Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > PC Security

Old 13-June-2004, 09:21

Post Free Online Virus Scans

Heres a list of Some antivirus sites that do free online virus scans.

Panda ActiveScan

Trend Housecall

Norton Security Check

RAV Antivirus Scan

Kaspersky Anti-Virus: Free Online Virus Scanner

Last edited by silver; 07-January-2006 at 13:31.
Old 27-July-2004, 15:02
Gresh

Thanks for the good advice, I immediately used Trend 'Housecall to run a check and it found that I had loads of 'naughties'. I then downloaded McAfee 'Stinger' to do another scan and it found and cured more infection problems.
I had more Trojans than ancient Greece ever had. Lol.
I then unloaded Norton Antivirus even tho' it had several months of paid up updates left to go - if an antivirus can let itself get infected, then what can I say?
I have now installed the 'free for personal use' AVG AntiVirusGuard from www.free-av.com and have done a deep scan and it found loads of 'diallers'; trojans; worms and viruses. There were also several infected archived files like 'restore info' points which I have also now deleted and everything seems to running sweetly again.
Could I now download Nortons Anti Virus updates? Well I bet I could - but I am now so disillusioned with Norton AV I won't even try.
Once again my sincere thanks for the help.
Gresh
Old 27-July-2004, 17:16

hi Gresh

glad it was of help to you you may want to run spybot and adware as well, and check out zer0's hijack pack just below this thread.
Old 24-August-2004, 21:37
Phaedrus

Here`s a couple more to add to your list:

http://www.kaspersky.com/remoteviruschk.html

http://www.commandondemand.com/eval/cod/codns6.cfm

Cheers,

Trev.
Old 14-September-2004, 22:02
Screaming net veteran

Yes norton is the biggest of piece **** that you could use for AV scanning.

How did you manage to uninstall it because I still have vestiges of the oher garbage loaded in with it.........(the utilities shite)?
Old 15-September-2004, 23:22
Zer02004

There is a Norton/Symantec removal tool available which will clear your system of any these products.
I believe that you can source it from Symantec.
Old 30-October-2004, 18:45
whity

Default Re: Free Online Virus Scans

the Trend scan doesn't work for me,McAfee sais something about a creditcard so won't bother there,RAV antivirus works great asfar as detecting is concerned,but doesn't remove (or fix) the infected files,and according to Panda Activescan my pc is completely virus-and others-free..well bugger me
Old 30-October-2004, 18:49

Will remove mcafee seeing as its not free now.

But the trend one works its java based so have you got the latest java installed
Old 31-October-2004, 12:12
Screaming net veteran

Yes Trend does work well if you give it a chance to configure properly......

You've got to let it load the java and map directories of your drives .. so you should open the firewall option to this.
Trend works in Netscape and Internet Explorer but doesn't work in Opera or Firefox browsers.
The antivirus agent I use on my computer is the EZ antivirus and that's good in that it works quietly in the background and you don't any problems slowing your computer or rude interuptions from anti-virus nag screens like you have with Norton.

Norton AV indeed caused me more problems than any virus ever has. A nightmare to try and remove it too. Also it messes your scandisk and defrag system. I don't know anyone that's had a good experience with and I can't understand it's so apparently high rated? Is it a case of millions developing this only to find it's a lame programm and they've bribed the review people to promote and peddle it strongly? ....... I reckon so you know. Out of all the anti-virus stuff on the market I reckon Norton is the worst!

Trend online is good in that it's relatively quick to scan your entire system and it lists all the trojans and viruses which you can delete. Also it is bang up to date.Very good and useful site and does exactly it says on the box and no bundle garbage or hidden extras and it's genuinely free.

Forget the stuff about the credit card you must have been looking at the wrong pages.
Old 04-November-2004, 19:36
whity

Still find it very bizarre,the difference between results..
Tried Trend again and did work now -came up with 4 diff virusus ,14 infected files..one of those I couldn't remove..then I ran RAV antivirus and found 16 virusus and 329 infected files..anyway,I give up,I'll just format the thing from time to time :d
Normally I use Norton IN Security 2002 of which the firewall seems to be descent but it didn't detect any of the forementioned viruses.. as most of these "viruses" are Trojans I guess the firewall doesn't work too well either..anyway I'm kindof a rookie so I'll quit complaining..thanks anyway
Old 04-November-2004, 19:53
Zer02004

Quite a few trojans/viruses have the capability to disable AV/firewall software with no noticeable difference to the user. All it takes is for your definitions to a little outdated and you have no protection whatsoever.
Even newer versions of NAV are certainly not the best when it comes to malware detection and removal and your version is three years old!

The variation in results can be down to many factors; some scanners have the ability to scan inside nested archives whilst others don't, some will rate certain files as threats while othrs don't, some use advanced heuristics whilst others depend solely upon definition files.
Most aren't very good at detecting trojan type infections and this is where dedicated programs such as TDS-3 excel.
Old 02-February-2005, 07:19
prying eyes

GOOD NEWS
Trend online scan now supports all major browsers.
Trend Micro HouseCall is the only free online virus scanner on the market that supports multiple Operating Systems and multiple Browser architectures!

Browser support includes all major browsers that support the Java 2 Platform:
  • Microsoft Internet Explorer
  • Netscape (6+)
  • Mozilla (1+)
  • Firefox (all)
  • Opera (7.5+)
Old 14-February-2005, 23:31
prying eyes

Now microsoft too in the online scanning business. Link for M$ online scanning:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/ma...e/default.mspx
U hve to scroll down the webpage and click on the tab "check my pc for infection". Currently available only for windows 2000, win xp and windows 2003 versions.
The Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool checks Windows XP, Windows 2000, and Windows Server 2003 computers for and helps remove infections by specific, prevalent malicious software—including Blaster, Sasser, and Mydoom. When the detection and removal process is complete, the tool displays a report describing the outcome, including which, if any, malicious software was detected and removed. Microsoft releases an updated version of this tool on the second Tuesday of each month. New versions are available through this Web page, Windows Update, and the Microsoft Download Center.
  • Users of all supported versions may run the tool directly from this Web page, or manually download the newest version to run locally on their computers.
  • Windows XP users may get the latest version through Windows Update. To have the newest versions automatically delivered and installed as soon as they are released, set the Automatic Updates feature to Automatic.

Note The version of this tool delivered by Windows Update runs in the background and then deletes itself. If you would like to run this tool more than once a month, use the version on this Web page or install the version that is available in the Download Center.
Because computers can appear to function normally when infected, Microsoft advises you to run this tool even if your computer seems to be fine. You should also use up-to-date antivirus software to help protect your computer from other malicious software.

Note You must be logged on to your computer with an account that is part of the Administrators group to run this tool.
Old 15-July-2005, 16:13

will let you upload a file to check with various scanners http://www.virustotal.com

Sil
Old 03-October-2006, 15:00
vpn_88

Additional resources:

http://www.sosdg.org/ - Command Line Anti-virus
(freeware)

http://www.f-prot.com/ - Antivirus Scanner
(freeware)

http://www.all-internet-security.com Antivirus Review
http://www.atshield.com/ Trojan Scanner
(shareware)
http://www.gfi.com/ (email content checking)

Jessica
Old 22-July-2008, 10:18
Sevanovg

This is another good online virus scan
http://smart-ip.net/en/tools/virus-scan

Tags
123, company, computer, credit, customer, email, feature, files, free, hijack, internet, line, online, port, security, software, support, tools, trojan, virus, windows