Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > Tiscali

Old 09-November-2006, 18:57
cyberstu

Default Tiscali Nightmare – over 2 months without broadband

To all of you complaining about slow broadband or not being able to leave Tiscali, I envy you.

My nightmare started on the 6th October. After waiting 2 weeks for BT to activate the line in my new home, I finally set about ordering broadband. I chose Tiscali as its plan seemed to best fit my needs. I tried to order on-line, but I could not get a unique email address, so after about three attempts the website bombed out. I contacted them the next day to progress the order by phone, but they informed me that the order was being processed - although this was not communicated via the website the previous night.
Not a big deal, but the warning signs were there!

Two weeks later and still no broadband. No email, no modem pack. I phoned order tracking and they told me that the order had been 'lost'. I would have to wait another two weeks whilst it is re-processed. No escalation or compensation – they couldn't care less. Obviously I was fuming but I though I may as well persevere as I would have to wait 2 weeks for another ISP anyway.

Somewhat distrustful of their process I phoned order tracking every two or three days for the next fortnight and was assured each time that the order was being processed. Finally after two weeks and still no broadband I didn't see the point in phoning order tracking
as they are no use, so I sent an email of complaint - quite a lengthy one, detailing my problems and stating quite clearly that I had phoned order tracking. The response was a two liner - sorry for the problems, please phone order tracking. It makes your blood boil! Obviously just a standard letter with no thought put into my issues.

Again I phoned order tracking and was told once again that the order has been lost and that it would be another two weeks. For the first time in my life I knew what it was to be speechless. Despite being in a rage I agreed to process the order again - meaning it would take a total of six weeks.

The next day I was still fuming and decided I couldn't trust them a third time so phoned cancellations and cancelled the order. Straight-forward enough, or so I though. However they didn’t tell me what cancellation actually meant – what the process was and how long it would take. Also they didn’t ask why I was canceling. Surely this is a standard question for a cancellation department, but then I guess they just couldn’t give a damn.

I then phoned another ISP, but they told me that there were now tags on the line and I had to contact Tiscali to get a Mac number.

I phoned order cancellation again and was told that as BT has not processed the order there were no tag numbers. It would take two weeks to cancel the order before the new ISP could process the order, which would take a further two weeks.

I then phoned BT who said that as the order had not been processed they could cancel the order which would clear the tags - they even game me a product reference number.
However they said the only ones that could do this were Tiscali.

So I phoned order cancellations again, and this time the person I spoke to told me that they would not do this as it is not part of their standard procedure. It would take their internal process 5-10 days to cancel, after which they would give BT a weeks notice to cancel, after which BT would cancel within 10 days – totaling a maximum of 27 days (although the operator told me 23 days, not sure how they calculated that). I was originally told 10 days, another blatant lie.

Therefore it has taken me over 4 weeks to get this far. It is going to take almost another 4 weeks to cancel and a further two weeks to setup the new ISP. A total of 2 and a half months, because I was stupid enough to register with Tiscali.

I have sent them a letter of complaint which they promised to respond to within 48 hours. As you would expect I have had no response. I phoned OfCom and complained about them. Although they registered the complaint there wasn't much they could do. I have also emailed Quinn Mackenzie who appears to have been able to help others. I did that this afternoon but so far have had no response. I know I shouldn't expect one so soon but I am raging!

Does anyone have any other suggestion regarding how I can speed this process up? From what I can see all I need to do is get Tiscali to manually contact BT to cancel the order, which they refused to do.

Keep up the good work – if I had the sense to look on these forums in the first place I would not be in the mess. I just wish there was more that could be done to make this company take ownership and account for their actions (or lack of).

Oh, and the modem pack did eventually arrive yesterday. The only way they are getting it back is if they have the winning bid on ebay!
Old 10-November-2006, 19:19
jim t

Default Re: Tiscali Nightmare – over 2 months without broadband

My commiserations, it sounds like you're going through exactly the same experience as me.

I cancelled on 15th Sept, after waiting a month for them to connect me and having racked up nearly £10 worth of calls to their 0870 support number to try and find out what the delay was. I'm still waiting for my line to be cleared 2 months later, despite being assured it would be done within 15 days on various occasions since I cancelled. however, this week BT wholesale have confirmed my line will be clear next wednesday so i'm inclined to believe it will finally happen now.

My advice to you is to phone cancellations again and demand to speak to a manager. you'll most likely be told they're in training, but if you insist and say you'll hold until one is available, you should get put through to one eventually. they seem to have a little more knowledge of their systems than the front line people, and they will give you their name and take ownership of the issue.

one more thing, you can get through to the cancellations dept by calling head office on 0207 0872000, it may work out cheaper for you depending on what call package you're on. you'll have to sit through a long recorded message, but it eventually goes through to a switchboard.

having read other people's experiences with tiscali on this forum, i do believe they've actually done me a favour by messing up my order, or i'd have been stuck with an awful, throttled service that drops out regularly for the next twelve months and probably still have all this bother at the end of it!

good luck...
Old 13-November-2006, 12:16
cyberstu

Quick update -

Emailed their complaints department outlining the problems described in great detail. Was promised a response within 48 hours. 72 hours later I finally got a response which was a generic email telling me if I wanted to cancel I should contact the cancellations department.

I HAVE ALREADY CANCELLED. I wanted to complain about the service and timescales I have been given. What is the point in having a complaints department if they don't even read the complaint. I already have exceedingly low expectation of this company, and every time they fail to meet even them and give me a response well beyond the worst I can imagine.

Why can no one in this company take responsibility? Why do they lie to customers and go out of their way to upset people. I must have spoken to about 20 people in this company and not a single one has been honest or helpful. Each time you phone them you get a different story.

I am almost resigned to their being nothing I can do and that if I am lucky sometime within the next 6 months I may have the tags removed from the line. I also can't believe that BT can't escalate this. It isn't right that honest, well-intentioned consumers can be treated like this!

I am begging you – avoid this company at all costs. I will quite happily pay BT (or anyone else) twice the money to avoid this shower of idiots.
Old 13-November-2006, 13:57
dazher

It isn't right that honest, well-intentioned consumers can be treated like this!

I am begging you – avoid this company at all costs. I will quite happily pay BT (or anyone else) twice the money to avoid this shower of idiots.
Originally Posted by cyberstu View Post
Amen! Sing it brother!

It was Zen for me, not BT. Technical assistance on demand, efficient billing, great online services, no drop outs, no throttling and best of all a 1 month contract - all at a little over twice the price. After Tiscali its worth every extra pound!
Old 13-November-2006, 14:42
panarama

Thumbs down Re: Tiscali Nightmare – over 2 months without broadband

I have just been disconnected by Tiscali last week and they have NOT released the line. I have spoken to:

Press and PR
Debbie Roff, PR and Communications Executive,

She said will pass on to high complaint but still heard nothing.

Now just emailed:
Tiscali are terrible and they are rude....

Also logged it with OFCOM and got a reference.

Also BT said to me call Watchdog as they are building a case on them, so make sure you do as Tiscali need to be sorted out

Last edited by panarama; 14-November-2006 at 15:28.
Old 13-November-2006, 15:02
cyberstu

Now just emailed: 'Quinn.Mackenzie@uk.tiscali.com' and I am waiting for a responce...

Tiscali are terrible and they are rude....

Also logged it with OFCOM and got a reference.

Also BT said to me call Watchdog as they are building a case on them, so make sure you do as Tiscali need to be sorted out
Originally Posted by panarama View Post
I logged a complaint with OFCOM last week and also have a reference number for them. Great to hear Watchdog are building a case on them - I have been CC'ing them in on all communication with Tiscali so far. I emailed Quinn last Thursday (9th Nov) but have heard nothing yet.

Printed all correspondence with them out and sent a complaint letter in writing this afternoon. According to their procedure I should have a written response within 7 days. I presume this means that I will receive a standard letter not addressing my points within the month! I will let you know.
Old 13-November-2006, 15:25
panarama

Wink Re: Tiscali Nightmare – over 2 months without broadband

Result.....

She has taken ownership of my complaint.....

Just proves people in the head office are always very helpful but the call centre staff in the UK are not interested in your problem.

I will update with info good or bad, but hopefully good....

Last edited by panarama; 14-November-2006 at 15:16.
Old 13-November-2006, 22:58
cyberstu

Arrrgggggghhhhhhh!!!!!

Just phoned cancellations to make sure that my cancelation was progressing normally and have been told that it hasn't been progressed at all (a 'problem' apparently) and I will have to wait another 15 working days. I'm off to lie down in a darkened room. Can this company do nothing right other than putting tags on people's line?
Old 07-December-2006, 01:04
OGC

Has anyone tried legal action against Tiscali? In my case, I have been without broadband for over 2 months now and as I work from home this is costing me an absolute fortune in dial-up connections and waist of time!
Old 12-December-2006, 16:13
bigpupcooper

This all sounds to similar. Going round in the 10-15 day cycle for the fifth time.

Tiscali "enhanced" my broadband on the 9th October which actually broke the service, after three weeks of their support trying to fix it without success, I cancelled with them.

I still have a marker on my line so I can not get a new provider. I have raised this in writing as a formal complaint to them, as well as escalation to management within Tiscali. So far it is not resolved (15th Decemeber) and I will have to wait another 10-15 days, only to be told that the marker is still not released.

My job requires me to provide 24x7 support, without this I can't provide it, and am loosing £196 + callout every week.
I have raised this to Ofcom also.
My only option is to pay 124.99 to BT to disconnect and reconnect a new telephone line.

Never ever use Tiscali.
Old 19-December-2006, 03:58
_|_tiscali

^^^^ are u sure thats the ONLY option? i have the exact same situation but mines worse to be honest. its been 6mnths since iv been trying to knock sense into these drunk monkeys. do u know how long BT takes to install a new telephone line? and whether we can request a MAC code for the LLU?
Old 19-December-2006, 10:24

you need to get tiscalis ADR provider involved if you haven't already

see http://www.ofcom.org.uk/complain/
and perhaps http://www.ispa.org.uk/complaints/

in the first instance contact tiscali and ask for their ADR provider contact details,. also raise an complaint at the ISPA because it's easy to do...

Sil

PS, last time I asked BT if a line disconnect + reconnect would remove a marker they said it wouldn't.. (but then they might be wrong)
Old 19-December-2006, 12:59
writer201

All

My complaint is a warning to you all that Tiscali have taken payments from me for services and then told me they had not received the payments by Direct Debit when I have proof they did. Their CRM is a sham, their agents don't seem to know what to do. I signed up for their Secure email facility costing £9.99 a year. They have now taken payment for it three times and have no record on their systems of taking the payment by Direct Debit despite having the record to show they have taken it. Complaints simply do not answer letters or emails. They like to receive payments but in areas of dispute where they are wrong and acknowledge their mistake they are very slow to make a repayment.
However, concerning BB recently their service has been shoddy. Over the last three weeks the service has gone down 3 times delaying the delivery of emails in some case by up to two days. I would think very carefully before signing up to Tiscali.
Old 19-December-2006, 17:24

if money was taken wrongly and it's a direct debit then it's simple to fix, just contact the bank and get the money refunded

Sil
Old 24-December-2006, 13:29
cyberstu

Quick update. After contacting someone at head office I received an apology and 2 months credit. Although I didn't wan't to continue with Tiscali I was told my broadband would be on the next day, and as I need it for my business I had no option but to agree to this.

Two days ago on the 22nd December I logged on to finish some work before Christmas. I could not connect so I phoned customer services. I was told that my account had been disconnected. This was presumably as a result of my request to disconnect on the 6th November - but which should have been removed following the apology from Tiscali. So the nightmare begins again. I am now told that I will either have to re-aply to Tiscali or wait 10-15 days to have the tags cleared from my line - well, that was one of the stories, I have spoken to five different people and been given five different responses. Guess which one I am going for.

So thank you Tiscali - another three months of stress as I am lied to by the morons from Tiscali. Merry Christmas!
Old 24-December-2006, 15:52

can you get cable installed,. I put ntl in before I tried to cancel tiscali since it was the only way to be rid of them w/ minimum disruption,. it took them like 2 or 3 months to disconnect their service., doesn't look like things have changed much since

Sil
Old 25-December-2006, 09:13
alexfido

after a night mare with talktalk idecided to go with tiscali,when i signed up i was told it could take upto 15 days,i got three emails (i was on dial up) in six days telling me of progress.
the third telling me my line was ready to use,i called tiscali and asked what equipment they would be sending(speedtouch 330),as i already had one ,the chap on the end of the line help me set up my connection and even told me of an update for the modem which improved it performance.
in general we always hear about poor service,my experience with talktalk being a prime example,ithink its only fair that when we do get good service we should mention this also.alex on 01395576780
Old 26-December-2006, 13:45
Dr.Mabusei

see other links on this forum.
there are personal email addresses and names of head office personel with Tiscali.
as last resort you can file court summons against them to get them to pull their fingers out and either release you or get your connection reestablished.

best of luck
Old 26-December-2006, 13:53
cyberstu

Some good news at last. Phoned BT wholesale and they have a cease order from Tiscali. From the 2nd January I will be free!!!! Best news I have had since September. Although I am confidant that Tiscali will manage to scr*w something up. Most likely contender is that they will insist on charging me for the remainder of the contract or there will be some other hidden catch they didn't tell me about. But miracles do happen!!! BT, you may charge a fortune but I will be on the phone soon....
Old 01-January-2007, 23:01
Renata

MY HISTORY AND THE LETTER TO TISCALI
"I demand £2500 compensation for my financial loss from Tiscali, due to poor or no Internet services I have received recently. The amount should be paid into my account within 21 days from the date of this letter. The bank details are as follows: ........

Justification
On 5 July 2006 I placed an order for Tiscali Broadband and Talk services. A couple of days later I received a negative answer. The reason for it was the fact that I was not a BT customer at the time. On 4 October 2006 I became a BT customer again and I tried to reorder Tiscali services. Unfortunately, I was informed that my phone number was not included in Tiscali database. On 6 October (14:45 and 16:13) I wasted a few hours on reordering Tiscali services yet again. I was told that I had to cancel the pending order from 5 July to place a new order, and within 10 days I was to become a happy Tiscali Broadband and Talk customer. I did exactly what I was asked to do; I cancelled the 5 July order and placed an order for Tiscali services again by calling a different phone number.

Sadly, no such thing happened. 10 days later, on 18 October (15:19), I called Tiscali again to be told that I supposedly cancelled my order on 5 October! At this point I started to suspect that Tiscali is not a very competent company. The person I spoke to apologised for the inconvenience and promised that I would be reconnected to Tiscali services within the following 10 days. And yet again – nothing had changed. I rang Tiscali AGAIN on 27 October (13:36)to be informed that I became a Tiscali customer based on my order from 5 July!! This confirmed my suspicions about incompetence of the Tiscali Company. Yet again, the person on the other end of the phone line apologised to me and assured me I would be connected to the services within 10 days. Incompetence of Tiscali had been confirmed by yet another phone call I made on 3 November (14:12 and 14:52), when the operator wanted to take my order for the 3rd time! I was really desperate at that point and asked to speak to a supervisor. I explained the whole situation to him and he politely apologised for the inconvenience. He gave me a 100% guarantee with his word that I would be connected to Tiscali services within 10 days.
As I am a very precautious person, I decided to place the order again on the Internet, using the dial-up service and typing in the code TF-PS-11HF and my phone number.

On 7 November I received an e-mail from Tiscali titled ‘Order Update 1’ which included my user code UI8...... and the information that my phone line had been tested (positive result). I was also informed that the Broadband pack would be delivered to my address within 15 days from the date of that order, no later than 19 July 2006!!! On 16 November I received another e-mail from your company titled ‘Order Update 2’ which included my username x.xxxx@tiscali.co.uk and the information that I would receive my modem pack within 3 days.

As I expected, no such thing had happened. I rang Tiscali on 21 November. I spoke to an operator and a supervisor and was told that Tiscali had been experiencing some technical difficulties and that I should expect the modem to arrive within the next 6 days.
During that conversation I decided, for the first time, to cancel my order completely as Tiscali turned out to be unprofessional and disrespectful towards its customers. However, the supervisor had convinced me to give it another go. To my surprise, on 24 November, i.e. 49 days after my first order I finally received the Tiscali Broadband pack!

I managed to be a happy Tiscali customer for... 5 days, between the dates of 24 to 29 November. On 30 November I notified Tiscali about the loss of the ASDL signal. Having followed the operator’s instructions, I was told that the company responsible for the fault was BT. The fault was supposed to be removed within 24 hours. After that time had elapsed, I was told to follow the same instructions as the previous day which did not changed anything. Again, I called Tiscali on 3 December. The operator apologised and promised that the issue will be resolved within the next 24 hours.

The following day I was informed that BT had repaired the fault and I could use Tiscali services again. Unfortunately, it turned out to be untrue. After yet another phone call to Tiscali I found out that both BT and Tiscali lines had been working correctly and that perhaps it was the modem that was causing problems. I was told I would receive a new one at my address within 3 to 5 days. I knew at that point that it had nothing to do with the modem, cables or the computer itself.

Sadly, at that point my patience and helplessness forced me to cancel all services provided by Tiscali. Another proof of the company’s incompetence is the fact that even after cancelling the services and receiving the code MAC BBDXXXXXXX/XXXX , the broadband started to work again after a couple of minutes!!

I would like to add that I work as a web designer and the situation described above is unacceptable for me as due to Tiscali’s incompetence I am losing my present clients as well as the opportunity to gain new ones. I would also like to inform you that shall I experience any difficulties due to extremely poor Tiscali service, I will not hesitate to publish my letter in the local press in order to warn both existing and potential customers against the unprofessional service, carelessness, disrespect for customers, etc.
The compensation amount I mentioned above has been calculated by adding financial loss I experienced due to losing customers for whom I have been website administrator and due to the cost of phone calls to premium rate Tiscali numbers.

Merry Christmas!! "

Answer :

„ ...Tiscali endeavours to provide our customers with an efficient and professional service and to resolve those issues brought to our attention in timely manner. When a customer feels we have fallen below this standard and received poor customer service , this is a situation that we endeavour to take on board all comments made with a view to improving our service.
...the broadband service is intended for residential use only …
We shall not be liable to you under or in connection with this contract.
For any loss of business, contracts , profits, anticipated savings , goodwill or revenue …
…You are responsible for all call charges that you incur whilst making calls to Tiscali SS. Once you have reported a fault to us we will do our best to resolve the fault ad quickly and efficiently an we able in the circumstances…. „
Old 02-January-2007, 00:10

I would think tiscali (and other isps) cover themselves fairly well in terms of liability for user connection issues,.

really switching ISPs as quickly as possible is your only option - or getting a second line installed / cable bb etc

Sil
Old 04-January-2007, 18:00
cyberstu

Good news. BT cleared the marker from my line and I am now free to go elsewhere (almost 2 months after the initial cancelation request to Tiscali). Shouldn't be owing Tiscali anything as they gave me two months credit for the initial problems, but I am fully expecting them to charge me for the remainder of the year. Hopefuly not though as I am quite looking forward to sanity returning to my life.
Old 03-May-2008, 18:43
furious

I am in the middle of a nightmare with tiscali .cancelled last august gave them mac code moved to sky they continued to take money from my account owed me . many long phone calls to equally incompitent people two months later 2 cheques arrived 2 different amounts to what they had previously quoted there accounts must be a shambles .now 9 months down the line 2 letters arrive stating i owe 6.49 . 2nd letter states they will be sending details to credit ref agency and cut me off .well how the hell can they i have not been with them since last august. when i spoke to a guy at tiscali he said he was sick of complaints refused to put me through to manager and told me to go to watchdog or oftcom. spoke to some one in billing they said tear letters up you owe nothing .not on your life tiscali these letters are my proof of incompetence. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT JOIN TISCALI OR YOU WILL END UP IN AOUT OF CONTROL NIGHTMARE .ANYONE OUT THERE ANY SUGGESTIONS
Old 03-May-2008, 18:49
furious

Dont Be Suprised If Like Me You Recieve Aletter 9 Months Down The Line Threatening You With Credit Reference Agency Due To None Payment I Have Cancelled My Account In August Last Year They Continued To Take Money From My Account Fought To Get It Back Got A Apology Thought Thank Goodness Tiscali Are Gone For Ever But 9 Months On I Have Had Threatening Letters The Company Is Managed By A Bunch Of Incompitent Idiots Good Luck
Old 07-May-2008, 23:32
Screamager

what i would do in your situation is see if you can sue tiscali, from the stress caused by the letters and for unduly affecting your credit score, you should firstly stopped the dd with your bank after they had taken the final payment that they where entitled to and asked for a letter to confirm that you ended service owning no mony then should any bailifs turn up just show them the letter end of no more hastle and it would also back up your claim in a county court

Tags
broadband, bt, cable, christmas, company, computer, connection, delay, disrespectful, email, happy, home, internet, line, mail, make, marker, modem, ofcom, online, phone, premium rate, publish, slow, speed, speedtouch, talk, talktalk, tiscali, tiscali broadband, web