Old 16-August-2015, 20:10
Rambler

Default Re: Windows 10

Many thanks SB lass, I did untick 10 and let me choose what to install, there is no sign off 10 in the updates! I will keep trying, if it says installing 10 I stop download.
Old 17-August-2015, 08:46
ScreamAngel

Yes..it didvthat with me for a while too but then it just stopped and I started to get the blue popup box telling me windows 10 is ready for me to install....maybe it takes a while for mr microsoft to get the message eh? Good luck x
Old 17-August-2015, 09:06
Rambler

Glad I'm not the only one its happening to. No luck so far, I will keep trying.
Old 22-August-2015, 20:17
Safe Sane Consensual

How come Windows 10 installed itself on my desktop when I only intended to download it to install when everyone else had sorted out the teething problems?

It seems a "red hat and no knickers" product with a glossy initial impression.

IMHO it has not been carefully designed to enable you to build on previous Windows Experience and some routine operations should be made easier.

We have lost our network printer but it is very difficult to delete the existing Home Group and begin again! There are many people writing to say they have been hours sorting this out to no avail.

The Outlook direct link from start is not as easy to use as Windows Live Mail for creating and handling multiple accounts. The Windows 10 email client seems very untidy in comparison with WLM.

The monopoly that Microsoft have created means it is difficult to log on directly to a Hotmail website for direct reading of your email. Many users are reporting difficulties.

Making a new Windows 10 system image was not easy to do - the wizard to do so was hidden in "Files" and not in what one might regard as a more appropriate place. With a one terabyte disc I should have been able to store both my old Windows 7 system image and the new Windows 10 system. Although seeming to be in a Windows 7 Wizard Windows 10 will create the new system image but delete the previous one.

We found initially Windows 10 did not seem stable as sometimes on sleep it would close down completely and need a complete disconnection from the mains to restart. Windows Live Mail was not reliable. Things now stable after running CCleaner on both computers.

Having sorted our personal teething troubles think we will stick with Windows 10 but hope Windows Live Mail will not be made obsolete! There are however other non-Microsoft email clients worthy of consideration.
Old 22-August-2015, 20:47
Rambler

That's the reason I will not let it install. Trouble is can't get updates for 8.1 as 10 starts installing automatically! I shut down to stop it. I hate MS! They rule my comp.
Old 22-August-2015, 21:41

Cool Re: Windows 10

Well I'm away from home at present but it downloaded Win 10 to my Laptop and kept asking me to update to 10. It gave me a dates 2 and 3 days away each time so I kept delaying for some days now and it has so far stopped asking. In the meantime it has downloaded and installed updates to Win 8.1.

I've since downloaded the ISO version so that I can do a clean install - this can only be done AFTER it installs/updates Win 8.1 to WIN 10 first.
Old 23-August-2015, 08:19
Rambler

Angry Re: Windows 10

Well I'm away from home at present but it downloaded Win 10 to my Laptop and kept asking me to update to 10. It gave me a dates 2 and 3 days away each time so I kept delaying for some days now and it has so far stopped asking. In the meantime it has downloaded and installed updates to Win 8.1.

I've since downloaded the ISO version so that I can do a clean install - this can only be done AFTER it installs/updates Win 8.1 to WIN 10 first.
Originally Posted by gem View Post
No hope for me then, can't update 8.1
Old 23-August-2015, 17:21
Trance Addict

I've given Windows 10 it's P45. I've put my media system back on Windows 7, my laptop as I currently type this has had a fresh install of 7 and likewise so will my desktop when I get a chance to use it during the week.

Just felt it was a step back from Windows 7 rather than forwards. All this tile cobblers, no I just want a plain and simple Start Menu thanks very much.

I did like the fact that it did boot up very quickly but with all the other rubbish that came along with it such as this online account and it screwing all my other systems over with it Windows 10 had to go.
Old 26-August-2015, 10:56
Screamer

I am trying to understand about Windows 10 but no idea at all. Might need more days to know about this.
Old 27-August-2015, 17:48

Thumbs up Re: Windows 10

I've just upgraded(?) one PC and two laptops from Win 8.1 to Win 10 and no problems at all. It even runs Quicken 2002.
One more laptop to go!

The only prog I've lost is Windows Media Center (which I have hardly used) but I've added (free) DVD software.
Old 27-August-2015, 23:07
Scrimper

I have had W10 since launch day and so far all seems fine.

I would suggest checking that system restore is turned on as 2 of the 3 pc's I have upgraded had system restore set to on using w7 but after upgrading to W10 it was turned off!

Also worth looking at the privacy tab in settings and turning off some of the stuff sending you info to MS plus you might want to stop your PC being used as an update torrent server to update others pc's! You can change this in update..advanced options...check how updates are delivered.

Also under network ..WiFi check you are not sharing your Wifi signal with others!
A part dropped from the workbench will roll to a degree of un-reachability proportional to its importance.
Old 28-August-2015, 12:58
Screamer

I have had W10 since launch day and so far all seems fine.

I would suggest checking that system restore is turned on as 2 of the 3 pc's I have upgraded had system restore set to on using w7 but after upgrading to W10 it was turned off!

Also worth looking at the privacy tab in settings and turning off some of the stuff sending you info to MS plus you might want to stop your PC being used as an update torrent server to update others pc's! You can change this in update..advanced options...check how updates are delivered.

Also under network ..WiFi check you are not sharing your Wifi signal with others!
Originally Posted by druid View Post
Fantastic! Great understanding.
Old 28-August-2015, 12:59
Screamer

I have heard that Windows 10 works slowly. It's right or just a rumor?
Old 28-August-2015, 21:27
Scrimper

Untrue, if anything it's faster! There are a lot of updates however which in a way is reassuring as it shows MS is busy fixing and flaws as and when they appear.
A part dropped from the workbench will roll to a degree of un-reachability proportional to its importance.
Old 29-August-2015, 08:50
Screamager

Just popping back again to clear a few things up.

Will my Word 2000 and Excell still work on Windows 10 and will I still be able to watch music on You Tube and also will discs play in my computer.

Basic questions but I want to be prepared for when and if I do decide to download Windows 10.

Thank you.
Old 29-August-2015, 09:47

Cool Re: Windows 10

Yes Pisces they will work.. Microsoft have said that if it runs in 8.1 (and some previous) it will work with 10.

Joyce22: thanks for that I had already changes those settings. I have also turned off defrag as my main PC now has an ssd.

Oh, and yes and Win 10 does run quicker.
Old 29-August-2015, 10:46
Screamager

Thanks Gem. Am trying to build up my knowledge. I don't like changes but I expect I will have to except Windows 10 one day.
Old 31-August-2015, 15:03
Screamager

I was going to do a system back up onto my new portable drive that I bought the other week.

I am on 8.1 still.

I started to follow Twinkles instructions, i.e went to Control Panel, then to Security & System but could not find 'back up your computer'.

Any help please.

Thank you.
Old 02-September-2015, 15:46
Screamer

Untrue, if anything it's faster! There are a lot of updates however which in a way is reassuring as it shows MS is busy fixing and flaws as and when they appear.
Originally Posted by druid View Post
so, you mean Windows is more faster?
Old 02-September-2015, 21:43

Wink Re: Windows 10

Pisces: Sorry it's the Pro version of Win 7 (and upgraded Win 8 Pro) that has backup.
The next best I can offer is: Control Panel, Recovery, Create a Recovery drive.

Alternatively, you could create a restore point. Do a Windows search and it will give a create and restore. It's useful when you want to install new software but not sure if you will like it or whether it will run ok. You can restore the pc to a previous date WITHOUT changing/lossing any documents etc.

Last edited by gem; 02-September-2015 at 21:49.
Old 03-September-2015, 12:39
Screamer

Great information here. Actually I think the latest version of Windows like 7 ,8 and 10 not bad at all. Satisfaction is only depends on users skills. What do you think?
Old 03-September-2015, 16:30
Screamager

Thank Gem for your reply.
Old 03-September-2015, 21:15

Thumbs up Re: Windows 10

I have just upgraded my wife's Win 8.1 laptop. This is the last of four - three laptops and one desktop.

It all went very smoothly and took about three hours.

I forgot to say in my previous posts that when you upgrade to Win 10 it creates a restore point back to whatever you were running before. You have one month to decide before the previous version is removed.

I would strongly advise that you keep Win 10. It's definitely quicker (after the first re-boot after it's fully installed). It's just(!) a question of getting used to it. Win 8 users will notice not so much difference as those who upgrade from pre Win 8.

Enjoy!
Old 04-September-2015, 09:43
Screamager

Another question if you don't mind.

I use Outlook Express and gmail. Will this continue or will I have to sign up to a Microsoft mail account and loose my contacts, emails and my gmail account?

Thank you once again for all your help.
Old 04-September-2015, 10:57
Rambler

I have just upgraded my wife's Win 8.1 laptop. This is the last of four - three laptops and one desktop.

It all went very smoothly and took about three hours.

I forgot to say in my previous posts that when you upgrade to Win 10 it creates a restore point back to whatever you were running before. You have one month to decide before the previous version is removed.

I would strongly advise that you keep Win 10. It's definitely quicker (after the first re-boot after it's fully installed). It's just(!) a question of getting used to it. Win 8 users will notice not so much difference as those who upgrade from pre Win 8.

Enjoy!
Originally Posted by gem View Post
Thanks Gem, that's good to know especially that you have a restore point for a month.
Old 04-September-2015, 13:44

Question Re: Windows 10

I use Outlook Express and gmail. Will this continue or will I have to sign up to a Microsoft mail account and loose my contacts, emails and my gmail account?

Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
To be honest I am not sure even after googling around! My second thoughts are that if it runs OK in Win8 then it SHOULD be OK in Win10.

As a precaution, copy the mail file (or files, are they pst files like Outlook?)

You could also use the Mail programme built into Win10 but I'm not sure whether you can port over any saved email from Express.

My overall feeling is that I'm very pleased with Win10 so I would give it a go. If you do not like it (or something does not transfer over) then you must decide whether to stick with Win10 and use another similar program for email etc or, revert back to your Win8.1. You have a month after you install Win10.
Old 05-September-2015, 00:02
Scrimper

Outlook express has not been used in Windows since Win Xp it was replaced in Vista by Windows mail. Outlook (part of Office) works fine in W10 I use Outlook 2007 as part of Office 2007 all of which works fine.

Win 10 email is simply called Mail! You will find it as a tile on the start menu, it is a breeze to set up and use. it will take care of all of your accounts inc Gmail etc. Basically you click the mail tab it asks you to add an account, you put in the email address and password and what name should be used when sending messages and that is it! Job done.

You don't have to sign up for a MS mail account although it does no harm to have an extra email account ( I have lots)

Gmail works fine in Windows 10.

FWIW Some people reported that they had to sign in with a MS account but at no time during my 3 upgrades was I asked for a MS account, only time one was needed was for MS one drive on line storage.
Old 05-September-2015, 08:30
Screamager

Thank you everyone for your replies.

I am building up my knowledge for when I transfer over to Windows 10.
Old 13-September-2015, 14:44
Optimistic Curmudgeon

I was going to do a system back up onto my new portable drive that I bought the other week.

I am on 8.1 still.

I started to follow Twinkles instructions, i.e went to Control Panel, then to Security & System but could not find 'back up your computer'.

Any help please.

Thank you.
To do a system backup in Windows 7 (mine is home premium) go to Control panel > Backup and Restore, and create a system image (to be saved on your new portable drive). It would also be a good idea to create a system repair disk at the same time, if you don't already have one.
Old 13-September-2015, 21:31
Trance Addict

Totally forgot that I had a Windows 8 Pro retail licence I bought and never used. Put that on my main system with SSD then did the upgrade to 10, which means I'm on Windows 10 pro.

Giving it another go as I don't think I gave it a fair rack of the whip and I've got it behaving how I want it this time with all the settings tweaked how I want things and not how Mr. Gates wants me to run the show. Much happier with it on my laptop but I haven't had the chance to really sit at my main PC this weekend.

Pesky things like house work and cooking get in the way all the time.

Tags
123, computer, failure, files, flash, forward, france, free, happy, laptop, law, line, lost, make, new computer, online, player, recovery, router, screen, security, settings, software, tools, windows