Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > Networking

Old 30-March-2004, 14:38
ShelaghG

I changed the network properties on my PC so it wasn't set to a static ip address and I can ping the router and get the admin screen up in a browser Now I just need to gigure out how to install the modem driver and get the internet connection working!
Old 30-March-2004, 14:59

ah - well done

this networking lark seems hard to start with but it's simple once it's setup

Sil

PS, I don't use DHCP on ipcop - as I assign all the IPs manually - which is just as easy, I assumed you were using DHCP, either will work fine (so long as the IP / mask is correct)
Old 30-March-2004, 15:44

just to add to post for future ipcop 1.4 looks like it will need kdq62p2.eni file from thompson for the speedtouch usb modems.

im running beta3 atm and it used to use the mgmt.o file but that didnt work gave me 512 errors uploaded the above and it worked straight away.

http://www.speedtouch.com/support.htm is where you can dl the file select the linux driver 330k i think.

sorry for sideways scroll didnt want to squash text too much
Old 30-March-2004, 16:26
ghuzz

hi sil, will PCI 10/100 MBIT cards do ? My modem isn't compliant, it's a world micromodem HSP 56 k, so I'll need to buy a hardware modem.

cheers ghuzz
Old 30-March-2004, 16:29

yep 10mb pci net cards will be fine
Old 30-March-2004, 16:50
ShelaghG

Default Bugger Me!

I got it working I got on a lot faster once I remembered to disable Norton IS

Old 30-March-2004, 18:59

congrats ShelaghG
Old 30-March-2004, 19:56

well done!

remember to install the fixes/updates - I think fixes 9 is out now

Sil
Old 30-March-2004, 20:17

btw - now it's installed and working you can update us in a week or 2 with a quick review

Sil

PS, @ ghuzz, yep what scoobs said
Old 31-March-2004, 13:39
ShelaghG

How do I get static ip addresses working? I changed the properties on tcp/ip to give it a stitic ip address (192.168.1.11) and named the router PC ip address as the gateway (192.168.1.1) and could connect to nothing! is there something I need to do in ip cop too (apart from disabling DHCP)?
Old 31-March-2004, 13:45

have a read here screen shot @ the bottom just replace my ips with yours

http://www.the-scream.co.uk/forums/t12764.html?

gateway and primary dns is set to ipcop box
Old 31-March-2004, 13:48
ShelaghG

Ah - I didn't set the ip address at the very bottom *sigh* I'll try again. Is it my connection or is half the internet broken this afternoon?
Old 31-March-2004, 13:50

nope - you don't need to disable DHCP,.

set the range on DHCP to be different (since each PC must have a unique IP addr),. say - set the DHCP range to be

192.168.1.100 to

(or you can simply turn it off - which I have)

then make sure no other PC has the same IP (turn them all off or disconnect them to start)

setup the static IP as normal with the same mask as IPCop is using (login to ipcop and type ifconfig -a to see what it's using)

set the DNS to point to IPCops dns proxy (i.e. same addr as IPCop green gateway)

is harder to explain than do

look at it another way - setup a box or boxes to all use DHCP - then reboot or type

ipconfig /renew

then

ipconfig /all

which prints out what settings they have - then set the same settings in static and it should work (but use a different end part of the IP so you don't use the same one as DHCP gives -

i.e. if DHCP gives you 192.168.1.11 then use 192.168.1.51

ask again if I havent explained it too well!

Sil
Old 31-March-2004, 13:50

mines ok but not sure how this fire has affected the net as some sites are a bit slow
Old 31-March-2004, 14:01
ShelaghG

It works It was the DNS ip address that I was missing. it had to be something simple I even got it working on the Win98 PC without a diagram
Old 01-April-2004, 16:00
ShelaghG

Ever since I hooked this up my connection's been lousy Most site's don't load in my browser 1st time, about 2/3 will load eventually on a refresh and the rest seem completely inaccessible. I have no idea if it's the router PC but it seems suspicious as it only started yesterday. Where do I look in IP Cop to see if it's blocking stuff? The firewall log isn't exactly user-friendly!
Old 01-April-2004, 16:05

bit hard to tell as that fire in manchester has affected alot of services and if its been rerouted could be overloaded till bt fix all the lines.

On your connection on ip cop did you set it to automatic to obtain dns from ip
Old 01-April-2004, 16:11
ShelaghG

Yes. it picks up the ip address from the ISP. I did wonder about the Manchester fire but haven't heard of anyone else having problems. It's driving me nuts Today I had an SSH session open into the dedicated server I rent but could only load half the sites on it in the browser. It's like half the internet has gone to sleep
Old 01-April-2004, 16:15

do a traceroute

in dos window:

tracert <site name>

e.g. tracert www.google.com

ipcop should be quite stable etc but you can always try rebooting it just to see if it makes any difference?

Sil
Old 03-April-2004, 17:48
ShelaghG

Running traceroute results in "Unable to resolve target system name" This does seem to have improved over the last day or 2 and is happening less, but is still happening
Old 03-April-2004, 21:53

What DNS settings are you using on the PCs and also on IPcop?

You can try assigning the ISP DNS direct to the PCs if you haven't got it set like that (i.e. assign them manually)

Sil

PS, are you running 'personal firewalls' on the PCs ?
Old 03-April-2004, 22:08
ShelaghG

the DNS on the PCs is set to the router PC and the DNS on the router PC is set to the ISP. I'm running Norton IS on my PC but have disabled it - it doesn't seem to make any difference either way.
Old 03-April-2004, 22:30
Screamager

When it happens next time try pinging some sites by using their ip addresses and then try by using their hostnames.

If you can ping using the ip, but not the hostname then chanves are it's a DNS issue.

If you can't ping either then it's a dead connection, which could be due to either the modems connection to the ipcop box (usb?) or some other networking type issue.

'Slo
Old 03-April-2004, 23:08
ShelaghG

I'm at work now and have realised that the main site I was having problems with today really is offline I know they have had DNS issues on their server recently which were supposed to have been sorted out but I guess it's not resolved yet.
Old 03-April-2004, 23:10
Screamager

We're not talking about ShareReator are we?

'Slo
Old 03-April-2004, 23:12
ShelaghG

Well I'm not - I haven't got a clue what it is!
Old 03-April-2004, 23:20
Screamager

Ahhh, coincidence then. I was having problems with a site today that has announced DNS related isues of late.....just thought it might have been the same

No matter

'Slo

P.S. Oooooh 4000 posts
Old 08-April-2004, 21:29
geaves

Question PPOA

Sil,

I have been reading this thread with some interest, have used Smoothwall through dial up b 4 I switched to adsl. Now I have a DLink504 and was wondering about using a firewall again instead of just NAT.

I've never heard of IPCop so I have spent some time reading the online manuals.

The Dlink info allows you to use the router as a bridge as you suggested in one of your posts, this would then reduce 'the burden' on the router; but one would require software to make one's internet connection.

IPCop says you can set up PPPOE and PPTP, my ISP uses PPPOA and requires a username and password to facilitate the connection, before issuing a DHCP ip address and default gateway.

Does IPCop support this? or have I missed something in the manual? (highly probable).

Thanks
Geoff
Old 08-April-2004, 22:33

Hi Geoff,

Welcome to TS!

Well - I guess the short answer is I don't know.

I guess the dlink gives ethernet out on it's LAN side and shouldn't require drivers installed on a directly connected PC, even when operating in bridge or modem mode.

A quick search on google - http://www.zensupport.co.uk/ADSL/Rou...sp?URL=default and looking at the routedIP setup. It seems you can still enter all the login details into the DLink and then IPCop doesn't need any login details at all entering (which is the same as if you were connecting to a cable modem). Since NAT is turned off the IPCop will get the public IP on it's WAN (red whatever) side and the DNS will be setup by DHCP, IPCop will handle all the NAT / firewall routing stuff - in theory!

Only way to know is to try it

Sil
Old 09-April-2004, 16:31
geaves

I'm downloading the iso as I type this, one of your comments that interested me was to use the router as a bridge.

I've looked at your google search, and basically this is ok if you have public ip address from your isp, these are usually available but at an extra charge either monthly or yearly.

Reading more from ipcop and smoothwall it appears to set this up how I'm thinking, would be to set RED nic as if it was using dialup or ISDN, so the username and password supplied by isp is set in ipcop. Then set the router as a bridge. The only thing I cannot find in the ipcop manual is a reference to PPPOA only PPPOE, this is in the installation manual not the admin.

However I still have my original m/c from from smoothwall so I just might have a go. I must admit ipcop requires a lower spec m/c than the current version of smoothwall, which is good as I've borrowed some bits from this old m/c.

Have you seen Pizzabox? internet gateway in a pizza box, uses a flash rom, but only one nic and no room for more.

Geoff

Tags
adsl, aol, bt, cable, compare, connection, dead, deals, dns, file sharing, firmware, free, hacking, isp, make, modem, nat, network, router, share, sharing, slow, software, sound, speed, speedtouch, thomson, virgin, voyager, web, windows, wireless, zyxel