Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > PC Security

Old 17-April-2007, 10:05
antibt

Smile Portable Browser for security

Hi, anyone has used portable firefox with an usb memory flash? I was told that it will not leave any trace of your activity of surfing.
Old 17-April-2007, 18:05
Former TS! Team

Default Re: Portable Browser for security

Yes,
It's just like normal firefox.

As for 'without a trace' depends on how you quantify it. It's impossible for any browser not to leave a trace on the internet. (Think Web server and office proxy logs). As for the PC, Firefox can be set to remove cookies, history etc on exit anyway so it make very little difference.

Only real advantage I can see is carrying your bookmarks arround, but firefox saves this as .html anyway so you could just transport the html arround insted of the whole firefox thing.

For those who are interested, firefox stores the bookmarks.html here :

%homedrive%%homepath%\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\{random}.default\boo kmarks.html

eg. C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\{random}.default\boo kmarks.html

eg. C:\Documents and Settings\Memfis\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\z56e591v.default\boo kmarks.html
Old 28-April-2007, 02:37
antibt

Smile Re: Portable Browser for security

I am using portable firefox to deal with internet banking while away from the country in an internet cafe or hotel.I am very particular about leaving any trace of where I surfed ,what was my password etc.You dont think portable firefox is any use then?
Old 28-April-2007, 11:59

it can't hurt but it depends on what scenario you are worried about,. take for instance a hardware key logger installed on a compromised computer in an i'net cafe,. it doesn't matter if the browser is safe or the connection is https / encrypted your keystrokes (passwords / login etc) can still be seen

I think one bank is issueing keyrings which generates one time keys for login security which is quite neat.. that should be pretty secure

the other thing is to use telephone banking perhaps?

Sil
Old 11-May-2007, 08:42
antibt

I just come across a programme called KL Detector.Any one has any experience with this programme?Thanks in advance.
Old 11-May-2007, 09:45

know nothing about it - but from their site http://dewasoft.com/privacy/i-hate-keyloggers.htm - they do say hardware keyloggers are impossible to detect and circumvent (from a software point of view)

one time keys using a keyring are going to be the most secure method since the logged / recorded information on the compromised machine is only 1/2 the story, they can repeat the details login and it won't allow them access - pretty neat,.

I'm not sure which banks are providing them but I know some in the UK are def using this approach for normal customer accounts.

Sil
Old 11-May-2007, 09:56

jus for my curiousity I had a quick look at the site abt the kl-detector,. (I didn't download it or look at it properly) it seems to only monitor file writes and record which files are written to,. this might work in a few cases but it doesn't sound like a great approach tbh

Sil
Old 12-May-2007, 16:00
antibt

Thanks Silver for your valuable infos.I understand that HSBC is issuing a security device in a kay ring which generates different security numbers every time you approach internet account.I have decided to change my bank!
Also I bought a laptop with reasonable protection with Zone alarm int. security pro.Seems to be working fine.Once again thanks for your input.
Old 12-May-2007, 20:03
Former TS! Team

As far as I am aware it's only HSBC Business customers that currently get unique number generators.
Old 12-May-2007, 22:45

hum, well must admit I didn't investigate it too much,. what I heard was one of the banks were bringing in one time keys for normal customers,. but when that happens I don't know,.

Sil

edit - here's one version of the story http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/18/pinsentry/
Old 13-May-2007, 15:43
Former TS! Team

Sorry Silver we got our wires crossed on this one.

I bank with hsbc for both business and personal accounts. I have a number generator keyfob thing for my business accounts, but not personal. I didn't want antibt moving banks to hsbc for nothing

What other banks are doing I dont know. I did also read that article on the register about barclays and I think it's the right thing to do. It's a shame it's not mandatory for all banks to do this for all customers.

Last edited by Memfis; 13-May-2007 at 19:19.
Old 13-May-2007, 18:57
antibt

Thumbs up Re: Portable Browser for security

Thanks Memfis but changing to HSBC was actually helped me great.I was in need to send money to India.HSBC has arranged a personal current account in UK and also another account in India for me.I have received the key fob you have mentioned for my Indian account posted from Birmingham!) and transferred money from UK to India by on line without incurring any charges and with a good exchange rate.I only hope they send me another key fob for my UK account.I am not a business man and I do not have business account in any bank.
Old 14-May-2007, 00:30

one time keys are pretty cool and though the incidence of keylogging / intercepted login details is probably rare (well who knows) it's a good security measure that is effective

Sil
Old 14-May-2007, 00:33

Sorry Silver we got our wires crossed on this one.

I bank with hsbc for both business and personal accounts. I have a number generator keyfob thing for my business accounts, but not personal. I didn't want antibt moving banks to hsbc for nothing

What other banks are doing I dont know. I did also read that article on the register about barclays and I think it's the right thing to do. It's a shame it's not mandatory for all banks to do this for all customers.
Originally Posted by Memfis View Post
no - I could easily be wrong,. it was only a 1/2 remembered thing I heard and I have no idea of the general availability of the devices etc,.

I think it will become more widespread - if only as an enticement from the banks to get more ppl to use / trust online banking (allowing banks to reduce phyisical branches and call center staffing)

Sil
Old 08-June-2007, 10:19

looks like one bank is def rolling it out for normal customers..

Over half a million customers will be automatically sent free PINsentry card readers and instructions by the end of the year, with this number increasing further as more customers are added to the service. The remaining customers will not need PINsentry at this stage – it will only be needed by those who use online banking to set up payments out of their account to a new third party for the first time. Customers who simply wish to use online banking to view their accounts and pay bills to established payees will be able to continue to use online banking as normal without the need for PINsentry.
http://www.net4now.com/isp_news/news...p?News_ID=3900

Sil
Old 08-June-2007, 18:43
Former TS! Team

Definitely prefer the one time key generators.
glad i'm not with barclays.
Old 08-June-2007, 21:39

ah hum,. for some reason I thought pinsentry was the key gen thing, guess not

so it's a card reader? that's crappy,. I would have thought the key gens were cheaper to provide (perhaps not though - not sure) and can you carry round a card reader or plug it in in an i'net cafe ?

Sil
Old 22-May-2011, 13:02

well - it's taken some time for me to hop onboard for online banking but I finally thought I'd give it a whirl,. HSBC normal personal account and they have given me a funky one time key fob to login with,.

the advantage with a hardware key generator is that is generates a unique ID each time it is used and it is (pretty well) impossible for someone else to access the account without having the key fob,..

the other neat thing is that if there were a key logger (or someone watching over your shoulder) they cannot use the same login details as you used as the hardware key generator creates a new ID each time,.

I thought it somewhat interesting (well pointless really) that when I enter the unique key generated it is displayed as '*******' - there is really no need to do that as it is unique each time and someone watching over my shoulder could read it off the screen of the key fob

all banks should be using similar one time key technology
Old 22-May-2011, 17:16

Thumbs up Re: Portable Browser for security

Glad to hear that you have joined the real world!!!

Barclays use a similar system except that you have to put your card into the reader (not as easy to carry around as a key fob), enter your pin which then creates a unique number which you then enter online.
Shame I don't use Barclays as my main bank!
Old 22-May-2011, 18:22

I guess needing to have your card and push it into a reader adds another layer of security but to me it seems a step too far or at least a lot of hassle and makes accessing online banking while not at home very difficult

key fob with number generator on is very secure method and really makes all kinds of key logging and password stealing and other such types of un-authorised access pretty well impossible
Old 22-May-2011, 21:27
Former TS! Team

Apart from the company manufacturing the fobs got hacked a few weeks back.....
The Register and other sites..
Old 23-May-2011, 00:26

Apart from the company manufacturing the fobs got hacked a few weeks back.....
The Register and other sites..
Originally Posted by Memfis View Post
interesting,. though even if they had the 'seed id' to the key sat on my desk they would still need to know who it belonged to and I doubt RSA (or whatever company makes the keys) could know who owns each key as that information would be known by the bank not the key maker?

Tags
company, computer, connection, files, flash, free, generator, hacked, home, internet, isp, key, laptop, line, make, online, screen, security, settings, software, sound, web, zone