Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > Hardware > ADSL Router Mods

Old 20-February-2007, 17:28
markkyboy

Default Re: Unlocked Firmware For Bt Business Hub (2wire) 2700hgv

dRONE my man, have a look back thru the beginning of the thread, everything you need to know is right here in this forum with regard to flashing your router.
Here's a start, then you're on yer own!
In your address bar in Internet Explorer type or cut n paste (or click the link) this:-
http://home/upgrade or http://gateway.2wire.net/tech/upgrade.html
then find the .2sp thru the browser in upgrade, then follow the prompts.
Or - if you still aren't sure - go back to the very first thread in this forum by Unlokia - http://www.the-scream.co.uk/forums/t22658.html? the man who can!
Good luck
Markkyboy

Last edited by markkyboy; 20-February-2007 at 17:44.
Old 20-February-2007, 18:42
moose999

Mind you, in the detailed log, power 4 is shown as 100, power 2 as 50, there is no mw value. it might be 400mw.
Yep, i have the SBC page that looks like the BT page. I am not using the router as a router, only as an access point. As such, there is nothing in the WAN port, just my LAN in one of the ethernet ports. I have changed the original ISP settings , which were an SBC customer's. There were no "problems" with the flash reported by the webapp. Maybe it needs WAN access to SBC to kick the 11 channel, 10 power setting, superwireless in, rather than my 3 channel, 4 power setting version.
Originally Posted by Moose999 View Post
Old 20-February-2007, 21:50
appleby

Hi
I have been using a BT2700HGV on talktalk it works fine except when I access my mail on BT.Yahoo the first one opens anything else and I get This page cannot be displayed Any help out there to cure this problem
I have tried to load recovery 425 3 times it changes to sbc instead of BT but the power levels stay at 4 I even tried the other update found on this site reverted back to BT with selection in the wireless side but still I got the email problem ANY HELP???In both cases I have removed the tick on remote
Old 21-February-2007, 11:04
m-tek

Mine only stated 4 power levels on the router page . Go here http://home/managment and down the left hand side "wireless" and it should go up to 10 ......
Old 21-February-2007, 22:55
appleby

Hi m-tek
I did check on home/managment it was still 4 I give up on that what I need some advise of how to sort out the problem I have with my email using the Bt 2700HGV I get to my mail open a mail but that is it, I cannot open another or delete or use inbox. It goes to (This page cannot be displayed ):but with the speedtouch no problem except I loose the wireless part. Nobody seems to want to take the problem on and try some solutions, possible finish chucking the Bt item in the bin
Old 22-February-2007, 13:46
m-tek

What emal are u using ... webmail or pop3 ...I only ask because im on talktalk and have no problems ...
Old 22-February-2007, 15:59
rockhopper

anyone know how to restore the original BT firmware for this router?

cheers rh
Old 22-February-2007, 16:18
pab

I'm not sure why, or what it's doing, but note that the router *MUST* be connected to your adsl / broadband before the power increase from 4 to 10 will take effect. I just upgraded my firmware with the router disconnected from the adsl, and was left with a wireless maximum of 4. Connected it to adsl, re-flashed, and had a wireless of 10. Presumably it's getting some configuration data from the net somewhere.

So, if you're using the 2700 only as an access point try temporarily connecting it to your broadband service, then upgrading the firmware. That way you should get the full wireless potential.
Old 23-February-2007, 11:16
St3vem

Hi All,

I'm not sure if I'm being blonde here, but here goes.

My ISP is Pipex and I've managed to get hold of a 2700. I've flashed it OK to the firmware on the 1st page, but wanted to play around with the voice option, so downloaded the voice firmware and uploaded that.

The flash went OK, but when I tried to enter my isp username on the BB setup screen, I was told the PPP username was incorrect...I know it's not, as I've entererd it loads of times before and also checked it off against the letter from the ISP. It goes USERNAME@xtremeX.pipex.net

It seemed to defaut to BTClick...Am I being blonde or does this mean you have to be on BTClick/BT of some description to be able to use the voice firmware??

TIA

Steve
Old 23-February-2007, 14:23
appleby

What emal are u using ... webmail or pop3 ...I only ask because im on talktalk and have no problems ...
Originally Posted by m-tek View Post
Hi there
thanks for answering I am on webmail I have given up on trying to get my mail I have gone back to using the speedtouch for now
Old 23-February-2007, 14:29
appleby

the only thing that has worked up to now is the update reinstall_voice_adsl.5-29-107-12.2sp the other recovery never came up with any differenet power levels
Old 23-February-2007, 21:11
moose999

I'm not sure why, or what it's doing, but note that the router *MUST* be connected to your adsl / broadband before the power increase from 4 to 10 will take effect. I just upgraded my firmware with the router disconnected from the adsl, and was left with a wireless maximum of 4. Connected it to adsl, re-flashed, and had a wireless of 10. Presumably it's getting some configuration data from the net somewhere.

So, if you're using the 2700 only as an access point try temporarily connecting it to your broadband service, then upgrading the firmware. That way you should get the full wireless potential.
Originally Posted by pab View Post
Thanks a lot mate! *Moose hunts for ADSL connection.....*
Old 23-February-2007, 23:41
psahuusa

Thumbs up Re: Unlocked Firmware For Bt Business Hub (2wire) 2700hgv

anyone know how to restore the original BT firmware for this router?

cheers rh
Originally Posted by rockhopper View Post
to go back to BT, down load 5.29.107.12 thats the latest FW from BT here is the web site to down FW: http://rapidshare.com/files/14057700...-29-107-12.2sp
PsahuUsa
Old 24-February-2007, 09:59
m-tek

Appleby

Sounds like its a browser problem to me .. try setting up a pop3 using outlook ..Should work

m-tek
Old 24-February-2007, 10:02

m-tek why dont you register on the forum for your username ?
Old 24-February-2007, 11:12
m-tek

O.K then !!!!
Old 24-February-2007, 16:54
pab

It appears at first glance that upgrading to the 2wire firmware as described in the first post in this thread loses the VOIP functionality but this is not, in fact, the case - it just becomes a little harder to find. Try http://192.168.1.254/?PAGE=V00 (substituting your own router's IP as appropriate, and noting that the last two chars are zeros, not 'oh's).

This PAGE= trick works for other things too, and can access pages which are not otherwise available. I haven't had time to investigate this properly as yet, but have established that pages seem to be grouped by function, with the first alpha (the 'V' in the above url) being the function group, and the following two numerics being the page within the group. So far I have identified the following groups:

A - The router's System pages
B - Broadband link pages
C - Home Network pages
E - Firewall pages
H - Wizards (set-up wizard at H02)
J - 2Wire management console
K - Manual upgrade pages
M - M01 has a Java applet which shows speed graphs for the broadband connection.
V - VOIP pages
Z - There's something here, but I'm getting "not authorised" messages when I try to access them.

I suspect access to the 'Z' pages may be controlled by the key code entered when the router is set up. I'm still using the BT key, so if someone with the 'manual setup' key would like to have a look and report back...?

Similarly, if anyone finds any interesting hidden pages is would be interesting to know.
Old 24-February-2007, 19:08
St3vem

I've had a look at those links; You can access the VOIP settings page when using the firmware from the first page, although there is nowhere to enter your VOIP service provider unless I'm missing something.

Also - Anyone got any method of using a Non BT ISP with the original firmware?
Old 24-February-2007, 20:59
ydrol

The BT firmware appears to run a Unix/Linux like OS. It certainly has /tmp /etc/ssh etc.
Doing a strings on the firmware reveals a script that uses two commands to configure most stuff. cmc, modprov, devprod , netprod,

Infact, in Linux or Cygwin, just do strings <firmware> | egrep 'prov|echo|cmc| #' will reveal lots of interesting stuff:

Eg

cmc -set mgmt acs_url 0 "https://cwmp.cms.smehomehubrms.bt.com"
cmc -set mgmt keycode 0 528Y-27G4-A222-22BJ-B22V

and how to set the qos for the SIP IP Addresses I think... 'qosprov'

It also seems to set up a different network (192.168.2.x) for the VOIP ports.

However there is no telnet port and could find any injection exploits
Old 25-February-2007, 15:22
j2o

Just got a 2700HGV from e-bay and used the DNS poisoning trick on it. It's using firmware v4.25.33 and the manual set up activation key. After playing around with it have a couple of queries if anyone can help:

- previous posts mention content screening - does anyone have an address for this as I can't find it in any menus etc?

- can it do MAC address filtering or WPA2/WPA-AES in the BT firmware or any of the other firmwares posted here?

- a previous poster mentioned that they couldn't re-flash the firmware after re-loading the BT one (5-29-107-12) - is this a common problem?

Thanks in advance, and thanks to everyone for this really useful thread, there seems to be so little info out there on this gear.
Old 26-February-2007, 16:01
Screamager

Just got a 2700HGV from e-bay and used the DNS poisoning trick on it. It's using firmware v4.25.33 and the manual set up activation key. After playing around with it have a couple of queries if anyone can help:

- previous posts mention content screening - does anyone have an address for this as I can't find it in any menus etc?

- can it do MAC address filtering or WPA2/WPA-AES in the BT firmware or any of the other firmwares posted here?

- a previous poster mentioned that they couldn't re-flash the firmware after re-loading the BT one (5-29-107-12) - is this a common problem?

Thanks in advance, and thanks to everyone for this really useful thread, there seems to be so little info out there on this gear.
Originally Posted by j2o View Post
DNS poisoning trick is old hat, useless and you are better off using recovery_425 to flash the router. As for not being able to downgrade your router, back to older versions (SBC unlocked etc) that is complete nonsense, as I have downgraded from that *very* same version.... TWICE!!!.

Content screening is disabled as a function, when the SBC (unlocked) firmware is flashed in; you have to make a compromise - unlocked and NO screening, or locked with BTs screening software. The 5-29-107-12 firmware is *extremely* unstable by the way, and I really don't care what anyone else says about it, it is completely unstable.
Old 28-February-2007, 14:26
cookingwok

Please can you tell me how to flash the 270hgv with the unzipped file! I am not yet a geek!
Best wishes,
Richard
Old 28-February-2007, 16:23
Screamager

Please can you tell me how to flash the 270hgv with the unzipped file! I am not yet a geek!
Best wishes,
Richard
Originally Posted by cookingwok View Post
Yes - go to page 1 of this thread, and there are full and comprehensive instructions on how to achieve this. However, if it is simply that you wish to know how to get into the flash-upgrade interface, then click here ---> http://gateway.2wire.net/tech/upgrade.html <--- and it will ask you for the flash file (.2SP) there ya go!!.

Regards
Old 28-February-2007, 21:03
Gormo

Default Re: ### Unlocked Firmware For Bt Business Hub (2wire) 2700hgv ###

Hi Mongoose,

Thanks for the tip. I did manage to get up and running after hassling 2wire support (some of their people just tell you to talk to BT but keep trying).

The problem with accessing secure sites is "generally a result of double stacked firewalls" - changing the settings on either the router firewall settings or Windows wil solve this.
Make sure you have one firewall active for protection.

I could get no answer on the 4 power settings (should be 10) or reduced channels but then it all works well.

Setup with Talk Talk manually so can help if needed.
Originally Posted by kchris View Post

Have you got the setting for Talk Talk? If so, could you please post them?
Old 01-March-2007, 18:41
Gormo

Ok guys,

I flashed my Router successfully and got it working with the TalkTalk settings. I can surf the net via a LAN cable but I can not seem to get the Wireless to work.

The settings come up on the management console and it is enabled but yet nothing.

Does anyone have any ideas?

J
Old 02-March-2007, 00:25
Mongoose

DNS poisoning trick is old hat, useless and you are better off using recovery_425 to flash the router.
Originally Posted by unlokia View Post
In what way useless? I have been using this for months now, my router is on 24 hours a day and solid as a rock, as have several others I have got off Ebay for family and friends.
Old 02-March-2007, 20:27
Mongoose

Originally Posted by j2o View Post
To get content screening active, you have to run the router once, logging in to your ISP, without the DNS poisoning in place. This allows the router to contact the BT servers once and activate the content screening. You will then have a new menu item at the top of the home page on your router. You can then do the DNS poisoning and content screening stays running.
Old 04-March-2007, 19:27
j2o

Thanks for the info unlokia & Mongoose.

Apart from the extra radio power, I can't see the point of using other firmware when the simple DNS poisoning does the job, plus you get the extra BT features (apart from the VOIP which is useless on all firmware anyway).

Are there any other benefits to using the SBC firmware that I'm missing?

Otherwise, I'm going to stick with the original BT firmware/DNS poisoning for the moment and I can use the Access Control feature to perform a kind of MAC filtering. Whilst these things aren't undefeatable, it makes things a little more difficult for most!
Old 06-March-2007, 13:50
Alex Atkin

The BT firmware appears to run a Unix/Linux like OS. It certainly has /tmp /etc/ssh etc.
Doing a strings on the firmware reveals a script that uses two commands to configure most stuff. cmc, modprov, devprod , netprod,

Infact, in Linux or Cygwin, just do strings <firmware> | egrep 'prov|echo|cmc| #' will reveal lots of interesting stuff:

Eg

cmc -set mgmt acs_url 0 "https://cwmp.cms.smehomehubrms.bt.com"
cmc -set mgmt keycode 0 528Y-27G4-A222-22BJ-B22V

and how to set the qos for the SIP IP Addresses I think... 'qosprov'

It also seems to set up a different network (192.168.2.x) for the VOIP ports.

However there is no telnet port and could find any injection exploits
Originally Posted by ydrol View Post
Does it do a check on the firmware to make sure its not corrupt or been modified?

Even if it does, depending on how it works has anyone tried simply hex editing the firmware file to change some of those values you mentioned? Perhaps you can hack it to default to the right VoIP settings?

I just got one of these routers off eBay after reading about it being good for longish lines. On a speedtouch 330 modem I have connected up to 5500ish more or less stable during the day but during the evening it resync nearer 4500. Lately its getting lower and lower so hopefully this router will give the exchange a good kick up the backside because for ages it was stable at 4567 which was perfect for the 4000 BRAS profile.

One other thing and I know it might sound stupid but I had to ask. Can we be sure that the remote management is blocked off in the unlocked firmware? Just wouldnt be funny if the US company its from randomly hit one of our routers and changed the settings accidentally. I havent seen much explanation on how that sort of stuff works in this router. Perhaps I will understand it all more once I see how the router actually works in person.
Old 07-March-2007, 18:58
ant080

Hi guys and gals,

I have just done the upgrade as shown below and I have a solid red light on the power, broadband and internet lights.

PS I have configured mine to freeserve and it works a treat, well it did untill I upgraded it.

Any ideas on why the lights are now red, I must point out that it is dead as far as I can tell, I cant even access it via the ip,

Cheers Ant

As they say in Llandough, chow chow for now.

Tags
2wire, broadband, bt, bt business hub, connection, dhcp, dns, email, firmware, flash, hgv, home, hub, internet, key, lights, lock, orange, phone, registration, router, screen, settings, share, software, sound, speed, speedtester, tiscali, voip, web, wireless