Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > Broadband Internet Access

Old 29-April-2010, 20:19
baysoul

Default Newbie help - dsl problem...may be more

Hi
Newbie here so please be gentle!

Problem started today. Was working using email/net when the connection on my bebox modem dropped out - it had been doing it quite a lot over the past few weeks...had to often turn it off and on to get it back to working order.

Anyway, dropped out today so I unplugged, waited, then plugged everything back in. Waited for the lights to glow...but no wlan, dsl or internet light.

Tried several times, booted pc etc but to no avail.

Eventually I called the tech support of my isp who told me to connect direct into the test socket on the master socket. This worked (though oddly still no green light for wlan or internet (I have my laptop connected to the modem via an ethernet cable)

As I was on the phone to the guy, following instructions, at the point where he told me to remove the face plate on the master socket the line dropped out! (he called me back on the mobile) There are 4 wires connected in the back of the faceplate with two wire 'points' empty and two wires hanging lose. I can't see how these had come out when I pulled off the face plate though that may be the problem?

I've tried to plug a working phone into the socket on the face plate but there's just a dead line. When I plug it into the test socket it's fine. I'm assuming there's maybe an issue with the wiring of the face plate, though I'm just not sure? Help!?
Old 29-April-2010, 23:45
Screamager

Default Re: Newbie help - dsl problem...may be more

Hi, sounds like you may well have a problem with your internal wiring (extensions) or devices plugged into this not being filtered properly, every telephone ect that is connected needs to have a adsl filter , this includes sky boxes and alarms too
But if your phone works ok when plugged into the test socket that is located behind the removable faceplate then there will almost certainly be some kind of problem with any wiring or equipment that is connected to the face plate

Old 30-April-2010, 07:13
baysoul

Thanks Tommy...it's weird because it just dropped out yesterday - hadn't made any changes or anything - and then never came back. I'm going to get some new filters...might be a problem with one that's causing the issue. Guess I'll just unplug and work backwards til (hopefully) I fix it. Thanks for the reply
Old 30-April-2010, 13:12
Screamager

Well if everything else that is connected is filtered,and the filters are working ok, then apart from wiring, and the faceplate it self there isn't anything else in your home it could be, unless the Rein value (which can be found on phones exceeds a certain amount, but i think to do that you would need a hell of a lot of them ,but as i said the faceplate can sometimes fail too, not a common thing, but it does happen, as they do have a pcb and all electronic components can fail,These are supposed to be good filters , they get good reviews http://www.adslnation.com/products/index.php

Tags
adsl, cable, connection, dead, email, home, internet, isp, laptop, lights, line, master socket, mobile, modem, phone, reviews, sky