Old 18-March-2004, 00:02
sbrownlie2676

Default nIDEvent 6 exception!

Anybody seen this error on win98 before.....?

nIDEvent 6 Exception!

It is appearing when my new wireless Netgear WG311v2 is running, and seems to be crashing the configuration utility, however it does not affect the wireless network, only the config tool.

Anyone got any ideas....?
Old 20-March-2004, 18:24
stuartpc

I have the same problem. Seems to install OK, but get that error message. Running W98SE.

If anyone has any ideas would also appreciate some guidance.
Old 21-March-2004, 20:55
sbrownlie2676

stuart have you tried to ping your router / other wireless pc?

As when i tried this i only got one successful response and 3 timed out's.

I have gotten round it by going to win2k, as a reformat and clean install didn't help either.

P.S. It was a Tiny PC.
Old 21-March-2004, 21:24
stuartpc

The original WLANCFG5 nIDEvent 6 exception problem happened every time I booted up when the router wasn't installed. Don't know if it's something to do with it looking for a network and can't find one but I can get it to fail every time now by just powering the router off!

Problem has now gone into "inconsistent" mode. Sometimes happens when booting system, sometimes doesn't.

Sometimes WLANCFG5 causes fatal error after a while and systems closes the programe down. Don't know if this is network dropping.

When it's OK I can connect to the router OK (to configure, etc).

I hope all these problems go away when I actually get my service activated later this week!
Old 22-March-2004, 20:28
sbrownlie2676

I don't think they will as I was trying to correct this problem on a live adsl circuit.

Netgear were no help whatsoever and could not offer any suggestions other than an Antivirus, although i tried explaining that this was the ONLY program installed.

I had a similar scenario, even thought the smart configuration utility crashed, the wireless link was still functioning, so in essence it is not failing totally. However if i needed to change any network config for the wireless (wep etc) i would not have been able to.

Who knows??? but as i mentioned in a previous post, i have bit the bullet and upgraded to win2k with no such problems.

Good luck mate!
Old 31-March-2004, 21:59
stuartpc

Mr SB,

Got this reply from NETGEAR:

"Are you using windows 98 first edition or second? First edition will not work. Also make sure you are not using any firewall software such as zonealarm or norton internet security.
If you dont have that try removing and reinstalling the stack, this
sounds like you have a corrupt networking file".

So, will try a couple fo things as I have Zonealarm.

By the way, if the wlancfg5 config app does fall over you can just restart it (open the wlancfg5.exe file in the NETGEAR Program folder).

Like you the link stays up anyway and I have no need for many re-configs so I'm not too worried.

Thanks.
Old 01-April-2004, 22:34
sbrownlie2676

HI there Stuart, I totally agree with the wlancfg 5 program error.

However, as i was encountering this problem on a clean install of Windows 98, it must have been this stack error you mentioned.

I have found Netgear no help with this situation, hence i upgraded to win2k.

Good luck!!!

Old 29-April-2004, 04:59
SteveM

Has anyone been able to resolve this 98 issue yet? I am seeing the same wlancfg 5 program error on my fresh install of 98. It doesn't prevent using the link, but it is a major annoyance. I also have problems shutting down at times. Like everyone else, I have hetgear support to be worthless.

Thanks

SteveM
Old 20-May-2004, 19:49
jono

Default Nightmare Router

I hope someone can help me out here cause it seems like negear are just making excuses.

I bought a brandnew DG834G wireless router and 5 netgear wg311 v2 pci cards, all machines have the original xphome O/S installed- Norton 2004 and the latest xp service pack's = updates
folowed the manual for installation and setup all was fine until reeboot and then this error appears on all 5 computers

"faulting apllication WLANCFG5.exe version 1.0.0.10 module WLANDLL.dll 1.0.0.14 fault address 0x00006e08."
Followed by a box that says niD event 6 exception
on looking in the event log in xp, the error is very similar to the above faulting application.

After closing the error down the netgear smart config util closes
from the quick launch and then thats it no connection no ping no
nothing. I frigged about removing the driver uninstalled and removed the pci card and started over
same again on all computers, so whats ganning on.

Ive upgraded the firmware to the latest and that monged out leaving me to use the revovery util (f**kin Mare)

Hope anyone can advice
TA
Old 20-July-2004, 09:06
Sharky

I'm having the same problem with Windows ME. How do you fix it? Tech support was WORTHLESS!!!!!!

Please help!!!

netgear wg311 v2 pci card
Old 26-September-2004, 15:43
taron

Hello.
The "nIDEvent 6" come if you have no chance to connect to the router or access point.
Old 05-June-2007, 19:32
BoJaKa

Unhappy Re: nIDEvent 6 exception!

I'm having the same problem with Windows ME. How do you fix it? Tech support was WORTHLESS!!!!!!

Please help!!!

netgear wg311 v2 pci card
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
Having the exact same problem with XP =(
Old 03-September-2012, 16:00

Default Re: nIDEvent 6 exception!

nIDEvent 6 is a message that produces great frustration if you try to "fix' your network interface parameters using "properties" access.

I have found an immediate solution. Just "uninstall" your Network Card, reboot, and re-install it.

This will get you back on line.

When I studied this I found that after checking all the aspects of the card set up, the PC would still not "communicate" at all, and I noticed that the signal was simply "gone". There was no evidence by scanning for networks that any were out there!

To me this indicates that the router had been "instructed" to *NOT* communicate with the MAC address of my PC. (censorship?)

I did not have the time to check to see if changing the MAC address would work, but it might do. In any case, installing the Network card should get you going again. Be sure to reboot between uninstalling the net work card and re-installing it.

GL.

Cpt. RISU http://teamrisu.webs.com/

Tags
adsl, car, cards, connection, dg834g, firmware, internet, line, make, netgear, network, offer, router, security, software, windows, wireless, zonealarm