Old 16-July-2010, 00:13
Screamer

Default CPU Fan

don't know if this is the right area to post this and it may seem a little strange but here goes.For a few months now not all the time when i start my desk top my CPU fan runs at really high speed usually until the desk top page loads then stop's as i have said not always i am with TT,But the strange thing is my daughter who lives miles from me and is with Virgin when i mentioned this she says that her PC sometimes does this as well,Call me paranoid but could this be our respective ISP's running some sort of spy ware on our PC's?
Old 17-July-2010, 12:03
I'll get some legs soon..

Default Re: CPU Fan

could this be our respective ISP's running some sort of spy ware on our PC's?
No, absolutely not. It sounds as if your computer motherboard supports thermal fan control, as most modern computers do.

Depending on the ambient air temperature in the room at the time you switch your computer on, the CPU fan may run at slow speed or high speed. If the air temperature is very warm, the fan may start at a higher speed than when the air temperature is low.

Once the CPU temperature has stabilised, the fan will run at a speed which will keep the CPU temperature within the limits set by the system. If it gets hotter, the fan speeds up. When it is cool, the fan will run at a lower speed.
Old 17-July-2010, 14:18
Screamer

Funnily enough since i posted this the CPU fan has not run on start up as it has always done over a couple of years.In fact i have never heard or seen it run at any noticeable speed in that time.I have however started to switch my router off at night possibly this has some thing to do with it?
Old 18-July-2010, 21:28
I'll get some legs soon..

I think the heatsink may be clogged up after two years. Try taking the side off your computer, and carefully remove all the fluff from the CPU fan and heatsink. Best done with a vacuum cleaner, but don't knock the heatsink otherwise you will have more problems.

Tags
computer, isp, router, slow, speed, speeds, virgin