Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > General Software

Old 12-January-2010, 19:29
Screamager

Default Windows Live Mail and TalkTalk

Trying to set up talktalk email account with Windows Live Mail on Windows 7. I have checked, double checked and triple checked the recommended email settings from talktalk and I cant get this to work. I dont get any error messages. I can see it sending emails but no emails are downloaded, other than a welcome message from talktalk from 2009. I checked the web based account with talktalk and there are several emails there, including the email I sent from Windows Live Mail as a test.

I am using "mail.talktalk.net", username is phonenumber@talktalk.net, password is correct. Again, no error messages at all but those mails on the web site are not coming down.

Thanks.
Old 12-January-2010, 19:40

Default Re: Windows Live Mail and TalkTalk

Settings

* E-mail address: username@talktalk.net
* Incoming mail Sever: mail.talktalk.net
(if asked:)
Incoming mail account type: POP3
Incoming mail port: 110
* Outgoing mail (SMTP) Server: smtp.talktalk.net
(if asked:)
Log on using SPA: leave unchecked
Authentication: none
Outgoing mail port: 25
Use SSL: leave unchecked
* Account name (Username): username@talktalk.net
* Password: password

From there site

I gave up with WLM and used outlook you could use Thunderbird.
Old 12-January-2010, 20:02
Screamager

Hi Scoobs. Yep - that's what I'm using.

My only observation is that I can leave "use SPA" unchecked but by default "log on using clear text authentication" is selected. I can't uncheck this without checking SPA or authenticated POP. Could this be the problem? Otherwise everything is the same as recommended on the site.
Old 12-January-2010, 20:21
Austin_KW

Just a note on username; The phonenumber@talktalk.net is used with the broadband password to create/manage (1-5) mail accounts. This is not the mail account login.

Best to use imap
port 143
The secure connection or authentication was working but they appear to have disabled it.

I also recommend Thunderbird, Its setup wizard will find the correct settings for most common mail accounts including talktalk. Just put in your address.
I would only use WLM if I had hotmail/live accounts that do not support imap, only pop/webdav.
Old 12-January-2010, 20:27
Screamager

Bingo. Thanks Scoobs. Problem was I was using the phonenumber@talktalk.net instead of the actual email address. Resolved now in WLM. Thanks again.
Old 12-January-2010, 20:33
Austin_KW

Also switch to imap; POP is a crippled protocol.

If you do use pop make sure that you leave a copy of message on server, but it still will not keep your folder in synch across your PC(s) and webmail/
Old 12-January-2010, 20:58
Screamager

Hi Austin. Also meant to thank you. Will switch to imap. Will that keep a copy on the server and are the settings the same?
Old 12-January-2010, 21:05
Austin_KW

portocol is imap
port is 143.

Dont remember W Live mail, you may later need to right click on the account and pick which folder your synchronise, whether your auto download messages or just headers etc.
Old 12-January-2010, 21:11
Screamager

Cant see anything that lets me change the protocol in WLM, but I checked the web based service and the mails that were downloaded to WLM are still on the web service.
Old 13-January-2010, 11:59
Screamager

Dont believe it! installed Thunderbird on my own pc. It auto detected as IMAP and then proceeded to download every email from my Google account. Worse still, the mails have now disappeared from my Gmail web service, all 10,000 of them. Wasn't what I was expecting. Any way I can get them back?
Old 13-January-2010, 12:16
Screamager

Panic over. I read more about IMAP and didn't realise that it syncs. So when I got 10,000 mails in my TB inbox I moved them to trash and it obviously did the same on Gmail. So all the messages are in trash and still accessible. One question. If I delete the messages from trash in TB, what will it do to the emails on Gmail? Will it permanently delete them?
Old 13-January-2010, 14:53
Austin_KW

Create an new folder in the thunderbird account. Set the new folder to synch. Move all the mail to the folder.
If you delete them from the deleted folder it will synch the deletes and delete them in gmail.
Old 13-January-2010, 15:06
Screamager

Austin, I meant how can I delete the emails permanently from TB (and free up HDD space) but keep them in Gmail so I have them all.
Old 13-January-2010, 15:29
Austin_KW

Sorry I was not clear.
I suggest the you move the mail from a deleted folder to a new folder say called archive.
Then not synch that archive folder.
I suggest you do create and the move in gmail webmail. There is a select all button and move function.

Then set the new archive folder not to synch in folder.

To select which folders synch
Tools-> account settings
"account name"->synchronisation & storage.
Message Synchronisation -> Advanced
Expand the accountName and deselect the new archive folder so it does not synchronise.

I also have my synchronisation set to only sync items less than 30 days old.

Also thinking about it the lable archive may already exist.
Old 13-January-2010, 18:07
Screamager

Austin so if I create the archive folder in Thunderbird it should sync and create an archive folder in Gmail? Then in Gmail I move the trash to the archive folder which will sync the trash to the archive folder in TB. Then I set the archive folder in TB (presumably by removing the "tick" in the download column next to the folder in the message sync - advanced option?). Then for good measure I can set the sync options not to sync greater than 30 days and then, finally, delete the mails out of the archive folder in TB, leaving them intact in Gmail?

Not sure what you meant by the label archive already existing.

Thanks.
Old 13-January-2010, 18:16
Screamager

Just tried that with a test email. I unchecked the new folder in the download column in the sync options but when i deleted the mail from TB it still deleted it from Gmail.
Old 13-January-2010, 18:20
Austin_KW

Yes,

But, I remembered that gmail already has an Archive label (which I think is a folder when viewed in Imap).

So I was suggesting that you move the deleted contents back to the archive folder and not have the archive folder synch.

Though, it may be easier to move everything in gmail webmail. So you dont have the overhead of synching/moving via the net.

I would do the move in webmail, then delete the current TB account.
Add back the TB account and only synch the last 30 days. Which is probably what you really want,

Imap is very powerful but you do have to remember that changes are synch'd back to the server.
Old 13-January-2010, 19:40
Screamager

Thanks Austin. Sorted. I moved everything back in Gmail and then chickened out and went back to POP3 until I understand IMAP a bit better! POP3 suits me for now. Thanks for the help.

Tags
broadband, connection, email, free, google, hdd, hotmail, imap, mail, make, phone, port, settings, smtp, talk, talktalk, web, windows