Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > Virgin Media

Old 27-August-2005, 13:45
adie_gibson

Angry Virgin Broadband Disconnecting

Well its like this .
What the HELL is going on ,I have had my BB conection for a few weeks and no problems .But today it keeps disconnecting and reconnecting every five minutes or so .Please is anyone else suffering with this ,getting a bit pigged off with it.
Old 27-August-2005, 13:48

Default Re: Virgin Broadband Disconnecting

Usb modem ? could be set to power save or you could have it set to disconect after x mins of idle on the connection settings.
Old 27-August-2005, 13:55
adie_gibson

Hi Scoobs, problem only started happening since about 11.00 O clock today . My usb modem is always on and when I run Dr speedtouch diagnostics program it says it is an ISP problem. It runs for about five mins then disconnects then reconnects, bit strange.
Old 27-August-2005, 14:02
adie_gibson

Just wondering if I am being used to test to see how abusive I can be on the telephone to their customer complaints Dept,This way they will be able to judge the amount of staff they will need back at work on tuesday.
Old 27-August-2005, 14:07
adie_gibson

There are currently no service announcements.

If you're having problems with the Internet (and if you use Virgin Net as your Internet connection provider), check this page before phoning the helpline. We'll tell you what's going on as soon as we're aware of any problems.

If you decide you still need to contact someone at Virgin Net about a service problem, then please e-mail support@virgin.net.

So they say there is no problem with there end ,but diagnostics still says ISP fault
Old 28-August-2005, 09:51
speedtouchguru

Dr Speedtouch invariably says ISP for everything so I wouldn't trust that.

Virgin are open 24/7 365 so give them a call and they would be able to look at it for you.
Old 28-August-2005, 11:18
adie_gibson

Thanks Speedtouchguru, I downloaded the speedtouch diagnostics yesterday to see if it would help me get to the bottom of the problem.I have had no prolems as of yet to day so fingers crossed it was just a glitch.

Last edited by adie_gibson; 28-August-2005 at 12:28.
Old 18-September-2005, 16:01
aliens

Hi,
I think it's Virgin myself as I had the same problems after the upgrade to 2mb which hopefully seems to be ruinning okay now.
Good luck
aliens
Old 19-September-2005, 12:44
adie_gibson

Thumbs up Re: Virgin Broadband Disconnecting

Yea mine has been ok ,I think it was a problem with Virgin maybe because we all got our upgrade around the same time. But as I said it has been fine since.
Old 03-October-2005, 12:28
adie_gibson

Angry Re: Virgin Broadband Disconnecting

Well it has started doing it again,even as I am writing this it keeps disconnecting.Anyone else having this problem.
Old 03-October-2005, 18:06
aliens

Hi,
I had major problems for a few days last week, Tuesday - Saturday morning but since then it has been really good. Changed my cables and filter but this made no difference. Okay at the moment so I think that Virgin were doing something their end.
Good luck everyone.
aliens (Tony)
Old 05-October-2005, 12:47
adie_gibson

Angry Re: Virgin Broadband Disconnecting

Been on and off all day yesterday and the same this morning.Getting well p**sed off.Changed wires filters ran test and e-mailed Virgin and still no joy.
Old 06-October-2005, 13:50
adie_gibson

Well it has been OK for the last 18 hours so touch wood it's back
Old 20-October-2005, 08:04
adie_gibson

The gremlins have gone again ,seems as if they come and go just to keep me on the ball
Old 21-October-2005, 00:12
aliens

Question Re: Virgin Broadband Disconnecting

Hi,
Yes, same here, all is fine at the moment.
But for how long??????
aliens
Old 29-October-2005, 05:02
241tj

Unhappy Re: Virgin Broadband Disconnecting

been with virgin for 2 years and have had connection problems for the last year.
I have used other modems, pc's , cables, routers etc.
It seems to happen when people are most likely to be on-line. The service also works for days with no problem.
At 1st I assumed I had used my limit but I have never recieved any E mails.
I thought that the modem (330) was getting interference from other equipment and moving it elsewhere seemed to help for a while.
From my experience & after reading this forum it seems it can only be a problem with the ISP.
sorry Virgin but Im going to Waitrose (seem to get good reviews and its a 1 month contract). I'll let you know if I get the same with Waitrose (using the same equipment).

Tom.
Old 30-October-2005, 01:24
speedtouchguru

If you're going to migrate to Waitrose then you'll likely get the same problem as the issues will most likely be related to the telephone line.
Old 30-October-2005, 09:53

Have you used the extended reach drivers for the 330 modem this has helped other users with line drops.
Old 30-October-2005, 12:52
241tj

I have the most recent update from the Speedtouch website, is this the extended reach version?. I have already started the migration process and I am waiting for the mac number (they said 48 hours). I just noticed Waitrose charge £80 for cancellation in the 1st yr, whoops! But they are giving me the 1st 3 months free so the gamble may be worth it.

I could not connect Friday at all, Saturday between 5-6 pm. but the service seems to be ok now.

Is there any easy way of checking if the fault is with the ISP or Tel. Line?

Tom.
Old 30-October-2005, 14:33

If you have a read of this post theres links to the exchange checker and drivers and how to get the noise readings from your line.

http://www.the-scream.co.uk/forums/s...ad.php?t=18075
Old 26-November-2005, 23:32
walkleyvisitor

Hi Scoobs, problem only started happening since about 11.00 O clock today . My usb modem is always on and when I run Dr speedtouch diagnostics program it says it is an ISP problem. It runs for about five mins then disconnects then reconnects, bit strange.
Originally Posted by adie_gibson
Hi there, I currently use an ADSL router modem (the Linksys one that's 'always seen'; £79 product), and don't have any problems; however, when with Plusnet (prior to having NTL), I had a USB modem that worked perfectly for moths, then suddenly, started playing up - I changed to an ethernet modem, and it was OK.

P.S: Can anyone let me know if this board has any signature issues - i.e if I've broken any or used too many colours?
Old 26-November-2005, 23:47
aliens

Talking Re: Virgin Broadband Disconnecting

Hi,
I think the problem is with Virgin because it has been fine for several weeks but this morning I also kept getting cut off. The continued for a few hours but all seems okay again now. Very strange!!
Best Wishes
aliens
Old 26-November-2005, 23:50

P.S: Can anyone let me know if this board has any signature issues - i.e if I've broken any or used too many colours?
Originally Posted by walkleyvisitor
Sigs fine.
Old 14-August-2007, 03:18
KLR650Steve

Hi

I'm in Australia and just connected with virgins home phone bundle and 4gig bb deal. At least once a day I have to reset the medem (screw driver into the reset button) turn the modem off and back on and let it reconnect. Once I do that all is ok but it is giving me the shits.

Steve
Old 10-October-2007, 15:45
DaveBee

Mine disconnects every night and all weekend. RUbbish service, rubbish helpline. Poor in every respect.
Dave
Old 11-October-2007, 14:52
Screamer

Same modem problem.. maybe the 25p min charge to call em is summat to do with it... assuming you can understand the guy rabbiting on about your acc etc before you start. Used to think they were ok, but after they stopped charging phone calls to the second and put em up to the full minute.. now charging 25p to talk to someone... they've took a dive l reckon.. or maybe they need the money!.
Old 14-October-2007, 21:40
tfc

Unhappy Re: Virgin Broadband Disconnecting

hi i am having the same problem its bin like this for the past 6 weeks or more
i would say its a virgin problem the more people in your area the bigger the problem it just keeps cutting in and out so much for virgin. will have to look else ware
Old 14-October-2007, 22:30
Kadre

Red face Re: Virgin Broadband Disconnecting

Having problems with Virgin media for a couple of months now.

A friend who lives up the road from me has had problems with his connection for over 2 months. First starting off with the rdy light flashing and getting very slow or no internet at all. Had 3 technicians out so far, all of them have palmed the job onto someone else and hes currently waiting for the construction team to dig up the path(to look at the connection from the main line to his house presumably) just outside his house to see if anything can be done. Had about 4 ppl in the area that i know of have had the exact same problem.

The first technician came round and swapped the modem out and then left straight away, not even looking to see if the internet was working! bloody rediculous

My own internet was like this for about a week before it was sorted out and has been disconnecting downloads half way through for a good 4 or so months now.
Old 17-October-2007, 15:04
JOHN T

Thumbs down Re: Virgin Broadband Disconnecting

Any one found a fix as to disconnecting on and of problem ?
Old 19-October-2007, 20:30
Blackprince01

I've been having a similar problem that is beginning to push my patience to breaking point!! I have a non cable broadband connection with virgin media which on wednesday night I was having the mother of arguements with their "techies" about the fact that I wasn't connected to the service cuz "he" said the whole while his system showed that I was connected. after reboots galore of both my router and laptop I got back online and 10 minutes after hanging the phone up from virgin tech support, lost my connection again!!!
The next day I got an explanation. Apparently they are experiencing at Virgin broadband (non-cable version) something they have dubbed "the 12 minute disconnection". Basically we lose our ability to connect to the internet every 12 minutes while this ongoing problem (that is their priority to fix supposedly) goes on it's Friday now and it's still happening and I'm losing my rag!!

Tags
adsl, bad, broadband, cable, cancellation, christmas, computer, connection, email, free, home, internet, laptop, line, lost, mail, modem, music, offer, online, phone, product, reviews, router, slow, speed, speeds, speedtouch, virgin, web, wireless