box to agree before they would actually update. I have unstuck many a bunch up of updates on many people's PC's that way
Regards
Originally Posted by ronb62 View Post
Yes Ron, I've done everything possible. Not to worry, just bought new PC. My it will take me ages to learn it, windows 8 Microsoft do make things hard when they update windows! On old one atm. I appreciate all help from this forum. Its great.
Old 16-December-2013, 00:49
Formerly exstreamuser

Vista > Win8 is kinda like out of the frying-pan and into the fire.

Tip: Every second M$ OS is $£^%*&(!

The date of this coincides with problems with the Windows Update service for older machines. If you still have the machine, it may be worth turning on automatic updates and just leaving it for a while. By a while, I mean one to forty-eight hours. You may just find they start to trickle in. Once they work, it is fine again but very slow.
Old 16-December-2013, 10:49
Rambler

Sorted problem with old, OS. Set it back to original setting to sell it.
Old 16-December-2013, 11:42
Safe Sane Consensual

This is all too technical for me!

I thought I might be able to offer my support and condolences in this "Widows Update" topic.
Old 16-December-2013, 14:00
Screamer

Vista > Win8 is kinda like out of the frying-pan and into the fire.

Tip: Every second M$ OS is $£^%*&(!

The date of this coincides with problems with the Windows Update service for older machines. If you still have the machine, it may be worth turning on automatic updates and just leaving it for a while. By a while, I mean one to forty-eight hours. You may just find they start to trickle in. Once they work, it is fine again but very slow.
Originally Posted by exstreamuser View Post
Bought a laptop with Vista. So BAD MS should have given all Vista owners a free upgrade to W7. W8 is way better than Vista, it just takes a lot of getting used to. W8.1 goes some way to addressing the "start button" and program button loss W8.2 goes the next step and will put it back I believe. Its like having two ways of running your machine, basically if you have touch screen or not. Learning the tricks of going to corners with finger/mouse and also using the windows key on your keyboard to toggle between modes are the first ones to get under your belt
Old 16-December-2013, 22:38
Rambler

I have W8.1 now, downloaded the classic shell star button, as could not get on with all the apps. Not sure if W8.2 will mess this up just have to wait and see.
Old 17-December-2013, 13:37

Thumbs down Re: Widows update

Amongst other things, W8.1 has removed backup!
Otherwise it's fine.
Old 17-December-2013, 13:51
Rambler

I know making it awkward for me!
Old 22-December-2013, 15:13
Trance Addict

Not experienced Windows 8 and don't intend to, everything here runs Windows 7 and if I have to buy a new laptop I'll wipe the hard driv and will run with Windows 7.
Old 22-December-2013, 15:19
Rambler

Probably the best thing to do Behemoth, even Wmedia player is not compatible with 8.1
I know there are other players, just drives me nuts. Especially as its, MS own program!
Old 14-January-2014, 18:00

News! Re: Widows update

From The Register
Microsoft to RIP THE SHEETS off Windows 9 aka 'Threshold' in April
Time to bury the Windows 8/8.1 past, report claims
By Gavin Clarke, 13th January 2014

Microsoft will map out its plans for the successor to Windows 8.1 – which might be named Windows 9 – at a company event in April, we're told.

Microsoft will start a discussion around the next iteration of its client operating system at its Build Conference on 2 to 4 April in San Francisco, California.

"Threshold", believed to be the code name for a wave of Microsoft updates which includes the newest client OS, is expected to start shipping a year later, in April 2015. The whole process will purportedly be similar to the Blue/Windows 8.1 update wave.

There’s no name for the client version of Threshold yet, but according to Windows blogger Paul Thurrott, the “current thinking” inside Microsoft is to go with Windows 9 – the idea being to distance the company and the client operating system from the experience that has been Windows 8/8.1.

Among the Windows features expected in Threshold are the long-awaited Start menu that was ripped from Windows 8 as part of the company’s march to tablets.

Also, MetroNotro – the touch interface that’s the signature of Windows 8/8.1 – will be updated.

It is expected that Metro apps – meaning those downloaded from the Windows Store – will be allowed to run on the classic Windows desktop.

Also, the Metro language is going to be fixed and "matured".

A Microsoft spokesperson told The Reg the company had "nothing share" on Threshold.
A very Terry Windows

All eyes will be on Threshold for a number of reasons.

It’ll be the first major release of Windows under operating systems group vice president Terry Myerson and since the massive Microsoft re-organisation intended to put devices first. Before the re-org, Myerson led the Windows Phone group.

There was Windows 8.1, of course, but work on this was already well under way by the time of re-organisation and Myerson's ascension in July last year.

The Threshold wave is expected to provide updates to all three Windows operating systems platforms: Windows, Windows Phone and Xbox One. The changes will see them share more elements and bring the operating systems closer together.

Threshold is significant for another reason, too, and this points to why the final name selected for the client will be so interesting.

Windows 8/8.1 does not appear to be being picked up by consumers or businesses. Microsoft lost a year on Windows 8 as OEMs didn’t deliver PCs or tabs, while consumers stayed away from machines as businesses upgraded to Windows 7 instead.

One reason for this is Metro, the hated interface that tore both users and devs away from the familiar desktop user experience and usual way of building apps.

The other was simply the small number of Windows 8 machines available to buy.

By 1 January, Windows 8/8.1 had scraped up just 13 per cent market share. In September 2013, the pair were on 10.19 per cent - and that was with early adopters using Windows 8.1, because this was the month before it was made generally available.

With this heritage, it’ll be interesting to see just how far Microsoft decides to go in breaking away from the Windows 8/8.1 nomenclature. ®

Tags
419, bad, company, free, furniture, googling, home, key, laptop, lost, make, offer, phone, player, screen, security, share, slow, windows, xbox